Old 17-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Janet Bennett

Default Frogs in Pond

Whilst hanging out washing on line, noticed some disturbance in Pond - about
eight pairs of frogs? My daughter's standing next to me as I type, saying
"Watch out Slugs the Frogs are in Town". Anyone else got frogs in their pond
yet?

Old 17-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Bennett
writes
Whilst hanging out washing on line, noticed some disturbance in Pond - about
eight pairs of frogs? My daughter's standing next to me as I type, saying
"Watch out Slugs the Frogs are in Town". Anyone else got frogs in their pond
yet?

Yes - I posted last week that I had 37 of them in one pond. Today we
have spawn :-)

--
Kay

Old 17-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Troy

Janet Bennett wrote :

Whilst hanging out washing on line, noticed some disturbance in Pond - about
eight pairs of frogs? My daughter's standing next to me as I type, saying
"Watch out Slugs the Frogs are in Town". Anyone else got frogs in their pond
yet?

Had them for quite a while now - our pond is full of frog spawn. Took a few
photos of them last night (dark at the time) :-

http://www.troytheblacklab.co.uk/morefrogs

The 3rd one really seems to be smiling :-)

Another one (nearly stepped on these 2 - they were just outside the back
door :-

http://www.troytheblacklab.co.uk/frog.jpg
--
Regards,

Troy the Black Lab.
Old 17-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Rod

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:57:27 +0000, Kay
wrote:

In article , Janet Bennett
writes
Whilst hanging out washing on line, noticed some disturbance in Pond - about
eight pairs of frogs? My daughter's standing next to me as I type, saying
"Watch out Slugs the Frogs are in Town". Anyone else got frogs in their pond
yet?

Yes - I posted last week that I had 37 of them in one pond. Today we
have spawn :-)

I saw frogspawn in the Clwydians last Saturday, the snow had not quite
cleared from the higher slopes. It was in a galvanised tank being used
as a sheep drinking trough at about 200m asl . It was just below a
small spring and almost filled with soil and rocks washed into it. The
spawn was in the 8cm or so of water above all the rubbish so the water
was never going to get any deeper and the spawn made mounds above the
water in places. Some tadpoles were already emerged.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 18-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Paul

Troy wrote:

Janet Bennett wrote :

Whilst hanging out washing on line, noticed some disturbance in Pond - about
eight pairs of frogs? My daughter's standing next to me as I type, saying
"Watch out Slugs the Frogs are in Town". Anyone else got frogs in their pond
yet?

Had them for quite a while now - our pond is full of frog spawn. Took a few
photos of them last night (dark at the time) :-

http://www.troytheblacklab.co.uk/morefrogs

The 3rd one really seems to be smiling :-)

Another one (nearly stepped on these 2 - they were just outside the back
door :-

http://www.troytheblacklab.co.uk/frog.jpg

Impressive photos what camera a settigns do you use?

Paul (keen to take pictures like that !)

Old 18-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Kay

In article , Rod rodcraddoc
writes

I saw frogspawn in the Clwydians last Saturday, the snow had not quite
cleared from the higher slopes. It was in a galvanised tank being used
as a sheep drinking trough at about 200m asl . It was just below a
small spring and almost filled with soil and rocks washed into it. The
spawn was in the 8cm or so of water above all the rubbish so the water
was never going to get any deeper and the spawn made mounds above the
water in places. Some tadpoles were already emerged.

I can remember seeing tadpoles in a puddle in a forestry commission walk
once. Frogs are not bright.

Springwatch site is very interesting with maps of the 'first sightings'
data, eg for frogspawn:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/...h/results/frog
spawn.shtml

Frogspawn shows quite different pattern from ladybirds and bumblebees,
both of which spread steadily from S to N. Frogspawn, spread from the SW
peninsula and along W coast, and then filled in inland areas. Noticeably
few sightings of frogspawn from E Anglia.

The snow interlude is very clear in all three datasets. I would guess
it's a genuine lack of activity by animals and not just a reflection of
lack of observation by warmth-loving humans ;-)

Oh, and we saw our first newt of the season today.
--
Kay

Old 18-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
[...]
I can remember seeing tadpoles in a puddle in a forestry commission
walk once. Frogs are not bright.

[...]

A very distressing feature of my last house was that it was built on
what seemed to be froglets' ancestral route: in early years a few
always used to come in and suffer attack by the pets, or dehydrate in
odd corners. I even found one dead in the bottom of a tin of white
spirit I'd left just inside the back door after cleaning
paintbrushes. Since it had previously been the site of a cowshed, I
suppose earlier migrations had been a bit more successful. The
swallows learned the new arrangements within about ten years, too.

--
Mike.

Old 18-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Troy

Paul wrote :

Impressive photos

Thanks - it's the camera not me :-)

what camera a settigns do you use?

The camera is a Canon Powershot G6 (nice). Photos taken with external
flash.

1/60 sec, f/2
ISO: 50
Macro - on

As it was dark, the pond photos were taken with the aid of a torch :-) I
shone the torch on the frog, focused the camera, switched off the torch and
took the photo. Not used the external flash outside in the dark before so
it was mostly guesswork.

Paul (keen to take pictures like that !)

What camera do you have?
--
Regards,

Troy the Black Lab.
Old 18-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Kay

In article , Kay
writes

Oh, and we saw our first newt of the season today.

Did a torchlight search this evening - 161 frogs, 15 newts.

Any idea what average frog density is, and therefore how far they've
come?
--
Kay

Old 18-03-2005, 09:13 PM
Kay

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REM
OVETHISyahoo.co.uk writes
Kay wrote:
[...]
I can remember seeing tadpoles in a puddle in a forestry commission
walk once. Frogs are not bright.

[...]

A very distressing feature of my last house was that it was built on
what seemed to be froglets' ancestral route: in early years a few
always used to come in and suffer attack by the pets, or dehydrate in
odd corners.

That's rotten. I always feel sad when I find a squashed one on the
driveway or a dehydrated one in the cellar, even though it's obvious
that we have so many one or two losses are neither here nor there.

--
Kay

Old 18-03-2005, 09:14 PM
Jeff

Kay wrote:

I can remember seeing tadpoles in a puddle in a forestry commission walk
once. Frogs are not bright.

Toads too, I reckon.
Wife and I are on holiday this week and were out gardening today.
Frogs spawned about 2 weeks ago and now it's the toad's turn.
Must have seen about a dozen or so in our garden making a lot of noise
and running after anything that moved!
It's kind of weird having a load of toads running after you - one even
tried it on with the cat's tail - she wasn't impressed.

Jeff
Old 19-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Brian Watson

"Janet Bennett" wrote in message
Whilst hanging out washing on line, noticed some disturbance in Pond -
about eight pairs of frogs? My daughter's standing next to me as I type,
saying "Watch out Slugs the Frogs are in Town". Anyone else got frogs in
their pond yet?

Yep.

Forty fornicating frogs.

:-)

--
Brian
Henry Fielding: "All Nature wears one universal grin"

frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 07:06 PM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 0 31-08-2004 10:24 PM
Monster frogs in my pond Shane D. Maudiss Ponds 1 29-11-2003 03:32 PM
Frogs per Pond?? Heather Ponds 4 05-07-2003 08:08 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM