Old 18-01-2005, 09:01 PM
Chris Hogg

Many thanks to everyone for the replies.

Martin, there's plenty of sound medical opinion and research on the
benefits of Lutein and Zeaxanthin on macular degeneration. If you
search PubMed http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi
for abstracts of medical research papers, using lutein zeaxanthin
macular as your search criteria, you'll get over 100 hits. I don't
have AMD, but I am T2 diabetic, and we are prone to eye problems
(retinopathy) that have much in common with AMD.

Klara, thank you for correcting my spelling. It does help with the
Google search :-) (collared greens are amongst other things, shorthand
for a ring-necked green parakeet, it seems. LOL). Pictures of Collards
look remarkably like Spring Greens (a big field of which we have right
next door, probably several 100,000 plants!) and they're mentioned
together in the same sentence on unhearted cabbage, in an agricultural
almanack I have. But Google makes me think they're not exactly the
same. Failing all else, they might make a suitable alternative.

Pam, I agree most Google hits were recipes! Thanks for the link on
lutein content of veggies. Here are a few links in return.
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...12_169-196.pdf
http://www.transceiver.com/eye/pdf/E...teinZeaxan.pdf
http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content...act/134/9/2387

--
Chris

Old 18-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Martin Brown

Chris Hogg wrote:

Many thanks to everyone for the replies.

Martin, there's plenty of sound medical opinion and research on the
benefits of Lutein and Zeaxanthin on macular degeneration. If you
search PubMed http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi
for abstracts of medical research papers, using lutein zeaxanthin
macular as your search criteria, you'll get over 100 hits. I don't
have AMD, but I am T2 diabetic, and we are prone to eye problems
(retinopathy) that have much in common with AMD.

I'm sorry but a fair proportion of the stuff there is less than
convincing. Eating fresh fruit and green vegetables is good for you.
Junk food is bad. Pills to fix up a junk food habit are also bad.

By all means grow and eat some collard greens if it makes you feel
better (seeds are cheap), but don't shell out good money for suppliment
pills to the charlatans who prey on people's fear of going blind.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 18-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:11:22 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

One could always shoot and eat collard doves instead.

Collard greens.
Collared doves.
Subtle difference.

Here's one item about lutein in relation to AMD.
http://www.mdsupport.org/library/lutzean.html
What you think about it depends on which side of the fence you are on.
A drowning man may clutch at straws. Those of us already affected by
AMD will take what seems to be helpful. If I can grow my own, so much
better than paying a fortune for pills.
so come on folks, can anyone please find me a supplier in UK of seeds
for collard greens?

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-01-2005, 12:01 AM
Jim

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
Chris Hogg wrote:

[...]

Glad you folks mentioned Collard Greens. I was raised as a "Redneck" and
loved them. My brother is over there and I'll get him to send some seeds
ASAP. The greens are a long (10 or 12 inch) thickish wide leaf with loads of
pleasant flavour. Boil them up like cabbage leaves. I hope to grow them here
in NE England. The following recipe is a bit over the top but I can smell it
cookin' now.http://www.chitterlings.com/collards.html

Old 19-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Registered User

Try getting in touch with seedfest.co.uk They don't list collard greens on the UK site but they were contained in my multi pack of veg seeds from them. They sell anioleka seeds from America so may be able to just get you collards. If all else fails I'll see how many seeds I've got and whether I need them all.

Old 19-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Martin Brown

Chris Hogg wrote:

[...]

It seems like you could make some pin money by selling on collard green
seeds on to the folk here who want to grow them. It isn't commonly
offered by UK seedsmen.

Fresh fruit and green vegetables are all good healthy sources of
vitamins. I still think the whole thing is an exploitative scam to sell
pills to a very vulnerable group of people.

They probably won't do any harm in moderation although someone did once
manage to kill themselves with carrot juice (vitamin A poisoning). More
of a hazard for Arctic explorers that eat too much polar bear liver.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 19-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:01:34 +0000 (UTC), "Jim"
(remove $ ) wrote:

Glad you folks mentioned Collard Greens. I was raised as a "Redneck" and
loved them. My brother is over there and I'll get him to send some seeds
ASAP. The greens are a long (10 or 12 inch) thickish wide leaf with loads of
pleasant flavour. Boil them up like cabbage leaves. I hope to grow them here
in NE England.

Jim, a breakthrough at last!
Please can I either buy some from you or can you tell me the US
company who I can order from.

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Martin Brown

Pam Moore wrote:

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:55:12 +0100, wrote:

Did you try googling, Pam?

