Old 05-04-2005, 10:32 PM
batgirl

Default What to do with my removed turf

Hi,

I have just removed all the old turf from my garden as it was incredibly
lumpy and filled with weeds. I am preparing the site now to sow grass seed
when I'm ready. My problem is, now I have an enormous pile of turf at the
bottom of my garden. What can I do with it? It is FULL of weeds, I've
removed what I can but I'm sure a fair few dandelions etc. have slipped
through. The area I cleared is 5m by 10m so there is a huge amount and I
don't really want a hill at the bottom of my garden! Any ideas gratefully
received!

Clare

Old 05-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Phil L

batgirl wrote:
:: Hi,
::
:: I have just removed all the old turf from my garden as it was
:: incredibly lumpy and filled with weeds. I am preparing the site
:: now to sow grass seed when I'm ready. My problem is, now I have an
:: enormous pile of turf at the bottom of my garden. What can I do
:: with it? It is FULL of weeds, I've removed what I can but I'm sure
:: a fair few dandelions etc. have slipped through. The area I
:: cleared is 5m by 10m so there is a huge amount and I don't really
:: want a hill at the bottom of my garden! Any ideas gratefully
:: received!
::
:: Clare

Upturned sods make good compost...put them on the beds (if you have any) so
that the grass is facing downwards and the roots upwards...as far as the
dandelions go, you only have the tops, the main roots are still where they
were before... unless you dug right down to get them all out, they will come
straight back.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we."
- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004

Old 05-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Mike

"batgirl" wrote in message
Hi,

I have just removed all the old turf from my garden as it was incredibly
lumpy and filled with weeds. I am preparing the site now to sow grass seed
when I'm ready. My problem is, now I have an enormous pile of turf at the
bottom of my garden. What can I do with it? It is FULL of weeds, I've
removed what I can but I'm sure a fair few dandelions etc. have slipped
through. The area I cleared is 5m by 10m so there is a huge amount and I
don't really want a hill at the bottom of my garden! Any ideas gratefully
received!

Clare

Hi Clare

We have in the past done the same thing and you scratch your head and wonder
how the devil you can make it disappear :-((

You will have to build a turf wall or square, preferably the latter if you
have the room. Turn each turf upside down and place them on top of each
other. As I say either build a wall or a square. The grass on the outside
will tend to want to grow, that is why a square is better. Ignore it for
about a couple of months then slice down the sides and remove this growing
grass. Dump it on top, upside down. Keep on doing this during the growing
season. By the way you can make use of this pile to grow marrows on :-))

In time, about 12 months, possibly more, the pile would have reduced in
size, all the weeds in the middle died and if you can leave it for another
12 months, you will find you have a wonderful fine soil suitable for putting
back in the beds :-))

Mike

Old 05-04-2005, 11:25 PM
Phil L

Mike wrote:
:: "batgirl" wrote in message
:: ...
::: Hi,
:::
[...]

You said all that without mentioning cats!

:-p

Old 06-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Mike

You said all that without mentioning cats!

Sod it sorry ;-(

badgirl, I forgot to mention that once the soil has broken down to a fine
tilth and you spread it on the garden, all of your very inconsiderate VERMIN
CAT owning neighbours, will let their vile animals onto said borders and
garden to use as their toilet. I strongly recommend the Cat and Dog
Deterrent mention in previous threads, even though Barrowcloth is in a
veiled way calling me a liar and that it doesn't work on the Vermin. It does
:-)) You should see them running away shaking their heads :-))))))

Hope that helps

Mike

Old 06-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Magwitch

Phil L muttered:

Thats better :-p
TBH I wouldn't mind seeing the odd cat in my garden, the bloody place is a
rodent's paradise, the side fence has started rotting away and on the other
side of it is a mass of brambles (I leave these in place to deter the other
type of rat)...only 150 yds away is a brook and several stagnant swampy
ponds, I'm sure they are coming from there but there seems to be an endless
supply of them...I've followed all the 'rules', no foodstuffs or hidey holes
but still they enter my garden in plagues...poison works for about a week,
traps are a waste of time as they learn too quickly to avoid them...they
seem to disappear in summer but for the rest of the year they swarm all over
the place, I think we need to introduce some snakes to this country,
genetically modified ones that breed like wildfire, are frost tollerant and
thrive on rats...it's definately got a lot worse in these past 2 - 3 years.

Get a ratting terrier, Jack Russell, Border ‹ any of them will do. The rats
will keep a wide berth.

Old 06-04-2005, 04:04 PM
batgirl

I get the feeling you're not going to like me, but I have 5 cats so I will
have to put up with the poo!

Clare :-)

Old 06-04-2005, 04:04 PM
batgirl

For got to say, thanks for the advice guys, by a stroke of luck I have
actually been building a wall of upturned turves so am well on the way.

Clare (feline defender!)

Old 06-04-2005, 05:12 PM
Mike

"batgirl" wrote in message
I get the feeling you're not going to like me, but I have 5 cats so I will
have to put up with the poo!

Clare :-)

The subject has been brought up time and time again, "Why" 5? Why not just
one?

However, I "AM" going to like you because it is YOUR garden full of cat crap
and not your neighbours. Well how I read your post it is :-))

Mike
In a cat crap free garden despite what Barrowcloth says when she calls me a
liar :-))

Old 06-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Mike

"batgirl" wrote in message
For got to say, thanks for the advice guys, by a stroke of luck I have
actually been building a wall of upturned turves so am well on the way.

The bits sticking out will grow, just give it a haircut ;-)

Clare (feline defender!)

GGGGgggrrrrrrrrrrr

;-)

Organic Turf / Pesticide Free Turf Mj62 Lawns 7 06-02-2011 06:57 PM
Turf on top of turf flashman Lawns 5 09-03-2006 10:10 PM
New turf lawn - joins and turf quality Muzz United Kingdom 0 30-06-2005 01:08 PM
Turf on Turf Mike P. United Kingdom 1 22-06-2003 11:20 AM
How do I remove new shoots from a removed tree? Robin Henderson Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:36 AM