Old 07-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Sacha

Default Flamboyant tree

Has anyone tried growing this in UK? I can't imagine it surviving outside a
large conservatory but I'm curious to know if anyone has tried and therefore
whether it will grow and flower in a smaller form as e.g. the Jacaranda
will. I think its proper name is Delonix regia.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
Has anyone tried growing this in UK? I can't imagine it surviving outside

large conservatory but I'm curious to know if anyone has tried and

therefore
whether it will grow and flower in a smaller form as e.g. the Jacaranda
will. I think its proper name is Delonix regia.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Hi Sacha, I tried growing it from seed but it was unhappy in the unheated
greenhouse (Tibouchina was fine) so I gave up!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 08-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Sacha

On 8/3/05 9:25, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
Has anyone tried growing this in UK? I can't imagine it surviving outside

large conservatory but I'm curious to know if anyone has tried and

therefore
whether it will grow and flower in a smaller form as e.g. the Jacaranda
will. I think its proper name is Delonix regia.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Hi Sacha, I tried growing it from seed but it was unhappy in the unheated
greenhouse (Tibouchina was fine) so I gave up!

Doesn't sound promising then because ours is only heated to just above frost
level. I'm guessing too that light levels in Britain wouldn't be good
enough for long enough, either. Isn't it maddening when you see something
like this growing as a street tree in other countries?!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Bob Hobden

"Charlie Pridham" wrote after
"Sacha" wrote
Has anyone tried growing this in UK? I can't imagine it surviving
outside

large conservatory but I'm curious to know if anyone has tried and

therefore
whether it will grow and flower in a smaller form as e.g. the Jacaranda
will. I think its proper name is Delonix regia.

Hi Sacha, I tried growing it from seed but it was unhappy in the unheated
greenhouse (Tibouchina was fine) so I gave up!

I brought some seeds back both from Jamaica and also from an orange form I
chanced upon in Cyprus, both eventually germinated (sandpapered and then a
saucer of water to see if they swell) but like Charlie they were never happy
and faded away. Never got much bigger than seedling stage.
With Rays rather big greenhouse it's worth a go though, especially as summer
is just round the corner (they say!)
Not seen any at Kew or Wisley so I think they must be "difficult" here. They
certainly make large trees, oak tree size.

Hope you both had a nice holiday in the sun, we got snowed in on Exmoor!
:-)

--
Regards
Bob

Old 08-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 8/3/05 9:25, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
[...]

There are loads of things we have been trying of late many of which have
died this year in the -7c we have had, still I shall try again with most, in
the hope we wont have two cold winters in a row! Some surprises though (must
write it all down before I forget)

Old 08-03-2005, 11:42 PM
Sacha

On 8/3/05 17:26, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

[...]

I'm going to sow them and see what happens but not with a great deal of real
hope as to performance.

Hope you both had a nice holiday in the sun, we got snowed in on Exmoor!
:-)

Lovely holiday - came home with a flu type bug, Ray on anti-bs, me hacking
like an old coal fire, so we've barely moved for 5 days! We're on the mend
but yes, it was wonderful. Dolphin encounter the best thing, botanic garden
rather disappointing. But the plants we saw just round and about the
islands were wonderful. And while on that subject, there was a climber with
a pale lilac pea-shaped flower which appeared to be wild. I hadn't seen it
before and nobody local seemed to know its name. We saw it in St Barts and
Nevis, particularly but I'm sure it must have been right through the region.
Anyone any idea of the name? And in the botanic garden in Nevis we did see
the most lovely Sarietea and a blue jade vine that we're hoping to get
(Strongylodon macrobotrys)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-03-2005, 09:13 AM
Sacha

On 8/3/05 17:32, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

snip

There are loads of things we have been trying of late many of which have
died this year in the -7c we have had, still I shall try again with most, in
the hope we wont have two cold winters in a row! Some surprises though (must
write it all down before I forget)

This is something Ray likes to do, too. He keeps pushing the boundaries
with various plants and is often surprised to see what will survive outside,
contrary to popular belief. After all, as he often reminds people, when
Camellias first came to Britain people though they had to be kept in
glasshouses, always!
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 10-03-2005, 08:07 AM
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:32:46 -0000, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

There are loads of things we have been trying of late many of which have
died this year in the -7c we have had, still I shall try again with most, in
the hope we wont have two cold winters in a row! Some surprises though (must
write it all down before I forget)

-7C! Ouch! The lowest we had was -3C on 28th Feb, although all minimum
temperatures were consistently a couple of degrees lower than the Met
Office predicted.

Like you, I'm struggling to see what tender plants will grow in a
new-to-me garden, and have been disappointed by the last two years'
failures. I lost several young Proteas last year, raised from seed
with much difficulty and angst over several years. Both this year and
last, my Echium fastuosum was setting flower buds nicely, only to have
them frosted off, fleece notwithstanding. With the cold winds we had
at the same time, the fleece was just ballooning like a parachute and
probably not offering much protection. The irritating thing is that
about a quarter of a mile away, and 300 feet lower at the bottom of a
south-west-facing hillside just above the beach, they're untouched!

Fortunately the plants themselves seem to have survived, although they
look pretty ragged ATM. But they come easily from cuttings, which I
take each year just in case, and grow rapidly, typically 2 ft or so in
a season. When they're successful, they're superb. Dozens of 12"
candles of Anchusa-blue flowers. Echium pininana (the very tall one)
seems to have survived OK, but I don't like it as much.

But as you say, some pleasant and encouraging surprises. Compensation
for the disappointments perhaps.

--
Chris

Old 10-03-2005, 09:30 AM
Sacha

On 10/3/05 8:07, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:
snip
[...]

The antidote I prescribe is a trip to Tresco where proteas and echiums
abound. The latter grow wild. It makes me furiously jealous because we
just can't grow them here. They last one season, don't flower brilliantly
and never come through the winter. We suspect it's the wet as much as the
cold that does for them.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)