Old 01-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Glen Able

Default Unwanted Leylandii

I have a Leylandii hedge (which I'm fairly content with, thanks Just
past it is what I assume is a spare tree that was left when the hedge was
planted. It has that same lemony (?) smell. It's pretty thick and shaggy
looking and currently stands at about 18'.

I have nothing in particular against it, the local birdlife loves it. But
I'm sure it's grown about 3' just in the one year we've been living here.
As the garden's only 20 feet or so wide, I guess it could soon be a problem.

Does it sound like Leylandii? Would I be wise to terminate it? Is there a
best time to do this so as to least disturb the blackbirds etc. that are so
fond of it?

thanks,
G.A.

Old 01-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Glen Able" writes:

| I have a Leylandii hedge (which I'm fairly content with, thanks Just
| past it is what I assume is a spare tree that was left when the hedge was
| planted. It has that same lemony (?) smell. It's pretty thick and shaggy
| looking and currently stands at about 18'.

Are the leaves similar, do they grow similarly and is the bark similar?
If three yesses, then it will be that or a close relative.

| I have nothing in particular against it, the local birdlife loves it. But
| I'm sure it's grown about 3' just in the one year we've been living here.
| As the garden's only 20 feet or so wide, I guess it could soon be a problem.

It sounds like leylandii and, yes, it will be.

| Does it sound like Leylandii? Would I be wise to terminate it? Is there a
| best time to do this so as to least disturb the blackbirds etc. that are so
| fond of it?

Terminate it with extreme prejudice at maximum dispatch. I.e. now
is good, but any time by the end of January (February in colder
parts) would be fine.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:07 PM
nambucca

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Glen Able" writes:

| I have a Leylandii hedge (which I'm fairly content with, thanks

Just
| past it is what I assume is a spare tree that was left when the hedge

was
| planted. It has that same lemony (?) smell. It's pretty thick and

shaggy
| looking and currently stands at about 18'.

Are the leaves similar, do they grow similarly and is the bark similar?
If three yesses, then it will be that or a close relative.

| I have nothing in particular against it, the local birdlife loves it.

But
| I'm sure it's grown about 3' just in the one year we've been living

here.
| As the garden's only 20 feet or so wide, I guess it could soon be a

problem.

It sounds like leylandii and, yes, it will be.

| Does it sound like Leylandii? Would I be wise to terminate it? Is

there a
| best time to do this so as to least disturb the blackbirds etc. that

are so
| fond of it?

Terminate it with extreme prejudice at maximum dispatch. I.e. now
is good, but any time by the end of January (February in colder
parts) would be fine.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

A leylandii hedge in a mere 20ft wide garden will sure make its presense
felt

Old 01-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Glen Able" writes:

[...]

That "lemony" smell. I wonder if the tres could be Cupressus
macrocarpa, Monterey Cypress? Still a nuisance, I'd say.

Mike.

Old 01-12-2004, 07:39 PM
ned

"nambucca" wrote in message

snip
A leylandii hedge in a mere 20ft wide garden will sure make its

presense
felt

..... only if it is left unmanaged.
If the bonsai folk can grow a tree in a saucer, it is not outwith the
wit of man to control leylandii.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 12.11.2004

Old 02-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "ned" contains these words:
"nambucca" wrote in message

snip
A leylandii hedge in a mere 20ft wide garden will sure make its
presense felt

..... only if it is left unmanaged.
If the bonsai folk can grow a tree in a saucer, it is not outwith the
wit of man to control leylandii.

Quite. My neighbour has a Leylandii hedge which encloses aout half an
acre of garden, and he keeps it trimmed to about eight feet high and two
feet thick.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Unwanted Vines Gwen Morse Gardening 11 04-05-2004 07:02 AM
Questions about weed/unwanted growth Gwen Morse Gardening 3 22-04-2004 12:02 PM
Unwanted bamboo Jon Bamboo 9 09-03-2004 01:25 AM
unwanted lime trees Gary Eckersall United Kingdom 9 01-09-2003 05:22 PM
How to get rid of unwanted fescues Kudzu Gardening 2 14-04-2003 05:44 AM