Old 20-01-2005, 08:26 PM
keith ;-\)

Default window bird feeder

Does anyone have a window bird feeder,if so do you have trouble attracting
the birds?
--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 20-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Chris Stewart

"keith ;-)" wrote in message
Does anyone have a window bird feeder,if so do you have trouble attracting
the birds?
--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

It takes time, and it's not their preferred feeding place - it needs to be
visible to them, and you need to have fresh food to attract them. The birds
will come in time:-)

Chris S

Old 21-01-2005, 08:49 AM
John Flax

"keith ;-)" wrote in message
Does anyone have a window bird feeder,if so do you have trouble attracting
the birds?
--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

My daughter used to hang a cylindrical wire nut tube outside her first floor
living room window. It was on a piece of string tied to the window stay of
the top-hung window so the tube was actually touching the glass. It was
fascinating to see wild birds so close.

Old 21-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Registered User

Location: south west france

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flax
"keith ;-)" @REMOVETHISntlworld.com wrote in message
Does anyone have a window bird feeder,if so do you have trouble attracting
the birds?
--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

My daughter used to hang a cylindrical wire nut tube outside her first floor
living room window. It was on a piece of string tied to the window stay of
the top-hung window so the tube was actually touching the glass. It was
fascinating to see wild birds so close.
I hang some fat balls on the shutter hinges just outside my kitchen/dining room window - looking out onto the terrace. They attract mostly blue and great tits, the other birds (eg robins, nuthatches, willow tits) being reluctant to come so close to the window. It is wonderful seeing them so close and gives me endless enjoyment at mealtimes. (mine and theirs that is)

Old 22-01-2005, 11:30 AM
David

I regularly spread some seed out on my windowsill. The birds are totally
unafraid and perch quite happily just a few feet away from me!

David

Old 22-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Kay

In article , David
writes
I regularly spread some seed out on my windowsill. The birds are totally
unafraid and perch quite happily just a few feet away from me!

Probably because we have cats, ours aren't. You can watch them on the
bird table from the kitchen if you stay very, very still.

So I was reading this thread with envy .... until yesterday, when two
long-tailed tits came and started grooming the pear tree for insects,
just two feet away from were I was standing just inside the kitchen
window. I've never, ever seen long tailed tits that close. And they're
my favourite bird :-)

--
Kay

Old 23-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Franz Heymann

"keith ;-)" wrote in message
Does anyone have a window bird feeder,if so do you have trouble

attracting
the birds?

We feed them by putting crushed nuts, seeds, cooked rice and
breadcrumbs directly on three of our window sills. There are birds on
them during all daylight hours. If one of the sites is emptied out,
they tap on the window to bring it to our attention.

Franz

Old 23-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Jennifer Sparkes

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

We feed them by putting crushed nuts, seeds, cooked rice and
breadcrumbs directly on three of our window sills. There are birds on
them during all daylight hours. If one of the sites is emptied out,
they tap on the window to bring it to our attention.

My Mother aged 94 is in a Care Home but still feeds the birds. Started with
windowsill feeding then last autumn her grandson and his wife gave
her a clear plastic hook that fixes onto the windowpane (outside) with
suction pads. I think it is really a coat hook for attaching to the back of a
door/whatever but it works very well and she hangs seeded fatballs etc
on it. It is made of clear plastic.

Amazing how many different birds now come to feed. Originally it was a
very determined and cheeky band of sparrows. Now there are two robins,
Blue Tits and Cole Tits. Well that was the count last time I visited her.

If she lets the supply run out they also peck at the window and have her
scuttling to their command!

Jennifer