Old 04-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Registered User

Smile Vigrous Climbing plants

Hi All,

Just moved into a new place and the garden was set out last year from scratch. I now need to cover parts of the garden to provide a bit of privacy when out sunbathing!! if we get some sun this year...
Anyway, some suitable climbibg plants will do the job. I like roses but they take a lot of looking after. I'm all for low maintanence plants.
It is a south-east facing garden, if this is a help in suggesting the sort of climbers that might do well in this type of location.

Thanks

Mary
Old 04-04-2005, 03:36 PM
w.g.s.hamm

"mary prince" wrote in message

Hi All,

Just moved into a new place and the garden was set out last year from
scratch. I now need to cover parts of the garden to provide a bit of
privacy when out sunbathing!! if we get some sun this year...
Anyway, some suitable climbibg plants will do the job. I like roses but
they take a lot of looking after. I'm all for low maintanence plants.
It is a south-east facing garden, if this is a help in suggesting the
sort of climbers that might do well in this type of location.

My roses don't need a lot of looking after. I plant them and leave them to
it.
Anything which climbs will need to be controlled in some way at least once
a year or more often.

Old 04-04-2005, 04:14 PM
John

In article ,
mary prince wrote:

I now need to cover parts of the garden to provide a bit of
privacy ...

Russian ivy - grows like wildfire (though you won't get your screen in
the first year). It's a terrific plant, which after a year or so will
look like the Invasion of the Triffids if you don't keep it trimmed.

Others on this group have poo-pooed it as an invasive, boring nuisance.
Nonsense - it's easily maintained if you can be bothered (one or two
severe trims a year), is attractive (if you like bushy curves and
tendrils); foamy white flowers (which have a mild fragrance); I was
hoping mine would encourage birds to nest but I think it's too close to
my back door. I bought it to be a screen: it's worked excellently at
that.

John
Old 04-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Harold Walker

--
mary prince

Clematis virginia (Virgins bower) a vigourous and hardy grower....worth
looking into if you do not mind the seed heads spreading their wealth
around....HW

Old 04-04-2005, 05:33 PM
pk

John wrote:
In article ,
mary prince wrote:

I now need to cover parts of the garden to provide a bit of
privacy ...

Russian ivy - grows like wildfire (though you won't get your screen in
the first year). It's a terrific plant, which after a year or so will
look like the Invasion of the Triffids if you don't keep it trimmed.

Others on this group have poo-pooed it as an invasive, boring
nuisance. Nonsense - it's easily maintained if you can be bothered
(one or two severe trims a year), is attractive (if you like bushy
curves and tendrils); foamy white flowers (which have a mild
fragrance); I was hoping mine would encourage birds to nest but I
think it's too close to my back door. I bought it to be a screen:
it's worked excellently at that.

John

here's waht GQT had to say 1n 2002:

Question from Lynn Walters: Could the panel please

suggest how to get and keep the upper hand with a

Russian vine? We inherited one in our garden, and to

date it has grown over and through two garden sheds,

rowan tree and a holm oak, it's currently trying to

colonise a street lamp

Bob: I think that as a cover for wildlife they're fantastic, but they're not
garden plants. I was given one for my garden - beware gardeners bearing
gifts! - and it has been non-stop hacking back ever since. As you know, a
week after pruning it there are new three foot long stems touching
everything around and spiralling upwards. I'm sorry to say this, but if it's
a problem you've got to get right back to where the root comes out of the
ground and dig up the roots right there and kill it off, because there's no
way you're going to slow it down.
Lynn Walters: Unfortunately it's hiding between the garden shed and the
wall! The closest I can get to the roots is about six feet.

Bob: If you just wait another two years it'll have lifted the garden shed
clean up off the ground, and you'll be able to get underneath and hack it
off!

Pippa: Digging it out is going to be very difficult at the moment. The only
thing I could suggest is cutting it back. Or if there are no other plants
near it's base that you want to keep, there is a weedkiller which contains
ammonium sulphamate - which isn't a particularly pleasant thing but
sometimes drastic means are called for. Ideally you cut it back to a stump,
however, you can't get to the stump at the moment. But this material is
translocated or carried in the plant, so cut back as many of the stems as
you can, then apply the ammonium sulphamate to the cut ends of the stems,
and you'll find it has a fairly dramatic effect on the base. You can also
buy brushwood killers, which could be applied in a similar way. But with any
of these things you've got to be terribly careful that you don't contaminate
a plant that you want to keep, and that you don't get the material into the
soil if there's anything else growing in the vicinity.

