Old 02-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Spider wrote:

That's most interesting. I'm fairly sure I have some form of Armillaria in
my garden - on Sycamore stumps, for starters. The doomed rhubarb was near
the site of a previous stump (probably Prunus sp.), but I saw no fruiting
bodies. However, it and the ground reeked deeply of mushroom after I dug it
up and there was a deep layer of white mycelium beneath the rhubarb. I saw
no sign of 'bootlace' strands.

Some other fungus, then. I had a couple of rhubarb plants that dropped
dead one winter - it happens to almost every type of plant, sometimes,
and even the extreme fungus-resistant native tree (yew) has some fungi
that will attack it.

There are a zillion types of fungi, and estimates are that 50% of UK
ones may be unidentified. Yes, really.

Unfortunately, before I learned that a neighbour had Honey Fungus in their
garden (identified by a tree surgeon), I accepted a shrub sucker from his
garden. I am not unduly worried about Honey Fungus, because a different
tree surgeon assured me that a) there were many more benign strains and b)
that I grew so many trees and woody plants in my garden (he nearly got
excited!) that I was fairly safe - in the way that woodland is fairly safe
and/or copes with Armilllaria and other fungi.

Now, THERE is a tree surgeon who is worth his money. The ones that
promote panic are trying to line their pockets. Fairly safe doesn't
mean that you won't lose plants, but one needs to keep things in
perspective.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Kay

In article , Spider
writes

That's most interesting. I'm fairly sure I have some form of Armillaria in
my garden - on Sycamore stumps, for starters.

There's lots of other fungi that grow in clumps on tree stumps, sulphur
tuft for example.

The doomed rhubarb was near
the site of a previous stump (probably Prunus sp.), but I saw no fruiting
bodies. However, it and the ground reeked deeply of mushroom after I dug it
up and there was a deep layer of white mycelium beneath the rhubarb. I saw
no sign of 'bootlace' strands.

Most fungi have white mycelium, and that includes totally harmless fungi
as well. So a) the rhubarb may have succumbed to honey fungus b) the
mycelium may have been some other harmful fungus c) the mycelium may
have been from a complete benign fungus - 'harmful' and 'benign' being
from the rhubarb's pov, of course ;-)

Unfortunately, before I learned that a neighbour had Honey Fungus in their
garden (identified by a tree surgeon), I accepted a shrub sucker from his
garden. I am not unduly worried about Honey Fungus, because a different
tree surgeon assured me that a) there were many more benign strains and b)
that I grew so many trees and woody plants in my garden (he nearly got
excited!) that I was fairly safe - in the way that woodland is fairly safe
and/or copes with Armilllaria and other fungi.

And Armillaria mellea is one of our commonest fungi.

To pick up the OP's thread, I am seriously considering growing Rhubarb again
(in a different part of the garden), so I'll be watching out for the slugs
and snails mentioned by another urgler.

FWIW I don't apply any sort of control to slugs and snails, and my
rhubarb plants are about 6ft across.

But I imagine small plants would be at risk, so it would be worth
protecting them until they've got to the size where you're picking a
steady supply.

Looking at it another way, the slugs and snails are hardly going to harm
it more than you do, are they? ;-)
--
Kay

Old 03-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Gary

On 3/1/05 9:28 AM, in article ,
"b.cumisky" wrote:

Look for caterpillars or small slugs on the underside of the leaves. I

have
found them at night with a flashlight or in the early am. Slugs will also
chew the stalks.
Gary

Thanks Gary
It could certainly be caterpillars.
Do you have any suggestions on how to combat them ?

Dee Dee

Yes I do, but if you are a home gardener I wouldn't worry about them. The
chewing on the leaves is unsightly but unless it is extreme it will cause no
real damage to your plant. Make sure your plant has lots of compost (top
dressing) and water well when it gets dry. The chewing that goes on on the
stalks affects commercial growers more as their produce must look perfect
otherwise they won't be purchased by people who have never grown anything
and don't know that it is something that is not a concern.
How to combat them should you want to: I pick them off...one at a time...by
hand...with a flashlight in my mouth (a small flashlight). I can't seem to
find them in the daylight hours except for once...I got up really early one
summer morning. Cheers,
Gary

Old 03-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Spider

Kay wrote in message
In article , Spider
writes

[...]

Thanks one again Nick and Kay,

I'm really beginning to feel laid back about my potential Armillaria threat.
And yes, Kay, I will watch vigilantly for slugs and snails once I've planted
my rheum (Y'see Nick, I DID read your previous comments - mind you, rheum
and custard doen't have quite the same ring to it!).

As for that tree surgeon, Nick, you're right - he's an absolute gem. I
recommend him to other locals whenever I can. He's a REAL tree-lover,
rather than a scaremonger with an axe. His real passion is Elm (Ulmus)
trees, so he was chuffed to see one in my garden .. after that we got on
like a house on fire.

Ta once again to you both,
Spider