Old 29-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Pam Moore

Default Identify Morning gGlory please

I would like to know what variety of Morning Glory is pictured here...
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pam...bum?.dir=/6958
assuming the photo works. I've not tried this before.

This Morning Glory was growing up the wall of the house at Bicton
Gardens, Devon, in 2003. I think it is not the ordinary one, but a
more spectacular one. I have also seen a similar one which is
certainly more than just an annual, growing in a hot house at
Slimbridge, the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, in Gloucestershire.
I've looked through the list of Ipomeas listed in the Chiltern
catalogue but cannot find one which seems to match.
I grow some ordinary ones each year and have saved seed, but I have
never grown any as blue or as big as these.
Any ideas?

Pam in Bristol
Old 29-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Pam Moore writes:
| I would like to know what variety of Morning Glory is pictured here...
| http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pam...bum?.dir=/6958
| assuming the photo works. I've not tried this before.
|
| This Morning Glory was growing up the wall of the house at Bicton
| Gardens, Devon, in 2003. I think it is not the ordinary one, but a
| more spectacular one. I have also seen a similar one which is
| certainly more than just an annual, growing in a hot house at
| Slimbridge, the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, in Gloucestershire.

Ipomoea indica, which also has other names. We call it the
triffid :-)

My plant doesn't seem to set seed, but it propagates readily from
layers and is widely available. It flowers from early summer to
late autumn, under glass, and needs regular pruning back or else
you will find - grrk, ggg, ....

[ Post sent automatically after timeout ]

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Nick Gray

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I would like to know what variety of Morning Glory is pictured here...
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pam...bum?.dir=/6958
assuming the photo works. I've not tried this before.

This Morning Glory was growing up the wall of the house at Bicton
Gardens, Devon, in 2003. I think it is not the ordinary one, but a
more spectacular one. I have also seen a similar one which is
certainly more than just an annual, growing in a hot house at
Slimbridge, the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, in Gloucestershire.
I've looked through the list of Ipomeas listed in the Chiltern
catalogue but cannot find one which seems to match.
I grow some ordinary ones each year and have saved seed, but I have
never grown any as blue or as big as these.
Any ideas?

Pam in Bristol

Hi Pam,

I'm pretty sure it's Ivyleaf Morning Glory - Ipomoea hederacea

HTH

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 29-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Dave Poole

Pam Moore wrote:

I would like to know what variety of Morning Glory is pictured here...
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pam...bum?.dir=/6958
assuming the photo works. I've not tried this before.

Pam this is the 'Blue Dawn Flower' - Ipomoea indica (formerly I.
learii), which is a rampant perennial in sub-tropical and tropical
regions. It is almost invariably propagated from cuttings that strike
with very great ease. In a lightly heated greenhouse it goes berserk
and can run on for 50 or 60 feet in 12 months producing many thousands
of flowers. Although these last for just a single day, the profusion
and near-constancy with which they are borne make this a truly
spectacular climber.

It can be grown in a sheltered, sunny spot out of doors in the summer
and our cooler climate tends to encourage far more restrained growth.
Cuttings rooted in March can be placed outside in large containers in
June and will climb anywhere up to 15 feet or so. Flowering usually
commences in July or August out of doors and continues until first
frosts. In the far South West, where frosts are light and infrequent,
Ipomoea indica often over winters satisfactorily out of doors -
usually from a self-rooted piece a good distance away from the
original plant. Its a great plant for mid to late summer colour and
the intensity of the blue on first opening is quite breathtaking.

You can rightly assume that I rate this 'tropical weed' very highly
and if 15 feet is too much to allow, you can easily wind it back on
itself. Sacha won't advertise it on here herself, but Hill House have
very nice plants of this for sale throughout much of the year.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November
Old 29-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Victoria Clare

Dave Poole wrote in
:

You can rightly assume that I rate this 'tropical weed' very highly
and if 15 feet is too much to allow, you can easily wind it back on
itself. Sacha won't advertise it on here herself, but Hill House have
very nice plants of this for sale throughout much of the year.

Ah - HA! (scribbles note to self...)

I've wanted some of this for a while. Suspect it will be a bit chilly up
here on the hill, but if it is that easy from cuttings that's not a problem
I guess.

