Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Default Can 'dead' raspberry canes be revived?

Two or three seasons ago I planted a half-dozen raspberry canes - they were
an early-fruiting variety ('Glen Magna' if memory serves) which promised a
crop in the first year (even though I have read you shouldn't pick the first
year's crop you should let it wither on the canes to provide nourishment for
a larger crop the following year). I waited with anticipation, looking
forward to my first crop of organically home-grown rasperries to puree for
sauce for my homemade organic vanilla ice cream. Well, I'm still waiting. To
date I have had three rather hard and wizened berries - and that's it. The
canes look dead - I am hoping (rather forlornly, I suspect) for them to
suddenly undergo a miraculous ressurection, but I fear it isn't going to
happen.

I want to have another go - could someone point me to Raspberry Growing for
Dummies? Although I am on the edge of the Chilterns, the soil here is sandy.
What conditions do they prefer? They are down the bottom of the garden, up
against the fence that divides us from next-door. I tried to prepare the
soil as best I could (my sister has a horse so, if anyone in the Chilterns
area wants any manure I'm sure an arangement could be reached). Someone
suggested blood and bonemeal but I have to say I didn't get any - should I
have done? I really rather fancy growing a mix of red and yellow ones this
time - Dobies have 'All Gold' at £10.95 for 5 canes and 'Joan J' for £9.95
for the same amount. The latter has a four month fruiting period. The
fruiting period for 'All Gold' isn't stated.

But, before I outlay any more, can I revive what I have? They certainly look
dead but, as I am a thicky when it comes to all things both
horti-and-agricultural, I am hoping that there might be a slim chance they
could be coaxed back into some kind of life. Raspberries are my favourites -
and I think they're maligned as people appear to prefer strawberries. I do
not - give me a bowl of (organic) raspberries and (organic) cream any day!
--
Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling on
salads.

revived clematis Pam Moore[_2_] United Kingdom 1 27-08-2012 07:26 PM
Raspberry Canes Kim Bewick United Kingdom 1 07-03-2004 01:06 PM
raspberry canes R United Kingdom 10 10-04-2003 08:44 AM
Raspberry canes John Cotterill United Kingdom 1 14-01-2003 10:24 PM
Moving raspberry canes Jo United Kingdom 2 24-11-2002 01:35 PM