Old 17-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Chris Hogg

Default Collared greens

I come across this term occasionally, especially in respect of its
Lutein and Zeaxanthin content, good for reducing the risk of
age-related macular degeneration (AMD, a form of partial blindness).
I'm not a vegetable gardener but I think it's an American term and I
assume it's a type of cabbage. Do we have a name for it over here?

--
Chris

Old 17-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Martin Brown

Chris Hogg wrote:

I come across this term occasionally, especially in respect of its
Lutein and Zeaxanthin content, good for reducing the risk of
age-related macular degeneration (AMD, a form of partial blindness).
I'm not a vegetable gardener but I think it's an American term and I
assume it's a type of cabbage. Do we have a name for it over here?

You have to be careful of US advertised stuff. They don't have any
perceptible advertising standards where food suppliments are concerned.

They will also sell you (expensive) exotic English bilberry pills for a
similar purpose. For some strange reason in the USA bilberry jam is
believed to have performed the function of carrots in the UK during WWII
(ie radar).

By all means grow decent fresh vegetables but don't get suckered by
spurious US health food claims for magic cure-alls.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 17-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Klara

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
I come across this term occasionally, especially in respect of its
Lutein and Zeaxanthin content, good for reducing the risk of
age-related macular degeneration (AMD, a form of partial blindness).
I'm not a vegetable gardener but I think it's an American term and I
assume it's a type of cabbage. Do we have a name for it over here?

It's collard greens, so if you google you can find:

Collards, collard greens
(Brassica oleracea var. acephala -- Family Cruciferae [Brassicaceae])

Collard greens are a form of kale. Collards arrived in the US with the
slave trade, but it is not known if they came from Africa or Haiti.
Popular in the southern US states, it is also cooked in other countries
around the Mediterranean, Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Collards is
the ancient plant of Eurasian origin and represents the oldest form of
cabbage. It remains much the same as it did centuries ago. The botanical
classification is confusing as it shares the same grouping as kale.
Acephala means headless, and is the designation that separates most kale
and collards from other cabbages (except the Black Cabbage) because the
two grow in loose bouquet forms and not a tight head.

I think you can get the seeds here

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 18-01-2005, 01:35 AM
Dwayne

On a list of greens that slow age-related macular degeneration, collard
greens are number one. Spinach was down to number 7. Turnip greens are
also very good.

Dwayne

Old 18-01-2005, 02:05 AM
Gary Woods

"Dwayne" wrote:

Turnip greens are
also very good.

Good news for those of us who are very fond of Rapini, aka broccoli raab,
which is to turnips as Swiss chard is to beets.

I was introduced to collards (the American version) by a co-worker who
persuaded me to grow some for him a few years ago and got me hooked.
They're quite hardy, and best after a hard freeze or three, which
fortunately I have in the fall.

Old 18-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Registered User

Smile

I got some collard seed as part of a mixed pack from USA. I meant to ask about it but now I don't have to
Old 18-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:59:15 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

I come across this term occasionally, especially in respect of its
Lutein and Zeaxanthin content, good for reducing the risk of
age-related macular degeneration (AMD, a form of partial blindness).
I'm not a vegetable gardener but I think it's an American term and I
assume it's a type of cabbage. Do we have a name for it over here?

No Martin, this is not a magic cure-all!
As someone affected by Macular Degeneration, I am very aware of the
necessity to eat green veg, red peppers, marigold flowers for the
lutein which they contain. Lutein is a substance found in the retina
and is reduced in quantity in MD people.

Hi Chris
I have never really discovered what collard greens actually are, but
will find out from my MD friends in USA.
Here's a web page for starters.
http://www.molliekatzen.com/superfoo...erfood0299.htm
Most pages that google turns up are recipes!
I'm pleased to read it is less strong flavoured than kale.
I would like to grow some.
I also have somewhere (!) a list of the lutein content of various
fruits and veg. When I found it I will send it on to you.

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:11:04 +0000, DJBrenton
wrote:

I got some collard seed as part of a mixed pack from USA. I meant to ask
about it but now I don't have to

Please can you give me details of the company you got them from? My
morning's searching has got me nowhere.

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:59:15 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

I come across this term occasionally, especially in respect of its
Lutein and Zeaxanthin content, good for reducing the risk of
age-related macular degeneration (AMD, a form of partial blindness).
I'm not a vegetable gardener but I think it's an American term and I
assume it's a type of cabbage. Do we have a name for it over here?

Chris, here is a list of lutein values in foods.
http://www.luteininfo.com/whereraw

I have been trying to find a supplier of seeds of collard greens in UK
but no luck so far. Have a US friend who might send me some.

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-01-2005, 06:11 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
writes:
| On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:55:06 GMT, Pam Moore
| wrote:
| On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:59:15 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:
|
| I come across this term occasionally, especially in respect of its
| Lutein and Zeaxanthin content, good for reducing the risk of
| age-related macular degeneration (AMD, a form of partial blindness).
| I'm not a vegetable gardener but I think it's an American term and I
| assume it's a type of cabbage. Do we have a name for it over here?
|
| Chris, here is a list of lutein values in foods.

http://www.luteininfo.com/whereraw

| I have been trying to find a supplier of seeds of collard greens in UK
| but no luck so far. Have a US friend who might send me some.
|
| Is there some independent research showing that eating lutein rich
| food changes the amount in the retina?

Unlikely. But a diet rich in collard greens will certainly be
good for your health in all sorts of ways. UNLIKE Kabbala water
and other such crap, it is cheap and might even save money. And
UNLIKE some of the other gimmicks, it won't harm you even in
excess.

