Old 26-01-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Traditional seed varieties - help needed

Hi, I would like to grow some old traditional varieties of veg this
year. I want them to be based on taste and suitability to my
geographical and physical conditions, rather than mass produced stuff.
I would like your suggestions as to what varieties I should grow.
First, my garden is in SE Scotland, around 400 feet above sea level
and is walled (an old farmhouse garden) so it is well sheltered. The
last frost can be late May. The soil is good.
I am looking for suggestions for the following and any others you
think I may enjoy:
tomatoes (for greenhouse)
lettuce
squashes
beans
beetroot
spinach/leaf beet/chard etc
potatoes
spring onions

I look forward to your ideas.
Regards
Jonny

Old 26-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Bob Hobden

Jonny wrote
Hi, I would like to grow some old traditional varieties of veg this
year. I want them to be based on taste and suitability to my
geographical and physical conditions, rather than mass produced stuff.
I would like your suggestions as to what varieties I should grow.
First, my garden is in SE Scotland, around 400 feet above sea level
and is walled (an old farmhouse garden) so it is well sheltered. The
last frost can be late May. The soil is good.
I am looking for suggestions for the following and any others you
think I may enjoy:
tomatoes (for greenhouse)
lettuce
squashes
beans
beetroot
spinach/leaf beet/chard etc
potatoes
spring onions

In case you didn't know, try
http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~nfarl...etty/etty.html
for seed.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 27-01-2005, 03:19 PM
David W.E. Roberts

wrote in message
[...]

One word of warning - some of the modern varieties are popular because they
outperform the traditional varieties.

I tried a '4 traditional varieties' pack of tomatoes last year, and three
out of the four were a disaster grown outside on my patio.

There was very low resistance to rot and I lost more than I picked, although
the ones I picked were generally good in flavour.

So I would go for 'best flavour/location' and try and ignore the age of the
variety.
Go for the traditional ones but beware of any weaknesses.
Sometimes the reason that they have fallen out of favour is because they are
difficult to grow.

Cheers
Dave R

Old 28-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Larry Stoter

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I'm convinced that if you are growing relatively small quantities for
personal consumption and factors such as taste and minmimal cossetting
are important, then old varieties are best.

We moved into our present house ~5 years ago and have been experimenting
with potato varities - we're only interested in early potatoes and we
don't want 50 kg.

Last year, we went to the HDRA 'Potato Days' weekend at Ryton - were you
can buy by the tuber and got 6 tubers each of 6 varieties.

Scoring by taste, yield, resistance to pests & disease, and ease of
preparation, "Belle de Fontenay", a French variety, first described in
1870 was clearly the winner - in our garden. Tomorrow (Saturday) we're
off to this years 'potato days' and we'll get 20 or so Belle de
Fontenay plus another 3 or 4 differnt varieties.
--
Larry Stoter

Old 28-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Bob Hobden

"Larry Stoter" wrote ((SNIP))

Last year, we went to the HDRA 'Potato Days' weekend at Ryton - were you
can buy by the tuber and got 6 tubers each of 6 varieties.

Scoring by taste, yield, resistance to pests & disease, and ease of
preparation, "Belle de Fontenay", a French variety, first described in
1870 was clearly the winner - in our garden. Tomorrow (Saturday) we're
off to this years 'potato days' and we'll get 20 or so Belle de
Fontenay plus another 3 or 4 differnt varieties.
--

That variety is quite commonly available now, even the RHS at Wisley has it
and they are probably cheaper than the HDRA too, although mostly dearer than

Old 28-01-2005, 11:28 PM
Bob Hobden

Jonny wrote ...
Hi, I would like to grow some old traditional varieties of veg this
year. I want them to be based on taste and suitability to my
geographical and physical conditions, rather than mass produced stuff.
I would like your suggestions as to what varieties I should grow.
First, my garden is in SE Scotland, around 400 feet above sea level
and is walled (an old farmhouse garden) so it is well sheltered. The
last frost can be late May. The soil is good.
I am looking for suggestions for the following and any others you
think I may enjoy:
tomatoes (for greenhouse)
lettuce
squashes
beans
beetroot
spinach/leaf beet/chard etc
potatoes
spring onions

Depends what you mean by "traditional" and how far you want to go back in
time. I've listed pre 1900 spuds (according to the data I have available).
Whether they like your neck of the woods or not is probably down to trial
and error.

First early...
Duke of York 1891
Epicure 1897