Old 12-02-2005, 05:24 PM
jane

Default Comparing flowers open today with last year

I've just been doing a cross reference with last year, and I think the
majority of the daffs in my garden are later this year.

From last year's photos, the jetfire narcissi were out on the 13th Feb
whilst this year the buds aren't even bent over yet. (Though they
ought to be in this wind!) And the Tête-à-têtes aren't out either
(except in one hanging basket, which is always early). Last year they
were out on the 5th.

I feel pleased/relieved when they are later, these days.
Snowdrops are well and truly out at the moment and all the clumps I
put in last year look fantastic.

And I've got my first seeds sown! Hurrah!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 14-02-2005, 04:00 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

jane wrote:
I've just been doing a cross reference with last year, and I think the
majority of the daffs in my garden are later this year.

From last year's photos, the jetfire narcissi were out on the 13th Feb
whilst this year the buds aren't even bent over yet. (Though they
ought to be in this wind!) And the Tête-à-têtes aren't out either
(except in one hanging basket, which is always early). Last year they
were out on the 5th.

I feel pleased/relieved when they are later, these days.
Snowdrops are well and truly out at the moment and all the clumps I
put in last year look fantastic.

And I've got my first seeds sown! Hurrah!

Where are you? South Bucks here and we've had daffs out since the middle of
Jan (my grandfather - Essex - claims to have had some budding before
Christmas). The snowdrops have been out for weeks and we have a trough by
the french doors with a crocus mix in which has just begun to explode. The
blue flag is also out (though you can hardly see it as it's swamped by an
enormous fatsia).The cyclamen are in full force - and looking spectacular
down by the pond.

We have both Jetfires and Tête-à-têtes in pots by the back door and they're
out, as are the Peeping Toms planted on our first cat's grave (Mum's idea -
our second cat was called Poppy - so no prizes for guessing what she has on
hers!)

There's a pink camellia by the patio doors with a few blooms on, though I'm
not sure it's that hardy so it could be damaged if there's a frost (and it's
freezing here, so there most likely will be).

Granny's just a blooming nuisance - never stops (for their Golden Wedding in
'93 my grandfather, a past president of the RNRS, had a rose named for my
late grandmother, it's a prolific climber with peach petals with pink tips
and green and copper foliage. Blatant plug alert!!
http://www.roses.co.uk/acatalog/dellabalfour.html)

Today is bitterly cold (wind chill factor lowering the temperature from the
advertised 6°C (42°F)) and it will freeze tomorrow night.

Whoops! Sorry, I've strayed OT, I do apologise! I'll shut up now! ;o)

Belated Imbolc blessings,

on salads.

Old 15-02-2005, 02:13 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Perspicacia Tick
jane wrote:[color=blue][i]
I've just been doing a cross reference with last year, and I think the
majority of the daffs in my garden are later this year.

I feel pleased/relieved when they are later, these days.
Snowdrops are well and truly out at the moment and all the clumps I
put in last year look fantastic.
Where I am (west central Scotland), I have not noticed anything yet.

I'll have to go out for a proper look later on.
__________________
Well use it to fertilise the Christmas trees then.
I have a feeling the market is going to peak sometime next January.
Old 15-02-2005, 09:51 AM
jane

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:00:52 -0000, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
wrote:

~jane wrote:
~ I've just been doing a cross reference with last year, and I think the
~ majority of the daffs in my garden are later this year.
~
~ From last year's photos, the jetfire narcissi were out on the 13th Feb
[...]

I am in the Chilterns, so not too far from you I think. But you know
what microclimates are like in hills... hence I compare with my own
records of the same flowers opening last year.
~
~We have both Jetfires and Tête-à-têtes in pots by the back door and they're
~out, as are the Peeping Toms planted on our first cat's grave (Mum's idea -
~our second cat was called Poppy - so no prizes for guessing what she has on
~hers!)
Good idea.

~There's a pink camellia by the patio doors with a few blooms on, though I'm
~not sure it's that hardy so it could be damaged if there's a frost (and it's
~freezing here, so there most likely will be).
My poor camellia got neglected last year - it's potted because of the
chalk - so I didn't water it enough in the crucial July period and so
it's got no flowers this year. I really did badly with the house
garden last year what with my distraction (wedding), it was all I
could do to keep up the lottie.
~
~Granny's just a blooming nuisance - never stops (for their Golden Wedding in
~'93 my grandfather, a past president of the RNRS, had a rose named for my
~late grandmother, it's a prolific climber with peach petals with pink tips
~and green and copper foliage. Blatant plug alert!!
~http://www.roses.co.uk/acatalog/dellabalfour.html)
Wish I could do that for my mum - it's their GW in September. She'll
have to put up with gold roses all over a cake instead.

~Today is bitterly cold (wind chill factor lowering the temperature from the
~advertised 6°C (42°F)) and it will freeze tomorrow night.

This morning was one of those where everyone was playing scrape the
windscreen.
~
~Whoops! Sorry, I've strayed OT, I do apologise! I'll shut up now! ;o)
well not really - I'd have thought frosts are on topic for gardeners!
~
~Belated Imbolc blessings,
yer wot?

--