So an elementary game theory analysis says go for it, if you feel
like it - highly scientific :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 18-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Martin Brown

wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:59:15 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

I come across this term occasionally, especially in respect of its
Lutein and Zeaxanthin content, good for reducing the risk of
age-related macular degeneration (AMD, a form of partial blindness).
I'm not a vegetable gardener but I think it's an American term and I
assume it's a type of cabbage. Do we have a name for it over here?

Chris, here is a list of lutein values in foods.
http://www.luteininfo.com/whereraw

I have been trying to find a supplier of seeds of collard greens in UK
but no luck so far. Have a US friend who might send me some.

Is there some independent research showing that eating lutein rich
food changes the amount in the retina?

If there is googling didn't find anything for me that I would trust.
Mostly US pill popping "health freak" sites offering extract of collard
greens pills (and fuelling my worst suspicions bilberry pills too).

It might be a good thing to eat fresh from the garden. Cabbage family
contain plenty of useful vitamins some of which may be beneficial for
AMD. But I am extremely sceptical of all US pseudo-medical sites that
are principally selling their expensive herbal extract pills.

By all means grow them and enjoy fresh fruit and vegetables. It is a far
better option than subsisting on junk food and popping vitamin pills.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 18-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Gary Woods

Martin Brown wrote:

But I am extremely sceptical of all US pseudo-medical sites that
are principally selling their expensive herbal extract pills.

As well you should be... my favorite is the "deodorized" garlic capsules to
avoid the bad breath, when all the studies I've seen indicate that the
health benefits are tied to the sulphur compounds in garlic. Which cause
the bad breath.
If my friends don't like garlic, I'm getting new friends. Life's too
short.

I love the bilberry thing... the only evidence would seem to indicate that
the Brits started it as a bit of disinformation to confuse the Germans.

Old 18-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Kay

In article , Gary Woods
writes
Martin Brown wrote:

But I am extremely sceptical of all US pseudo-medical sites that
are principally selling their expensive herbal extract pills.

As well you should be... my favorite is the "deodorized" garlic capsules to
avoid the bad breath, when all the studies I've seen indicate that the
health benefits are tied to the sulphur compounds in garlic. Which cause
the bad breath.

I thought that they weren't so much deodorised as wrapped in a capsule
so they get further down the body before disintegrating - the smell is
still there, but it can't get out so easily.

Is it the sulphur compounds that provide the benefit? Maybe there's
something in brimstone and treacle after all!

--
Kay

Old 18-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
In article , Gary Woods
writes
Martin Brown wrote:

But I am extremely sceptical of all US pseudo-medical sites that
are principally selling their expensive herbal extract pills.

As well you should be... my favorite is the "deodorized" garlic
capsules to avoid the bad breath, when all the studies I've seen
indicate that the health benefits are tied to the sulphur

compounds
in garlic. Which cause the bad breath.

I thought that they weren't so much deodorised as wrapped in a

capsule
so they get further down the body before disintegrating - the smell

is
still there, but it can't get out so easily.

Is it the sulphur compounds that provide the benefit? Maybe there's
something in brimstone and treacle after all!

One could always shoot and eat collard doves instead.

Mike.

Old 18-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Martin Brown

Gary Woods wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:

But I am extremely sceptical of all US pseudo-medical sites that
are principally selling their expensive herbal extract pills.

As well you should be... my favorite is the "deodorized" garlic capsules to
avoid the bad breath, when all the studies I've seen indicate that the
health benefits are tied to the sulphur compounds in garlic. Which cause
the bad breath.

Although there is a chemical trick that allows the "deodorized" garlic
capsules to be made their chemistry is different. Whether or not it is
still effective is another matter - but never under estimate the power
of the placebo effect which is itself directly proportional to the
purchase price the sucker pays for the placebo.

If my friends don't like garlic, I'm getting new friends. Life's too
short.

I grow my own. It's a bit marginal in the UK, but in a good year will do
OK. I have known a few people dangerously allergic to the allium family.

I love the bilberry thing... the only evidence would seem to indicate that
the Brits started it as a bit of disinformation to confuse the Germans.

BUT WE DIDN'T!!! That is why it is so incredibly funny!

The UK cover story for radar was that pilots ate lots of *carrots*.

Bilberry (and X) jam was on the table because it was the cheapest fruit
still available to make jam with under pretty dire wartime conditions.
Prior to WWII bilberries were still (just about) used as a red vegetable
dye and grew wild on large areas of otherwise useless moorland. These
days overgrazing by sheep has seen off a lot of good bilberry patches.
X was whatever bulk veg was available to bulk it up.

And as an astronomer I can certify that I could detect absolutely no
useful difference in my dark adapted eyesight after consuming a 6oz
slice of bilberry pie with cream (food for free). Strangely the people
in the US who pay $20 for the same dose of magic bilberrry extract in
half a dozen exotic pills claim major improvements. YMMV

Regards,
Martin Brown

Pesky Collared Doves Johno United Kingdom 25 17-11-2012 09:17 AM
Collared Doves MikeCT United Kingdom 25 12-04-2007 09:18 AM
warm weather greens Johnny Kuo North Carolina 1 15-03-2003 07:08 PM
beet greens zxcvbob Edible Gardening 1 01-02-2003 12:33 PM
Growing greens indoors JTULL5 Edible Gardening 5 28-01-2003 10:37 PM