I know a guy up in Mid-Devon that grows it in a big pot on rollers, and
just shunts it into the garage for the winter. Alas, my garden isn't flat
enough to roll big pots around. :-(

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Old 29-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Victoria Clare writes:

| I've wanted some of this for a while. Suspect it will be a bit chilly up
| here on the hill, but if it is that easy from cuttings that's not a problem
| I guess.
|
| I know a guy up in Mid-Devon that grows it in a big pot on rollers, and
| just shunts it into the garage for the winter. Alas, my garden isn't flat
| enough to roll big pots around. :-(

You don't need to. Just remember to layer a few shoots (even
easier than cuttings) in midsummer, and dig them up to overwinter.
It takes a little while to get going again.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-03-2005, 09:55 PM
Nick Gray

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
Pam Moore wrote:

I would like to know what variety of Morning Glory is pictured here...
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pam...bum?.dir=/6958
assuming the photo works. I've not tried this before.

Pam this is the 'Blue Dawn Flower' - Ipomoea indica (formerly I.
learii), which is a rampant perennial in sub-tropical and tropical
regions. It is almost invariably propagated from cuttings that strike
with very great ease. In a lightly heated greenhouse it goes berserk

snipped
Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

Hi Dave,

The Morning Glory photo that Pam linked to has ivy shaped leaves rather than
the heart shaped leaves of Ipomoea indica - so wouldn't this make it Ipomoea
hederacea (Ivyleaf Morning Glory)?

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 01-04-2005, 02:19 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Nick Gray wrote:
"Dave Poole" wrote in message
Pam Moore wrote:

I would like to know what variety of Morning Glory is pictured
here... http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pam...bum?.dir=/6958
assuming the photo works. I've not tried this before.

Pam this is the 'Blue Dawn Flower' - Ipomoea indica (formerly I.
learii), which is a rampant perennial in sub-tropical and tropical
regions. It is almost invariably propagated from cuttings that
strike with very great ease. In a lightly heated greenhouse it goes
berserk snipped Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

Hi Dave,

The Morning Glory photo that Pam linked to has ivy shaped leaves
rather than the heart shaped leaves of Ipomoea indica - so wouldn't
this make it Ipomoea hederacea (Ivyleaf Morning Glory)?

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

You could be right, but I have an indica and it looks pretty similar (one of
my very favourite plants)

Old 01-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Nick Gray wrote:
"Dave Poole" wrote in message
.. .

Pam this is the 'Blue Dawn Flower' - Ipomoea indica (formerly I.
learii), which is a rampant perennial in sub-tropical and tropical
regions. It is almost invariably propagated from cuttings that strike
with very great ease. In a lightly heated greenhouse it goes berserk

The Morning Glory photo that Pam linked to has ivy shaped leaves rather than
the heart shaped leaves of Ipomoea indica - so wouldn't this make it Ipomoea
hederacea (Ivyleaf Morning Glory)?

Well, my I. indica has ivy shaped leaves. The young ones are often
heart-shaped, but the older ones are not. There is a good Web page:

http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/Asagao/...atives/03.html

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Sacha

On 29/3/05 15:12, in article ,
"Pam Moore" wrote:

I would like to know what variety of Morning Glory is pictured here...
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pam...bum?.dir=/6958
assuming the photo works. I've not tried this before.

This Morning Glory was growing up the wall of the house at Bicton
Gardens, Devon, in 2003. I think it is not the ordinary one, but a
more spectacular one. I have also seen a similar one which is
certainly more than just an annual, growing in a hot house at
Slimbridge, the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, in Gloucestershire.
I've looked through the list of Ipomeas listed in the Chiltern
catalogue but cannot find one which seems to match.
I grow some ordinary ones each year and have saved seed, but I have
never grown any as blue or as big as these.
Any ideas?

Pam in Bristol

Pam, if you email me your address, Ray says he as 'baby' of this going spare
and I'll be happy either to send it to you or to get my Godson to deliver it
when he comes down here. He lives in Westbury-on-Trym and might be visiting
us soon as they're house-hunting. Consider it a pressie from Hill House!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Dave Poole

Nick Gray wrote:

The Morning Glory photo that Pam linked to has ivy shaped leaves rather than
the heart shaped leaves of Ipomoea indica - so wouldn't this make it Ipomoea
hederacea (Ivyleaf Morning Glory)?

Nick, I. indica does have heart-shaped leaves when in the juvenile
phase, but not later when ready to flower. At that point, it develops
typical 3-lobed leaves, somewhat similar to I. hederacea, but then so
do many perennial Ipomoeas. The flowers are the 'give-away', in
indica, they have a rose tint towards the centre. In hederacea, they
are white centrally and the overall colour is much paler.