Old 11-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Spider

David Cleland wrote in message
Is this the tree

http://www.cambridge2000.com/gallery/html/PA099050.html

that is class but I am wondering how it would do in between my house and
fence. Can it be pruned down each year ?

David

Yes, David, that is certainly the tree; glad you're impressed.
I do prune mine lightly, but if you pruned it to fit between your house and
the fence, it would hardly be the same tree. Can't you move your house :-}
? It would be worth it.

Some of the deciduous Berberis spp., particularly the deciduous ones, will
give similar seasonal colour; they are about the right size and are
available from most garden centres/nurseries.

Spider

Old 11-01-2005, 05:53 PM
Glen Able

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Glen Able wrote:

B. globosa is a great plant, but doesn't it lose next year's flowers if

you
prune it? Unpruned ones seem to reach 12' pretty quick, too. Btw, I

don't
think mine can quite decide if it wants to be evergreen or not - since
November every green leaf seems to be next to a dead brown leaf that

doesn't
want to fall off.

No. As with clematis, most summer-flowering buddleia flower on the
current year's growth. You can take it back with shears and a hatchet
in winter, and it will be happy - just like B. davidii.

To paraphrase from the RHS Pruning & Training book:
B. globosa develops flower clusters on terminal shoots from the previous
season's wood. If you prune stems in late winter you lose the flowering tip
and hence the next season's flowers. (Although it will recover quickly and
will produce vigorous shoots giving many flowers the year after).

I wonder if Buddleia x weyeriana should be pruned like the davidii or the
globosa, though? It's not in my book and it flowers much later than
globosa.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:03 PM
David Cleland

"Spider" wrote in message

David Cleland wrote in message
Is this the tree

http://www.cambridge2000.com/gallery/html/PA099050.html

that is class but I am wondering how it would do in between my house and
fence. Can it be pruned down each year ?

David

Yes, David, that is certainly the tree; glad you're impressed.
I do prune mine lightly, but if you pruned it to fit between your house
and
the fence, it would hardly be the same tree. Can't you move your house
:-}
? It would be worth it.

Some of the deciduous Berberis spp., particularly the deciduous ones, will
give similar seasonal colour; they are about the right size and are
available from most garden centres/nurseries.

What are the roots like - would they cause a problem near a house ?

David

Old 11-01-2005, 06:50 PM
Glen Able

"Kay" wrote in message

My recollection from urg is that B davidii can be pruned gently after
flowering and cut right back later, but that B globosa should be pruned
in late winter. I assumed this was because B globosa goes on flowering a
lot later.

That is therefore what I have done for the last couple of years, and
have still had flowers.

Admittedly, mine isn't the species, but a variety with globose flowers
in an apricot shade.

If you can't prune B globosa in from late winter onwards, then just how
are you supposed to restrict it in size?

Yours sounds more like Buddleia x weyeriana - is that possible? ISTR my
globosa finished flowering before the davidii started, and the weyeriana
started after both and still had flowers on it into November last year.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Glen Able

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

I suggest buddleia globosa. It will reach the size you want in the
first season. In Ireland's mild climate (and mine) it's evergreen, hard
pruning will keep it dense and shapely, and it's reliably windproof
here (overlooking the sea, has shrugged off gale-force winds all
winter). In summer it produces masses of yellow ball flowers which
attract many butterflies. It doesn't get pests or diseases, is not
poisonous or thorny or rash-inducing, the roots won't endanger your
foundations or drains, and new plants are easily propagated by sticking

Why d'you reckon it won't hurt drains? (I'm not arguing with you at all,
just asking
I'm very keen (read: desperate) to find shrubs I can plant in my empty front
garden. Anything I plant on the boundary will be right alongside my
neighbours' drain and I can't find any info anywhere about what might be
safe.

Old 11-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Registered User

Location: North East England

buddleai davidii becomes a huge shrub if left, and a big shrub if pruned!
The one in my mom's garden would be pruned every april, right back to stumps, and then it would sprout like mad and prioduce shoots upto 8 foot long(I kid you not!) Long stems but not as bushy, but if you prune it lighter you get more stems of shorter length.
Just goes to show, if you want something to grow, prune it!
__________________
If it can be grown I want it. If it can't I still want it!
Old 11-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay wrote:

My recollection from urg is that B davidii can be pruned gently after
flowering and cut right back later, but that B globosa should be pruned
in late winter. I assumed this was because B globosa goes on flowering a
lot later.

B. davidii flowers on the current season's growth, and can be cut
back any time from after flowering to the next spring. B. globosa
is actually a little earlier.