I Googled for ages yesterday and all I got was recipes. NO SEED

Google: "Collard greens seeds" from various US seedsmen

http://www.heirloomseeds.com/sthrn-veg.htm
http://www.kitchengardenseeds.com/cg...t&_category=88
http://www.aaoobfoods.com/nonhybrids...llard%20Greens

Amongst others. It occurs to me that kale seems almost as good.

You might want to choose one that will tolerate UK temperatures and
short summers.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 19-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Dwayne

"DJBrenton" wrote in message
news

Try getting in touch with seedfest.co.uk They don't list collard greens
on the UK site but they were contained in my multi pack of veg seeds
from them. They sell anioleka seeds from America so may be able to just
get you collards. If all else fails I'll see how many seeds I've got and
whether I need them all.

--
DJBrenton

I just called one of the catalog companies I buy from and they will sell to
people in England with a credit card. Their web site is
Territorialseed.com. They will also send a catalog and charge the extra
postage. In addition to collards and other veggies, they sell some very
pretty flowers that are not the normal ones that I am able to find.

Dwayne

Old 19-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Dwayne

Pam Moore wrote:

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:55:12 +0100, wrote:

Did you try googling, Pam?

I Googled for ages yesterday and all I got was recipes. NO SEED

Google: "Collard greens seeds" from various US seedsmen

http://www.heirloomseeds.com/sthrn-veg.htm
http://www.kitchengardenseeds.com/cg...t&_category=88
http://www.aaoobfoods.com/nonhybrids...llard%20Greens

Amongst others. It occurs to me that kale seems almost as good.

You might want to choose one that will tolerate UK temperatures and short
summers.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Kale is very good, as is turnip greens. The Orientals also harvest some of
the greens from radishes, leaving enough to support the root portion of the
harvest.

Dwayne

Old 19-01-2005, 08:14 PM
Mike Lyle

wrote:

One could always shoot and eat collard doves instead.

Collard greens.
Collared doves.
Subtle difference.

[...]
My comic genius is wasted on some people. My mother had a delicious
Collard boudoir grand. Made out of broad wood, it was.

Mike.

Old 20-01-2005, 12:27 AM
Jim

(remove $ ) wrote:

Glad you folks mentioned Collard Greens. I was raised as a "Redneck" and
loved them. My brother is over there and I'll get him to send some seeds
ASAP. The greens are a long (10 or 12 inch) thickish wide leaf with loads

of
pleasant flavour. Boil them up like cabbage leaves. I hope to grow them

here
in NE England.

Jim, a breakthrough at last!
Please can I either buy some from you or can you tell me the US
company who I can order from.

Pam in Bristol

Hi Pam. I won't be buying from a company. I'll get the seeds sent in by my
brother in Arkansas or sister in Mississippi. Seeds are cheap and my sister
has a few things to send anyway. I'll send you some seeds if you can send
some Bristol weather to Berwick in return. Remind me in about 4 to 6 weeks.
Cheers--Jim

Old 20-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:59:15 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

I come across this term occasionally, especially in respect of its
Lutein and Zeaxanthin content, good for reducing the risk of
age-related macular degeneration (AMD, a form of partial blindness).
I'm not a vegetable gardener but I think it's an American term and I
assume it's a type of cabbage. Do we have a name for it over here?

Correct spelling is "collard". Known familiarly as "collards". A
brassica with rather bitterish foliage that is something of an
acquired taste.

Really a food of the American South (sc. southeastern states), a real
down-home food, somewhat associated with a poverty-stricken lifestyle.

But I can't tell you one thing about their culture other than to emit
a suspicion that they may be a warm-weather crop. Remember, in South
Carolina it gets up to nearly 40C by May and stays there for most of
the summer. Just a guess, you understand.

As for mystical nutritional properties, forget it. Somebody's trying
to separate you from your hard-earned money. Just eat a balanced diet
with as wide a variety of foods as you can manage and you don't need
these witch-doctor-y "nutritional supplements."

"As wide a variety of foods as you can manage" of course includes
collards if you can find or grow them without being ripped off.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, BC, Canada

Pesky Collared Doves Johno United Kingdom 25 17-11-2012 09:17 AM
Collared Doves MikeCT United Kingdom 25 12-04-2007 09:18 AM
warm weather greens Johnny Kuo North Carolina 1 15-03-2003 07:08 PM
beet greens zxcvbob Edible Gardening 1 01-02-2003 12:33 PM
Growing greens indoors JTULL5 Edible Gardening 5 28-01-2003 10:37 PM