Roy: Whenever I hear about the Russian vine I think of a story told to me by
a lady who used to open her garden occasionally for charity. They had this
huge Russian vine, and they decided on this particular occasion to cut it
back. When they finally got through to the heart of it they found an old
lost wheelbarrow, several footballs, and a hungry, slightly bewildered
member of the public who'd gone missing the day before!

Sorry, John. I agree with the panel

pk

Old 04-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary prince
Hi All,

Just moved into a new place and the garden was set out last year from scratch. I now need to cover parts of the garden to provide a bit of privacy when out sunbathing!! if we get some sun this year...
Anyway, some suitable climbibg plants will do the job. I like roses but they take a lot of looking after. I'm all for low maintanence plants.
It is a south-east facing garden, if this is a help in suggesting the sort of climbers that might do well in this type of location.

Thanks

Mary

Hi Mary

I have a couple of climbers in a south east facing position. A Clematis Jackmanii (lovely big purple flowers in July/August) - but it won't cover a really big fence (and it's decidous - are you looking for an evergreen?). It needs cutting back quite hard in early spring (is that too high maintenance?!)

Also, a Chilean Potato Vine (actually it's a Solanum Album - which is the white one, not the purple one) - which is semi-evergreen - but in my garden remains an evergreen. That has little white flowers July through to November-ish. Doesn't need much pruning unless it gets too big or leggy. Will need a bit of support though, as it doesn't cling or twine.

I grow the two together - and it looks really lovely.

I guess there's also the Clematis Montana which grows very quickly, and is evergreen. White or pink flowers depending on the variety.

Hope that helps,

Zoe
Old 05-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:38:45 +0000, mary prince
wrote:

Just moved into a new place and the garden was set out last year from
scratch. I now need to cover parts of the garden to provide a bit of
privacy when out sunbathing!! if we get some sun this year...
Anyway, some suitable climbibg plants will do the job. I like roses but
they take a lot of looking after. I'm all for low maintanence plants.
It is a south-east facing garden, if this is a help in suggesting the
sort of climbers that might do well in this type of location.

There's a climbing /Polygonum/ aka "silver lace vine" that is
notorious for its vigor.

But remember that the plant that fills up the allotted space in its
first year will continue to grow at much the same pace in future
years: triffids, indeed.

NB: "Polygonum", a buckwheat, not "Polygonatum", a solomon's seal.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, BC, Canada
Old 06-04-2005, 08:59 AM
JennyC

"mary prince" wrote in message

Hi All,

Just moved into a new place and the garden was set out last year from
scratch. I now need to cover parts of the garden to provide a bit of
privacy when out sunbathing!! if we get some sun this year...
Anyway, some suitable climbibg plants will do the job. I like roses but
they take a lot of looking after. I'm all for low maintanence plants.
It is a south-east facing garden, if this is a help in suggesting the
sort of climbers that might do well in this type of location.

Thanks
Mary

Ha - saw your post after all!
You could perhaps have been a bit more patient ...........:~)

I'm a great fan of ivy:
It's evergreen
You can prune it as much as you like
You can grow other thing up through it

jenny

Old 06-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Paul

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:59:39 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

"mary prince" wrote in message

Hi All,

Just moved into a new place and the garden was set out last year from
scratch. I now need to cover parts of the garden to provide a bit of
privacy when out sunbathing!! if we get some sun this year...
Anyway, some suitable climbibg plants will do the job. I like roses but
they take a lot of looking after. I'm all for low maintanence plants.
It is a south-east facing garden, if this is a help in suggesting the
sort of climbers that might do well in this type of location.

Thanks
Mary

If I may hitch a lift on this thread, I have a similar query. I have a
new build house with a 6 foot heigh brick wall (SE facing) along one
side of the garden. The builders have laid a nice looking path along
the base of the wall.

Would it be possible to grow a climber up the wall by planting in
troughs placed along the base of the wall (since I don't want to rip
the path up).

TIA

Paul

Old 06-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Kay

In article , JennyC
writes

"mary prince" wrote in message

Hi All,

Just moved into a new place and the garden was set out last year from
scratch. I now need to cover parts of the garden to provide a bit of
privacy when out sunbathing!! if we get some sun this year...
Anyway, some suitable climbibg plants will do the job. I like roses but
they take a lot of looking after. I'm all for low maintanence plants.
It is a south-east facing garden, if this is a help in suggesting the
sort of climbers that might do well in this type of location.

Thanks
Mary

Ha - saw your post after all!
You could perhaps have been a bit more patient ...........:~)

I'm a great fan of ivy:
It's evergreen
You can prune it as much as you like

Unfortunately you can't prune it as *little* as you'd like ;-)
(Not if you want to still be able to find your house and garden, that
is)

--
Kay