Old 09-01-2005, 01:12 PM
David Cleland

Default bush recommendations

anyone recommend a tree or bush that will take a bit of wind beating ?
Ideally will spread 2-3 feet in area and be 4-6 feet high.

David

Old 09-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Spider

David Cleland wrote in message
anyone recommend a tree or bush that will take a bit of wind beating ?
Ideally will spread 2-3 feet in area and be 4-6 feet high.

David

Hi David,

Crataegus - aka Hawthorn, Quick, May - is very good at coping with wind, as
a tree or a shrub. In your situation, where height is limited, you are
obliged to have a shrub. The common hawthorn, C. monogyna, flowers in
May/June and produces berries in autumn which birds love.

If you've got room for a tree and want a good (grafted) cultivar, I can
recommend C.x persimilis 'Prunifolia'. It has glossy, toothed, cherry-like
leaves (without the leaf curl!), which turn orange, red and
burgundyfollowing the first frosts. It is glorious. I have never seen it
grown as a shrub though - unless other urglers know different ..

Spider

Old 09-01-2005, 05:19 PM
David Cleland

Tamarisk, Escallonia, Olearia, Eleagnus ebbingei is beautifully fragrant,
though some trimming will be be needed to keep all of them just where you
want but that applies to most things. ;-)

Does your nursery do mail order ?

David

Old 09-01-2005, 06:58 PM
David Cleland

If you've got room for a tree and want a good (grafted) cultivar, I can
recommend C.x persimilis 'Prunifolia'. It has glossy, toothed,
cherry-like
leaves (without the leaf curl!), which turn orange, red and
burgundyfollowing the first frosts. It is glorious. I have never seen it
grown as a shrub though - unless other urglers know different ..

I would have room - is it thick - I just want something that is dense. it is
to go at the side of my house -about 4-5 feet from wall beside a fence. The
slight problem is - (if it even is a problem) is that there are pipes under
this area for the heating - or am I being paranoid.

THe tree sounds great - is there a pic anywhere ?

david

Old 09-01-2005, 08:00 PM
David Cleland

Is this the tree

http://www.cambridge2000.com/gallery/html/PA099050.html

that is class but I am wondering how it would do in between my house and
fence. Can it be pruned down each year ?

David

Old 09-01-2005, 08:13 PM
David Cleland

What about this bush

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ges/8306.shtml

the problem is - how do I go about getting a tree once I have selected it -
are there any good uk mailorder companies that ship to Northern Ireland ?

David

Old 09-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
David Cleland wrote:
What about this bush

Most common hawthorns (and there are several) meet your requirements,
as do several of the bushy plums. They can be pruned hard, are very
tough and get quite thick. There should be some decent nurseries in
Northern Ireland which will stock some.

If you have a SERIOUSLY windy site, you will need to get a sloe (Prunus
spinosa), which is one of the very few shrubs that will thrive on a
western headland. But I doubt you have such an extreme garden.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Sacha

On 9/1/05 20:24, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
David Cleland wrote:
What about this bush

Most common hawthorns (and there are several) meet your requirements,
as do several of the bushy plums. They can be pruned hard, are very
tough and get quite thick. There should be some decent nurseries in
Northern Ireland which will stock some.

If you have a SERIOUSLY windy site, you will need to get a sloe (Prunus
spinosa), which is one of the very few shrubs that will thrive on a
western headland. But I doubt you have such an extreme garden.

He did, originally, ask for something 4-6' high.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-01-2005, 08:44 PM
David Cleland

Thanks Sacha - I live in Lisburn Northern Ireland

David

Sorry, no. But the RHS Plant Finder should help you to find suppliers.
Or
if you email me with your location I'll see who and what I can find for
your
area.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-01-2005, 09:15 PM
Registered User

Location: North East England

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cleland
anyone recommend a tree or bush that will take a bit of wind beating ?
Ideally will spread 2-3 feet in area and be 4-6 feet high.

David
How about Sea Buckthorn, very tough, as it grows near the coast.
http://www.agr.gc.ca/pfra/shelterbelt/wild18.jpg
Sea-Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.)
Picture of sea-buckthorn

Sea-buckthorn was introduced from Eurasia and is sometimes found naturalized in the wild. This shrub or small tree is drought resistant and well adapted for growth on sandy soil and steep slopes. It also possesses some tolerance to salinity.

Sea-buckthorn will reach a height of 2 to 5 metres and has a tendency to sucker if the roots are injured. Male and female flowers are produced on separate plants. Both are required in a stand for fruit production.

The branches are grey and spiny with silvery-white leaves. Small yellowish flowers appear in spring before the leaves and attractive yellowish-orange berries follow. The berries remain on the tree through winter.
Uses for Wildlife:

Deer browse seabuckthorn and the fruit is an important source of winter food for pheasants and other game birds.
__________________
If it can be grown I want it. If it can't I still want it!
Old 10-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
On 9/1/05 20:24, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
David Cleland wrote:
What about this bush

Most common hawthorns (and there are several) meet your requirements,
as do several of the bushy plums. They can be pruned hard, are very
tough and get quite thick. There should be some decent nurseries in
Northern Ireland which will stock some.

If you have a SERIOUSLY windy site, you will need to get a sloe (Prunus
spinosa), which is one of the very few shrubs that will thrive on a
western headland. But I doubt you have such an extreme garden.

He did, originally, ask for something 4-6' high.

Well, that's about what sloe will eventually get to on a windswept
site :-)

Yes. To clarify what I said about "bushy plums" - the gean is
probably not a good idea, but there are lots of others that are ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.