Old 11-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Susan

Default Alternative to Lobelia

lobelia dry out really quickly in hanging baskets. I usually use cascading
lobelia around the outsides of the basket, but I agree that they do dry out
quickly and don't really recover afterwards. What else could I use, instead
of lobelia, that will cover and hide the sides of the basket?

Many thanks.

Old 11-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Phil L

Susan wrote:
:: that lobelia dry out really quickly in hanging baskets. I usually
:: use cascading lobelia around the outsides of the basket, but I
:: agree that they do dry out quickly and don't really recover
:: afterwards. What else could I use, instead of lobelia, that will
:: cover and hide the sides of the basket?
::
:: Many thanks.

Verbena?...they don't grow as thick as lobelia but they do look stunning
with very bright flowers and are quite 'dangley'...

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we."
- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004

Old 11-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Susan wrote:
lobelia dry out really quickly in hanging baskets. I usually use
cascading lobelia around the outsides of the basket, but I agree that
they do dry out quickly and don't really recover afterwards. What
else could I use, instead of lobelia, that will cover and hide the
sides of the basket?

Many thanks.

What about trailing petunias? Tumbelina are my favourites - double blooms
and a heavenly scent. Or, if you fancy something more unusual how about
Scaevola Zig Zag? Bought some for the first time last year and they were
fantastic - half daisy-like blooks that range from white with a purple
stripe, to the deepest amethyst depending on the light. Bought mine from
Dobies last year - £7.95 for 5 pot ready plants. Unfortunately, you're a
fortnight too late to order for this year.... ( But, er, they're some
ideas for next year... ;o)

Old 11-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Kay

In article , Susan
writes
lobelia dry out really quickly in hanging baskets. I usually use cascading
lobelia around the outsides of the basket, but I agree that they do dry out
quickly and don't really recover afterwards. What else could I use, instead
of lobelia, that will cover and hide the sides of the basket?

Anagallis - blue pimpernel? Same intense blue flowers as the dark blue
lobelias, less inclined to dry out, and really stunning once they get
going.
--
Kay

Old 11-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:13:34 GMT, "Susan" wrote:

lobelia dry out really quickly in hanging baskets. I usually use cascading
lobelia around the outsides of the basket, but I agree that they do dry out
quickly and don't really recover afterwards. What else could I use, instead
of lobelia, that will cover and hide the sides of the basket?

The fair city in which I dwell was some kind of pioneer in hanging
basket technology, dangling the things from downtown lamp standards,
starting (afaik) back in the 1950's. [Sadly, their standards have
slipped badly in recent years.] As a result, there's a lot of local
knowledge on how to manage the things.

Lobelia has been a mainstay of the city's baskets for as long as I can
remember.

Some guidelines:

Rule #1: water your hanging baskets *every* day!

Rule #2: when you water, make sure you saturate the soil. I've heard a
recommendation for homeowners to water a hanging basket three times at
shortish intervals to do so.

Rule #3: make sure there's a saucer of some sort attached to the
bottom of the basket to provide an auxiliary supply of water for windy
days when evaporation rates are high.

Phil L suggested verbenas but in my personal experience there's a
small problem: verbenas only do well in full sun, whereas lobelia will
do well in partly shaded positions.

Also, even verbenas look pretty tatty if they dry out, though it's not
quite so much of a bad-hair day as with dried out lobelia.

Lobelia also offers the advantage of allowing a mix of pale sky blue
and deep purple-blue: the combination in juxtaposition is ahem quite
startling. Verbenas, bright though they are, don't offer this same
opportunity.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, BC, Canada

Old 12-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Sacha

On 11/4/05 2:13 pm, in article ,
"Susan" wrote:

lobelia dry out really quickly in hanging baskets. I usually use cascading
lobelia around the outsides of the basket, but I agree that they do dry out
quickly and don't really recover afterwards. What else could I use, instead
of lobelia, that will cover and hide the sides of the basket?

Many thanks.

There's a new blue Bacopa which is lovely and then there's Brachycombe,
Anagallis and Verbena.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Spider

Susan wrote in message
lobelia dry out really quickly in hanging baskets. I usually use

cascading
lobelia around the outsides of the basket, but I agree that they do dry

out
quickly and don't really recover afterwards. What else could I use,

instead
of lobelia, that will cover and hide the sides of the basket?

Many thanks.

Hi Susan,

Erigeron karvinskianus would cope very well and be extremely pretty. Alas,
it isn't blue. (It's white/pink/reddish). It will put up with a *little*
bit of shade, although it prefers sun.

Spider

OT - sort of. New use for Lobelia? Sacha United Kingdom 50 22-10-2003 08:42 PM
Lobelia - cut back? smeric Gardening 2 13-05-2003 10:56 PM
Lobelia Polar Gardening 0 30-04-2003 09:20 PM
lobelia cardinalis: tips to grow? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:14 AM
lobelia cardinalis rotting roots..help! Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 18-04-2003 09:21 AM