Old 08-11-2012, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pesky Collared Doves

I have a plague of the blasted things, managing to keep them from my chicken food but would welcome suggestions as to how to keep them off my bird table and wild bird feeders.
Seriously tempted to borrow the neighbours .22!

Any thoughts/comments/ideas
Old 08-11-2012, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/11/2012 19:23, Johno wrote:
I have a plague of the blasted things, managing to keep them from my chicken food but would welcome suggestions as to how to keep them off my bird table and wild bird feeders.
Seriously tempted to borrow the neighbours .22!

Any thoughts/comments/ideas

Sorry no idea unless you can get hold of a sparrow hawk or a kestrel, I
don't know if a dummy one would work, but might also scare off your
other birds.
I remember the excitement in the 50's when they first appeared, we lived
in Hastings then and saw our first in 56 or 57, little did we know how
they would spread.
David @ the drying end of Swansea Bay
Old 08-11-2012, 10:09 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno View Post
I have a plague of the blasted things, managing to keep them from my chicken food but would welcome suggestions as to how to keep them off my bird table and wild bird feeders.
Seriously tempted to borrow the neighbours .22!

Any thoughts/comments/ideas
Put a wire cage over of suitable mesh size. But it'll keep off anything else of same size too.
__________________
Old 08-11-2012, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David Hill wrote:
I have a plague of the blasted things, managing to keep them from my chicken food but would welcome suggestions as to how to keep them off my bird table and wild bird feeders.

Sorry no idea unless you can get hold of a sparrow hawk or a kestrel, I

Might not be a good idea if they take a fancy to chicken!
Old 09-11-2012, 01:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Johno" wrote in message
I have a plague of the blasted things, managing to keep them from my
chicken food but would welcome suggestions as to how to keep them off my
bird table and wild bird feeders.
Seriously tempted to borrow the neighbours .22!

Any thoughts/comments/ideas

I lost all my collared doves to a female sparrowhawk and would be very glad
to see them again.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
We get one or two pairs here and then a sparrowhawk takes one or two! I
certainly couldn't begrudge them a feed. It's extraordinary how
numbers vary around the country.
--

I've got 7 fat pigeons waddling round my feeders at this precise moment
Sacha. They perch as best they can on the feeders themselves but it

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 10-11-2012, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Seems like I am stuck with the blighters, not too keen on the Sparrowhawk idea, they are not fussy about the birds they take!
Keeping them off the chicken feed was easy, I have made a covered feeding station that works perfectly.
It is the hanging feeders and bird table that are plagued by them.

..22 idea is too risky, perhaps a blowpipe :-)

John

Old 10-11-2012, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Johno
writes
Seems like I am stuck with the blighters, not too keen on the Sparrowhawk
idea, they are not fussy about the birds they take!
Keeping them off the chicken feed was easy, I have made a covered feeding
station that works perfectly.
It is the hanging feeders and bird table that are plagued by them.

.22 idea is too risky, perhaps a blowpipe :-)

Shooting Sparrowhawks by whatever means is illegal!

--
Malcolm

Yes, of course, but tbh I'd rather have collared doves in my garden than
sparrowhawks. They are a perfect nuisance here. They look at my baby hen
chicks every day with a view to getting them.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Johno wrote:

Seems like I am stuck with the blighters, not too keen on the Sparrowhawk idea, they are not fussy about the birds they take!
Keeping them off the chicken feed was easy, I have made a covered feeding station that works perfectly.
It is the hanging feeders and bird table that are plagued by them.

Wouldn't the anti-squirrel cages also keep large birds out of the
hanging feeders?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, November 10, 2012 9:20:43 PM UTC, Malcolm wrote:
In article ,

Johno writes

Seems like I am stuck with the blighters, not too keen on the

Sparrowhawk idea, they are not fussy about the birds they take!

Keeping them off the chicken feed was easy, I have made a covered

feeding station that works perfectly.

