Old 05-04-2005, 10:04 AM
Registered User

Question Transplanting Freesias

Hello everyone,
I am new to the group, but I have (what I think is) an unusual question.
I am lucky enough to be able to grow freesias outdoors. They are just coming to the end of their flowering period and have multiplied so much in their pot that the other plants are now suffering as a result. I have a particularly well favoured patch of garden available for the transplanting as I think that they will benefit from 'a free run'. Can anyone tell me when the best time would be to carry this out? I am not worried whether they will live or die in their new position but I have no more room for another container and there is space in the garden.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:04:28 +0000, Chris Hanson
wrote:

Hello everyone,
I am new to the group, but I have (what I think is) an unusual
question.
I am lucky enough to be able to grow freesias outdoors. They are just
coming to the end of their flowering period and have multiplied so much
in their pot that the other plants are now suffering as a result. I
have a particularly well favoured patch of garden available for the
transplanting as I think that they will benefit from 'a free run'. Can
anyone tell me when the best time would be to carry this out? I am not
worried whether they will live or die in their new position but I have
no more room for another container and there is space in the garden.

Welcome!
So what's the secret? I have never been able to grow them.
You don't say where you live. Are they some special variety?

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Totty

Can
anyone tell me when the best time would be to carry this out? I am not

worried whether they will live or die in their new position but I have
no more room for another container and there is space in the garden.

I have found that freesias grown in a pot will happily transplant to
the garden once their flowers have gone over. Cut off the flower stems
so they don't waste energy trying to grow seeds (you can let them do
that next year) and plant them where you are happy for them to spread.
I give them a dilute liquid feed as long as the leaves are green, then
forget about them until they start to show leaves through the soil, in
my case sometime in November.

Jo
On a south facing slope on the Mediterranean coast of Spain

Old 05-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Mike

Oh Dear Totty :-((

You've been net nannied

Old 06-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Totty

I am lucky enough to be able to grow freesias outdoors. ...

Led me to believe that Chris might not be gardening in the UK.

Jo
PS. I read the weekly abc before coming out of lurking kindergarten.

Old 07-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totty
I am lucky enough to be able to grow freesias outdoors. ...

Led me to believe that Chris might not be gardening in the UK.

Jo
PS. I read the weekly abc before coming out of lurking kindergarten.

Well spotted Jo, correct, your starter for 10.

These particular freesias are in Mallorca in a non-functioning bidet! My poor old p-pot is over laden with them and are completely smoothering my crassula argentia, another low growing succulent and an azalea that suffered with the snow this winter. The freesias gave a magnificent show, but having removed them all last year from the bidet I was amazed to see them growing this year!
I was lucky enough to see them this year as I hadn't expected to be there.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Totty

but having removed them all last year from the bidet
I was amazed to see them growing this year!

It's those sneaky little bulblets that fall of the parent plant as you
pull it out! The freesias did not seem to be set back by the snow and
frost, in fact the only plants that seem to have been permanently
affected on our stretch of coast are the banana "trees". Strelitzias
came through unscathed.

Jo

Freesias? oldhickory Texas 2 18-12-2006 03:23 AM
Planting freesias Sacha United Kingdom 1 22-11-2005 11:11 PM
Problem With Growing Freesias Moo United Kingdom 4 10-06-2005 07:38 AM
Freesias - Growing Question From Newbie Moo United Kingdom 1 23-05-2005 06:20 PM
Freesias Already??? Fleemo Gardening 2 16-09-2003 07:02 PM