Old 02-04-2005, 02:30 AM
Steve Burrows

Default Liquid Feed And Wormeries

We are just getting into gardening having now actually got a garden, which
helps

Monty Don used a liquid feed, I think it was green in colour, does anyone
know what he uses or what's the best feed to buy?

Also I wanted to start a wormery. I have an old bin I have drilled lots of
holes in but its the worms that are causing me the problems. I know garden
worms wont do but are worms from the fishing tackle shop any good? Having
looked at the prices online they are a little expensive and I would like to
buy locally.

Any tips or help on starting a wormery would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

Old 02-04-2005, 10:42 AM
Oxymel of Squill

http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/

Old 04-04-2005, 12:03 PM

Steve Burrows wrote:

We are just getting into gardening having now actually got a garden, which
helps

Monty Don used a liquid feed, I think it was green in colour, does anyone
know what he uses or what's the best feed to buy?

Also I wanted to start a wormery. I have an old bin I have drilled lots of
holes in but its the worms that are causing me the problems. I know garden
worms wont do but are worms from the fishing tackle shop any good? Having
looked at the prices online they are a little expensive and I would like
to buy locally.

Any tips or help on starting a wormery would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

They'll be far more expensive in a fishing shop. Anyway, you already have
all the worms you need in your garden. Go and look under some leaf litter
or in a heap of rotting vegetation. The thin red worms are what you are
looking for. If your bin has holes in the bottom, then just fill it up and
leave it on the soil. The worms will find their own way in.

--
Excellent day for putting Slinkies on an escalator.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Eleni

"Steve Burrows" wrote in message

Also I wanted to start a wormery. I have an old bin I have drilled lots of
holes in but its the worms that are causing me the problems. I know garden
worms wont do but are worms from the fishing tackle shop any good? Having
looked at the prices online they are a little expensive and I would like
buy locally.

Any tips or help on starting a wormery would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

Hi Steve

If you google worm compost or vermicomposting, there are lots of useful
sites. I also use an old dustbin. I don't have holes in it but a tap at
the base and plenty of old crocks for drainage. Then layers of bedding
(shredded newspaper), the usual kitchen scraps/garden waste and some soil
and lime when needed. I also have a second bin with holes in the base that
I use for drying out the compost after I have "harvested" it. I place my
bin on bricks, partly so I can fit old milk containers under the tap to
collect the leachate. This can be used as a liquid feed and I have always
found it to be excellent, although I know some people don't recommend it.

About worms, you want Eisenia - I have Eisenia Foetida, or brandlings. I
really don't know if these can also be used as fishing bait. I got mine
originally from a friend's compost. You don't need many, they breed in no
time provided they get enough food and the right conditions. If you are
anywhere near Sheffield you are welcome to some of my worms, but otherwise
why not try asking around at gardening/recycling places?

Hope this helps,

Eleni.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:43 PM
Steve Burrows

"Steve Burrows" wrote in message
We are just getting into gardening having now actually got a garden, which
helps

Monty Don used a liquid feed, I think it was green in colour, does anyone
know what he uses or what's the best feed to buy?

Also I wanted to start a wormery. I have an old bin I have drilled lots of
holes in but its the worms that are causing me the problems. I know garden
worms wont do but are worms from the fishing tackle shop any good? Having
looked at the prices online they are a little expensive and I would like
buy locally.

Any tips or help on starting a wormery would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

Thank you all very much for your responses. They are very much appreciated.

Cant wait to get my hands dirty

Steve

Old 06-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Janet Tweedy

Word of warning with wormeries. I bought one from Wiggly Wigglers and
though I have followed instructions etc they don't seem to be
fantastically fast at breaking down the compost so I ma having to put a
small amount into the bins once a week and still continue to fill up the
compost bins at the back of the garden. Think at this rate I would need
about 25 bins to get rid of all the kitchen waste (minus the orange
peel) I had more worms in my plastic compost bins ...............

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 06-04-2005, 01:57 PM
bigboard

Janet Tweedy wrote:

Word of warning with wormeries. I bought one from Wiggly Wigglers and
though I have followed instructions etc they don't seem to be
fantastically fast at breaking down the compost so I ma having to put a
small amount into the bins once a week and still continue to fill up the
compost bins at the back of the garden. Think at this rate I would need
about 25 bins to get rid of all the kitchen waste (minus the orange
peel) I had more worms in my plastic compost bins ...............

Janet

This can be a problem. The worms don't break down the waste itself, but
rather feed on the results of the natural breakdown. It does go a bit
faster if you chop up the waste finely so it rots quicker.

--
Liberty is the Mother, not the Daughter of Order.
-Proudhon

Old 06-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Victoria Clare

"Eleni" wrote in
. uk:

Then
layers of bedding (shredded newspaper),

Just to say this is an important bit, and worth taking note of. There's
nothing like a sheet of newspaper (or handful of shreddings) to prevent a
worm bin getting all full of flies in the summer.

I just stick a single sheet on top every week or so and damp it. Avoid
great lumps of it though, or your worm compost will take longer and end up
looking a bit grey.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill