Old 09-03-2005, 04:31 PM
sme

Default Gardening in Glasgow

Hi

Just a few questions on fencing. (wooden, not fighting)

Is there an 'acceptable' height that seperates the gardens distinctly but
doesn't tell the neighbours you are not interested in talking to them?

What is the best type of fencing to get?

When is the best time to put a fence up?

And where would be the best place to go for either the materials or for
someone to do it for me?

I am in Glasgow and have my very first garden, a whole 20 metres by 10
metres. I haven't a clue what i am going to do with it once i get it
enclosed but the fence is where i need to start.

Any advice would be appreciated.

--
sme
(Swap cable for dsl to reply)
Old 09-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Davy Murray

I would have thought that six foot would get the message across. If this is
too big, then I used to have a four foot high wall, which was 'topped off'
with trellis. The trellis was some covered with plants, Pyracantha is nice
and spiky to deter anyone hanging over the wall. This arrangement certainly
got the message across to our unsociable neighbours.

Davy M.

Old 09-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Kay

In article , Davy
Murray writes
I would have thought that six foot would get the message across. If this is
too big, then I used to have a four foot high wall, which was 'topped off'
with trellis. The trellis was some covered with plants, Pyracantha is nice
and spiky to deter anyone hanging over the wall. This arrangement certainly
got the message across to our unsociable neighbours.

Wait a minute! The OP wants a fence that *doesn't* tell the neighbours
he's not interested in speaking to them. Difficult to talk over a 6ft
fence unless you're a lot taller than I am!

Davy M.

.. .

Old 09-03-2005, 08:45 PM
sme

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 18:55:40 GMT and in uk.rec.gardening, Janet
Baraclough wrote....

The message
from sme contains these words:

Hi

Just a few questions on fencing. (wooden, not fighting)

Is there an 'acceptable' height that seperates the gardens distinctly
but doesn't tell the neighbours you are not interested in talking to
them?

(snip)

I am in Glasgow

It isn't possible to give you a blanket answer for the whole of
Glasgow (or even, Scotland) as there are so many valid variations
within Scottish land law.Whether you are a buyer or renter, consult
your property missives/ feu policy/ tenancy agreement to see what they
stipulate about fences on each of your boundaries. Take care reading
it, bearing in mind that on some Scottish property there may be
different requirements for, say, the front and back, or left and right
boundaries.

And where would be the best place to go for either the materials or
for someone to do it for me?

Yellow pages, under "fencing contractor". They will supply
better-quality materials far, far cheaper than builders merchants,
garden centres, DIY sheds etc, and/or do the work if you want.

Janet (Scotland).

Thanks for that. I never thought of them. I was looking at garden centres
and timber merchants and they were looking at over £500 just for the
materials. Seemed a bit steep to me.

I'll have a look about and see what i can get. No doubt i'll be back here
looking for advice after i get it up! (the fence!!!)

Thanks for all answers.

--
sme
(Swap cable for dsl to reply)
Old 10-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Registered User

Are your neighbours nice? You could try having a word with them about the fence, asking what they think, best to start off friendly if you're going to be next door to them for a while!

Bob

Old 10-03-2005, 02:29 PM
sme

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:25:49 GMT and in uk.rec.gardening, undergroundbob
wrote....

Are your neighbours nice? You could try having a word with them about
the fence, asking what they think, best to start off friendly if you're
going to be next door to them for a while!

TBH i don't think they like us much. When we moved in the council was
putting rough cast on the houses and we went to the meeting to pick the
finish we wanted. Our neighbours didn't show up so we were given over all
choice as it is a semi detached house.

I picked a white plaster with red, white and black chips. While i was
working through in Edinburgh they came and did this and used bright pink
plaster.

We ended up with a bright pink house as did our neighbours. We have hardly
spoken to them since, or rather, they haven't spoken to us since. It has
died down a little though but it wasn't what i thought it was going to be.

Anyway, i'll make sure and let them know i am thinking of putting up a
fence as i would need to find out if they wanted to get rid if the hedge or
keep it on their side.

Thanks for the advice anyway. :-)

--
sme
(Swap cable for dsl to reply)
Old 11-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

sme wrote:

I am in Glasgow and have my very first garden, a whole 20 metres by 10
metres. I haven't a clue what i am going to do with it once i get it
enclosed but the fence is where i need to start.

I don't know where in Glasgow you are but in Knightswood
(whence I've just moved out of) the standard fencing seems
to be palings about three feet high. The palings are rough
sticks around an inch in diameter and wired to a stouter
backing frame. The sticks are about three inches apart.
This seems quite a cheap arrangement that delineates
boundaries but is certainly very sociable.

Rhiannon

--

http://sciethics.blogspot.com/ -- the rights and wrongs of
science.