It is the hanging feeders and bird table that are plagued by them.

.22 idea is too risky, perhaps a blowpipe :-)

Shooting Sparrowhawks by whatever means is illegal!

--

Malcolm

Who mentioned shooting Sparrowhawks???? Shooting Collared Doves yes, Sparrowhawks NO!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, November 11, 2012 7:29:35 PM UTC, Malcolm wrote:
In article ,

Johno writes

On Saturday, November 10, 2012 9:20:43 PM UTC, Malcolm wrote:

In article ,

Johno writes

Seems like I am stuck with the blighters, not too keen on the

Sparrowhawk idea, they are not fussy about the birds they take!

Keeping them off the chicken feed was easy, I have made a covered

feeding station that works perfectly.

It is the hanging feeders and bird table that are plagued by them.

.22 idea is too risky, perhaps a blowpipe :-)

Shooting Sparrowhawks by whatever means is illegal!

Who mentioned shooting Sparrowhawks???? Shooting Collared Doves yes,

Sparrowhawks NO!

Read what you wrtote.

--

Malcolm

Suggest you read my original post! I mentioned there about a .22 and shooting the collared doves :-)

I have never mentioned about shooting Sparrowhawks and would in no way endorse this
Old 12-11-2012, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Johno
writes
Seems like I am stuck with the blighters, not too keen on the Sparrowhawk
idea, they are not fussy about the birds they take!
Keeping them off the chicken feed was easy, I have made a covered feeding
station that works perfectly.
It is the hanging feeders and bird table that are plagued by them.

.22 idea is too risky, perhaps a blowpipe :-)

Shooting Sparrowhawks by whatever means is illegal!

--
Malcolm

Yes, of course, but tbh I'd rather have collared doves in my garden than
sparrowhawks. They are a perfect nuisance here. They look at my baby
hen chicks every day with a view to getting them.

Perhaps I read the posting incorrectly, but I thought the OP was talking
about using a .22 against the Collard Doves

Bill

Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Johno
writes
On Saturday, November 10, 2012 9:20:43 PM UTC, Malcolm wrote:
In article ,

Johno writes

Seems like I am stuck with the blighters, not too keen on the

Sparrowhawk idea, they are not fussy about the birds they take!

Keeping them off the chicken feed was easy, I have made a covered

feeding station that works perfectly.

It is the hanging feeders and bird table that are plagued by them.

.22 idea is too risky, perhaps a blowpipe :-)

Shooting Sparrowhawks by whatever means is illegal!

Who mentioned shooting Sparrowhawks???? Shooting Collared Doves yes,
Sparrowhawks NO!

Read what you wrtote.

--
Malcolm

Interpret what you read, correctly. He didn't like the idea of Sparrow
hawks killing the
Doves so thought a .22 might do the trick

Bill

Old 12-11-2012, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
news
Johno wrote:

Seems like I am stuck with the blighters, not too keen on the Sparrowhawk
idea, they are not fussy about the birds they take!
Keeping them off the chicken feed was easy, I have made a covered feeding
station that works perfectly.
It is the hanging feeders and bird table that are plagued by them.

Wouldn't the anti-squirrel cages also keep large birds out of the
hanging feeders?

Yes, but it doesn't stop the sparrowhawks noticing the
small birds at the feeder and diving in to kill them here.
What would I prefer? The small birds.
If it was allowed to shoot a sparrowhawk, I would, they look at my baby hen
chicks with a view to eating them every day.
One took a collared dove out of my hand once. now that's scary.

White Garden Doves for sale pigeonman007 Marketplace 1 24-12-2010 06:56 PM
Collared Doves MikeCT United Kingdom 25 12-04-2007 09:18 AM
Doves Padraig Garden Photos 0 20-03-2007 07:13 PM
Collared greens Chris Hogg United Kingdom 44 22-01-2005 02:34 PM
Doves David Texas 17 06-06-2003 10:44 PM