Old 07-02-2005, 10:40 PM
CK

Default Gardeners' Book Society

Hi All,

I had read those offers from "Gardeners' Book Society" from time to time.
The starting offer often looks attractive. However, I had heard another
famous book club with bad reputation, good starting offer but then not much
interesting offer in the next 4 monthly magazines, which you are obligated
to buy at least one from each. I tried to look for people's reviews or
comments by surfing the Internet but only know that the Society also
publishes books. Anyone had been subscribed to it? Could I hear your
opinion? For example, the choices and discount of garden books after the
starting offer, the cost of p & p, customers services, book returning
policy, etc.

Looking for ward for any reply. (The free offer this time would be the
birthday present I have suggested to my love one)

With regards,
CK

Old 08-02-2005, 12:14 AM
keith ;-\)

I subscribed,picked my books which were ones I wouldn't have purchased
myself because of the cost of them i.e. RHS plant encyclopaedia,RHS
encyclopaedia of gardening you know the ones.
So it was good value for money.I then purchased another four books over the
next year then cancelled my membership.They have some good books,but after a
while you find yourself struggling to pick a book and choose one because you
have already received your initial books you wanted.
I have no regrets doing it,and didn't have any bad experiences being a
member.
PS if I can remember rightly when you get the magazine to see if you want to
buy a book,there is a editors choice if you don't tick the box on the order
form that's says you DO NOT WANT it then they automatically send it to you.
If you do things right and keep on top of things you shouldn't have any
problems.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:33 AM
jane

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 22:40:23 -0000, "CK" wrote:

~Hi All,
~
~I had read those offers from "Gardeners' Book Society" from time to time.
~The starting offer often looks attractive. However, I had heard another
~famous book club with bad reputation, good starting offer but then not much
~interesting offer in the next 4 monthly magazines, which you are obligated
~to buy at least one from each. I tried to look for people's reviews or
~comments by surfing the Internet but only know that the Society also
~publishes books. Anyone had been subscribed to it? Could I hear your
~opinion? For example, the choices and discount of garden books after the
~starting offer, the cost of p & p, customers services, book returning
~policy, etc.
~
~Looking forward for any reply. (The free offer this time would be the
~birthday present I have suggested to my love one)

long reply...

I was a member for a year, got some nice books (yes, you can order two
of the same introductory book as two choices - so both Dad and myself
got the then-new RHS revised encyclopedia of gardening) and then
counted up to the number I thought I needed as minimum. They insisted
I buy six not four extra, but since there were a couple I needed, I
didn't whinge too much. But do count carefully and watch your small
print.

The normal club books can be ordered from any magazine including back
issues so do keep them all. They expect you to order one book every
issue (bimonthly) but it doesn't have to be *from* that issue so don't
order two at a time - save the second for when you can't find one you
want!

The editor's choice is a pain if you don't cancel it fast enough. And
the phonelines stick you in a queue for absolutely ages, even at 8am.
Beware. Likewise the line for paying with credit cards.

They are quite good if something gets lost. My first order of the HDRA
Organice encyclopedia and Bob Flowerdew's organic gardening was placed
about a month before Christmas 2003 and never appeared. I queried this
close to Christmas and got replacements early in the new year. Some
beggar got a free present though :-(

The books in the magazines are about the same prices as on Amazon but
postage is more, so they come out dearer for one book. However once
you factor in the savings you make on the intro offer, you come out
ahead. Just don't go into it unless you really do need a lot of
gardening books. For me just getting the £35 RHS book for a fiver
(twice) made it worthwhile. But a lot were coffeetable and TV
presenter books rather than actual how-to books, which is what I was
after. So you may find choice is slightly less than you expect, and
all the good ones are in the intro offer so you've already bought
them.

When I cancelled they asked me why. I said (truthfully) I had no more
room on my shelf! Have heard nothing since, so they do take you off
their mailing lists promptly. (Unlike Worldbooks, who are STILL
sending me crap about children's book offers after 2 years, and I
don't have any kids!)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 08-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Sally Holmes

CK wrote:
Hi All,

I had read those offers from "Gardeners' Book Society" from time to
time. The starting offer often looks attractive. However, I had
heard another famous book club with bad reputation, good starting
offer but then not much interesting offer in the next 4 monthly
magazines, which you are obligated to buy at least one from each.

The Book People (www.thebookpeople.co.uk) always have gardening books, their
prices are amazing and postage is reasonable - free, if you buy enough. Best
of all, they're not a book club in the sense that you have to buy certain
books.

I really don't know how they sell books so cheaply. They're not remainders:
they're current books. I buy their 10-packs of fiction for holidays. At
£9.99, I don't care if five are rubbish and go straight to the charity shop.

Current best buy seems to be six RHS Wisley handbooks (Hostas, Primroses and
Auriculas, Cottage Garden Flowers, Irises, Hardy Geraniums and Lilies) for
£9.99. Publishers price is £47.94.

NAYY, I just love books.

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England

Old 08-02-2005, 05:51 PM
keith ;-\)

I've just looked on there site quite good prices but limited for choice I
thought,I think there were only about 10 gardening books.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.
"Sally Holmes" wrote in message
k...

Old 09-02-2005, 05:51 PM
CK

Hi Keith, Jane and Sally,

Thank you for the responses. They are all very helpful.

It seems that the best way is to
1. wait for the best introduction offer,
2. buy one book bimonthly for 4 times, but remember to cancel the Editor's
choice if I don't want it.
3. after fulfilling the requirements, cancel the membership.

If there are enough attractions in the next introduction offer, repeat the
procedures again.

Thank you for help again.

With regards,
CK

Old 09-02-2005, 06:02 PM
keith ;-\)

CK if you stick to the rules you wont have any problems at all,its those
people who forget to cancel editors choice & pay on time that do.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.