Old 08-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Tom Atkinson

Default storm damage

Wondering how everyone fared with the storms sweeping UK. We are in
N.Ireland
and the very high winds uprooted a eucalyptus
and it fell on my favourite Euphorbia that had
buds on every stem. In addition we had missing tiles and broken aerial.

Tom Atkinson

Old 08-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Phil L

Tom Atkinson wrote:
:: Wondering how everyone fared with the storms sweeping UK. We are in
:: N.Ireland
:: and the very high winds uprooted a eucalyptus
:: and it fell on my favourite Euphorbia that had
:: buds on every stem. In addition we had missing tiles and broken
:: aerial.

Lancs:

Three panels from fence disappeared, two panes of glass from greenhouse roof
AWOL....various tubs, planters and boxes swirling around like dead leaves.

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 08-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Martin Brown

Tom Atkinson wrote:

Wondering how everyone fared with the storms sweeping UK. We are in
N.Ireland

North Yorkshire in a fairly windy spot - gusts to 90mph. Woke up this
morning to loud noises and lots of very gusty wind. The power was
erratic and looking out showed why. A neighbour's large beech tree was
down across the road, held up in part by the new 3 phase mains cable.
The cable support poles were all bent like bananas! Mine is one of the
few fixed line phone connections still working.

All roads from the village blocked by fallen trees. Spent most of the
day helping clear roads. Garden shed totally annihilated - became a sort
of bent and twisted semi-flat pack. Otherwise we only lost a few roof
tiles and are praying nothing more serious hits us tonight. Repairs are
needed and the weather is still too active for compfort.

A couple of villagers lost serious chunks of roof tiles, the village
hall suffered roof damage and its old weather vane flew off.

Compared to the floods in Carlisle it seems we got off lightly.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 08-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
Tom Atkinson wrote:

[...]

At the top end of Wensleydale we got off comparatively lightly. There
was a howling wind, rain and sleet all through the night,and early
morning. There is a fair amount of flooding around and about in the
fields, but the town does not seem to have suffered any damage worth
talking about. One 15 inch diameter sycamore fell over just on the
other side of the river, causing no serious damage.

Franz

Old 08-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Tom Atkinson wrote:
Wondering how everyone fared with the storms sweeping UK. We are in
N.Ireland
and the very high winds uprooted a eucalyptus
and it fell on my favourite Euphorbia that had
buds on every stem. In addition we had missing tiles and broken aerial.

Nothing here (Cambridge). Strong winds predicted, but only very
moderate ones occurred.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 08-01-2005, 09:28 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Tom Atkinson wrote:
Wondering how everyone fared with the storms sweeping UK. We are in
N.Ireland
and the very high winds uprooted a eucalyptus
and it fell on my favourite Euphorbia that had
buds on every stem. In addition we had missing tiles and broken aerial.

Nothing here (Cambridge). Strong winds predicted, but only very
moderate ones occurred.

Here in Wisbech there were very strong winds. I lost a dead tree. but
otherwise suffered no damage however all around branches off, trees down
etc.

Old 09-01-2005, 01:36 AM
andrewpreece

Devon: plenty of wind blowing windows and doors shut and dustbins around,
but no visible damage. We weren't in the forecast hotspots though.

Andy.

Old 09-01-2005, 06:15 AM
Alan Gould

Strong wind and heavy rain in North Lincs. A very large and very old
hawthorn tree came down onto a sleeper built compost box and uprooted
part of a dyke. No crisis, but lots of repair and clearing work to do.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Sacha

On 9/1/05 1:36, in article , "andrewpreece"
wrote:

Devon: plenty of wind blowing windows and doors shut and dustbins around,
but no visible damage. We weren't in the forecast hotspots though.

Andy.

Same in this bit of Devon - one or two slates off the house and some pots
blown over, though not broken, thank goodness. But I noticed that the River
Dart at Staverton bridge was very high yesterday so I think Dartmoor must
have seen a lot more rain than we have here.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-01-2005, 06:20 PM
Rod

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 15:13:48 -0000, "Tom Atkinson"
wrote:

Wondering how everyone fared with the storms sweeping UK. We are in
N.Ireland
and the very high winds uprooted a eucalyptus
and it fell on my favourite Euphorbia that had
buds on every stem. In addition we had missing tiles and broken aerial.

Tom Atkinson

Just dead branches and twigs down here on the N. Wales coast, inland
serious flooding in Llanrwst and some low lying fields flooded in the
Vale of Clwyd. Whilst out yesterday afternoon in the Clwydians I saw
cleared remains of sizable trees by the roadside in several places.
The winds during the week got our bonfires going like good uns in the
area we're clearing for replanting.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.

Old 09-01-2005, 06:59 PM
David Cleland

What part of NI are you in ?

I had two bay trees blown over and the pots smashed - I also had a bush
basically wrecked by the wind- virtually nothing but the base left.

David

Old 09-01-2005, 11:11 PM
David Cleland

I live in tandragee, co Armagh . Apparently Tandragee means backside to the
wind!!

i live at the maze which is the backside of nowhere and it is wild stormy
again tonight - I know a few folk from down there work with a teacher from
there too.

David

Old 10-01-2005, 11:07 AM
Franz Heymann

"David Cleland" wrote in message
I live in tandragee, co Armagh . Apparently Tandragee means

backside to the
wind!!

i live at the maze which is the backside of nowhere and it is

wild stormy
again tonight - I know a few folk from down there work with a

teacher from
there too.

David, please leave the headers, otherwise we don't know whom you are
speaking to.

Franz

Old 10-01-2005, 11:07 AM
Franz Heymann

"Tom Atkinson" wrote in message
"David Cleland" wrote in message
What part of NI are you in ?

I live in tandragee, co Armagh . Apparently Tandragee means backside

to the
wind!!
Tom Atkinson

I took the liberty of indicating to you where your reply should have
been placed.

Franz