Admittedly, mine isn't the species, but a variety with globose flowers
in an apricot shade.

That might be B. x weyeriana. When does it flower? B. globosa
flowers in June, though my recollection is that it flowers in
July if pruned hard in winter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Sacha
writes

Eleagnus ebbingei is beautifully fragrant,

Is it better than angustifolium Sacha?

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 12-01-2005, 02:55 PM
Sacha

On 12/1/05 10:15, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

Eleagnus ebbingei is beautifully fragrant,

Is it better than angustifolium Sacha?

We think E. angustifolium is the more strongly fragrant. It's one that we
have in the bottom of our garden and the scent wafts a long way. Many
people don't realise what it is that's so smelly and are amazed when they
find out. Personally, I prefer that one but E. ebbingei 'Limelight' has the
advantage of pretty variegated leaves and that might appeal more to people
who have to restrict their choices somewhat! Plus of course, it doesn't
grow as high as E.angustifolium which is said to go to 6m, as opposed to
E. ebbingei's 3m.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Kay

In article , Glen Able
writes

Yours sounds more like Buddleia x weyeriana - is that possible?

Yes. Reading the Google hits it didn't sound like it, but looking at the
pic in the new RHS A-Z I think that's what it is. It has apricot balls
skewered on to each shoot, rather than the cluster of lollipops in the B
globosa picture. And it was certainly still in flower in November and I
think December. So I shall pretend it's a davidii from now on ;-)

Isn't that one of the glories of urg? - you get bulldozed into learning
all sorts of things you never had any intention of learning ;-)
--
Kay

Old 12-01-2005, 04:51 PM
Kay

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Kay wrote:

Admittedly, mine isn't the species, but a variety with globose flowers
in an apricot shade.

That might be B. x weyeriana.

So it would seem.
I wonder where I got it from? It was given to me as a globosa. Actually,
I'm quite pleased it isn't - I don't like the colour of globosa and find
this one a lot more pleasing.

--
Kay

Old 12-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay writes:

| That might be B. x weyeriana.
|
| So it would seem.
| I wonder where I got it from? It was given to me as a globosa. Actually,
| I'm quite pleased it isn't - I don't like the colour of globosa and find
| this one a lot more pleasing.

My wife has taken against "yellow blobs in spring", so I am not
allowed a B. globosa. I agree with her about Kerria but quite
liked B. globosa's vulgarity :-)

So whether my memory of pruning it is correct will probably
never be rediscovered.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Spider

"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

I have grown various Berberis - in heavy clay - and had no real problems
with roots and buildings/drains. However, I suggest you cut B.Stenophylla
from any potential shopping list, as it tends to be aggressively
stoloniferous (certifiably nomadic!) and starts to hog the garden once
established.

A trip to your local garden centre in April (general flowering time) should
supply a selection of Berberis, both deciduous and evergreen. The evergreen
ones are excellent too, but you miss out on the autumn leaf colour. For
this, purple forms are best.

If you are not aware of it, Berberis are rather prickly shrubs. This may
concern you, as you have children to consider, but as has been discussed
already, education is a wonderful thing. I hope this does not put you off.

Spider

Old 15-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , GreenLarry
writes

buddleai davidii becomes a huge shrub if left, and a big shrub if
pruned!
The one in my mom's garden would be pruned every april, right back to

stumps,
and then it would sprout like mad and prioduce shoots upto 8

foot long(I kid you
not!) Long stems but not as bushy, but if you

prune it lighter you get more
stems of shorter length.
Just goes to show, if you want something to grow, prune it!

--
GreenLarry

Mine get to 10 feet or more, but I only prune them back to 2 or so feet.
Useful source of material for staking other plants.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 15-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Magwitch

Nick Maclaren muttered:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
On 9/1/05 20:24, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
David Cleland wrote:
What about this bush

Most common hawthorns (and there are several) meet your requirements,
as do several of the bushy plums. They can be pruned hard, are very
tough and get quite thick. There should be some decent nurseries in
Northern Ireland which will stock some.

If you have a SERIOUSLY windy site, you will need to get a sloe (Prunus
spinosa), which is one of the very few shrubs that will thrive on a
western headland. But I doubt you have such an extreme garden.

He did, originally, ask for something 4-6' high.

Well, that's about what sloe will eventually get to on a windswept
site :-)

Yes. To clarify what I said about "bushy plums" - the gean is
probably not a good idea, but there are lots of others that are ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

How about a Rosa rugosa? When we were in Sweden there were huge banks of
this growing almost on the beach so obviously no problems with wind or cold
- you can prune them back, and you'd get flowers all summer and hips in the
winter.