Old 18-01-2003, 05:02 PM
ProfStragoff

Default Help with bush!

Got this very big bush, which is getting bigger every year. I know NOTHING
about gardening.I need to know if I can prune in back taking all leaves &
flowers off.

I have a good quality JPEG file (small) with a picture, as I don't know what it
is!

If anyone can offer help or advise, it would be much appreciated.

Rod.
E-mail
Old 18-01-2003, 07:02 PM
Alan Gould

In article , ProfStragoff
writes
Got this very big bush, which is getting bigger every year. I know NOTHING
about gardening.I need to know if I can prune in back taking all leaves &
flowers off.

Are the leaves and flowers on it now - in January?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 19-01-2003, 08:08 AM
JennyC

"ProfStragoff" wrote in message
Got this very big bush, which is getting bigger every year. I know

NOTHING
about gardening.I need to know if I can prune in back taking all

leaves &
flowers off.

I have a good quality JPEG file (small) with a picture, as I don't

know what it
is!

If anyone can offer help or advise, it would be much appreciated.

Rod.
E-mail

Hi Rod,
Can you get the photo onto a web page so that we can see it ?

Or could you describe it in a bit more detail:
a) when does it flower
b) colour of the flowers
c) leaf shape
d) whereabouts do you live

Jenny

Old 19-01-2003, 09:27 AM
JennyC

"Cereoid+10" wrote
ProfStragoff wrote
Got this very big bush, which is getting bigger every year. I know

NOTHING
about gardening.I need to know if I can prune in back taking all

leaves &
flowers off.
I have a good quality JPEG file (small) with a picture, as I

don't know
what it is!

If anyone can offer help or advise, it would be much appreciated.
Rod.

At least you Bush isn't trying to instigate a war with Iraq!

Totally OT but made me smile :~))
Jenny

Old 19-01-2003, 03:36 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
JennyC wrote:

Hi Rod,
Can you get the photo onto a web page so that we can see it ?

Or could you describe it in a bit more detail:
a) when does it flower
b) colour of the flowers
c) leaf shape
d) whereabouts do you live

He mailed me the JPEG, and I think that it is the common form of
Buddleia davidii - quite a nice bush of it, too.

My advice was to cut out 2/3 of the main stems as needed to make
space (and use them as firewood!) and to prune other stems back
to a couple of decent buds/shoots/live growth. I have never cut
one back to ONLY very old wood, and don't know how well they will
regrow.

Other people may give different advice, of course :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679