Old 16-01-2005, 06:50 PM
anton

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
anton wrote:
:: "nambucca" wrote in message
:: ...
:::
::: "Phil L" wrote in message
::: k...
::::
:::: There's no need to hate them Keith, they are merely trying to
:::: survive just like you.
::
:: Dunno about that. Various forms of life 'trying to survive' are
:: best dealt with without mercy. Maybe if that squirrel had left
:: me one single hazelnut from the bushes in my front orchard his
:: survival chances would be a little better.

So it wasn't human gross stupidity to plant a hazelnut bush in squirrel
country then?

Ah - squirrel country! You mean all of England, do you? (dunno how far
the grey fluffy-tailed rats have spread into Wales & Scotland).

Apart from being squirrel country, it's also rat country, mouse country,
badger country, mole country, rabbit country, little-owl country,
sparrow-hawk country, fox country, hare country, etc- and also human
country, hen country, sheep country, etc. If some of the individual
squirrels come into conflict with some of the other organisms they might
lose out. Tough life, innit?

In short, regarding all of England as 'squirrel country' is buffoonery, and
to regard planting some hazel bushes as 'gross stupidity is buffooneryer.

:::: Perhaps if humans were a bit tidier in their habits, rodents
:::: would be less of a problem?
:::
::: Actually if humans stopped leaving apples rotting on the ground
::: and stopped putting out bread for the birds the Rat population
::: would decline
::
:: Such balls. Before our current time of plentiful food, apples
:: rotting on the ground, KFC throwaways in every bin and bread put
:: out for birds, rats were really rare, weren't they?
::
Actually, yes, their populations have boomed in line with our food
consumtion.

I doubt it. I would guess that their population boomed in line our wasted
food, which in the days of rat-infested granaries was very high.

::: Too many people even rural dwellers think rats are
::: inevitable
::
:: and you know better than these many people, eh?
::
::: and fail to
::: see their own stupidity as the cause
::
:: stupidity exacerbates the rat problem- it doesn't create it, sonny.

Rats find food, if there's none around, they move on to where there is

some,
simple really.

You mean 50- yds in one direction where one neighbour keeps horses, or 50
yds in another where another keeps horses? And horses are such tidy eaters,
aren't they? And rats find it so hard to roam 50 yards, don't they?

--
Anton

Large mice or rats attacking my peas [email protected] United Kingdom 4 08-04-2016 12:45 PM
Mice blasted mice Broadback[_2_] United Kingdom 42 22-12-2009 07:06 PM
Rats, Rats, R-A-T-S J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 13 07-08-2003 03:32 AM
Thanks Rats and mice SG1 Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Rats and mice Just a little bit Australia 12 05-04-2003 06:34 AM