Old 12-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Mark

Default Dog spoilt grass, help.

Hi all.

My 9 month old Boxer dog has just about ruined my grass by mainly peeing on
it.
Is there any way to bring it back or is it time to think about a patio.

Thanks

Mark

Old 12-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Brian

"Mark" wrote in message
Hi all.

My 9 month old Boxer dog has just about ruined my grass by mainly peeing

on
it.
Is there any way to bring it back or is it time to think about a patio.

Thanks

Mark
__________________

Your 'dog' will be a 'bitch'~~ These 'bitch marks' soon grow
out and just leave patches of very green healthy grass. Keeping the whole
lawn well fertilised would hide these green rings but is not really
necessary unless you are aiming for perfection.
Besr Wishes Brian.

Old 12-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Tumbleweed

"Mark" wrote in message
Hi all.

My 9 month old Boxer dog has just about ruined my grass by mainly peeing
on it.
Is there any way to bring it back or is it time to think about a patio.

Thanks

Mark

Its time to think about training the dog.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 12-04-2005, 11:43 PM
Mike Lyle

Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
Hi all.

My 9 month old Boxer dog has just about ruined my grass by mainly
peeing on it.
Is there any way to bring it back or is it time to think about a
patio.

Thanks

Mark

Its time to think about training the dog.

May be too late for that. (Why are British people so reluctant to
train their dogs? The dogs love it, and everybody gains.) I believe
putting tomato juice or tinned tomatoes in the bitch's feed will help
with the grass problem, but I've never actually tried it. Good for
her anyhow.

--
Mike.

Old 13-04-2005, 06:21 AM
Mike

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
Hi all.

My 9 month old Boxer dog has just about ruined my grass by mainly
peeing on it.
Is there any way to bring it back or is it time to think about a
patio.

Thanks

Mark

Its time to think about training the dog.

May be too late for that.

Certainly NOT too late. A dog can be trained at any age, but whether the
owner/handler has the patience/will power and the knowledge of how to go
about it, is a different thing.

The Guide Dogs for the Blind train their dogs, and bitches, to go for a wee
etc when told and where. This does start from the age of 6 weeks in Labs and
10 weeks in German Shepeards. The expression used is 'Busy', and when the
dog/bitch first starts, and this is usually in the house :-((, then the
dog/bitch is picked up PDQ, taken outside and told 'Busy'. The animal soon
gets the message, especially if the owner/handler uses their head and
thinks, 'The dog/bitch should by now need to relieve itself' takes it
outside to a pre determined area and is told 'Busy' and given praise. (But
that comes in ALL dof training)

By the way, when talking/training your dog/bitch, you are less threatening
to it if you stoop down very low to the animal's level. Bit difficult with a
very small dog ;-((

There is no thing as a badly trained dog. Only a badly, or untrained owner.

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past

Old 13-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Victoria Clare

"Mike Lyle" wrote in
:

Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
Hi all.

My 9 month old Boxer dog has just about ruined my grass by mainly
peeing on it.
Is there any way to bring it back or is it time to think about a
patio.

Its time to think about training the dog.

May be too late for that.

????
This dog is only nine months old - why should it not learn?

Mine is 5 years, and an ex-racing greyhound, so many things were new to
her. She joined our family 6 months ago, and is now a (mostly) well-
behaved pet.

Dogs don't lose their ability to learn with age any more than people do,
and this is barely more than a puppy.

The grass will recover, especially if it is watered.

However, it may not be convenient to have the dog urinate elsewhere, and
as Janet says, if you want a young bouncy dog to play in the garden,
it's going to rip up grass doing it, so replacing at least some of it
with paving, bark or gravel may be the simplest option.

I believe
putting tomato juice or tinned tomatoes in the bitch's feed will help
with the grass problem, but I've never actually tried it. Good for
her anyhow.

The tomato thing has been tested, and was apparently mostly myth. When
it works, it is probably because the dog likes tomato juice and drinks
more than it would if it were only given water, so the urine is less
concentrated and therefore burns the grass less.

Victoria

--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 13-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Kate Morgan

My 9 month old Boxer dog has just about ruined my grass by mainly peeing
on it.
Is there any way to bring it back or is it time to think about a patio.

You think you have problems, my pony mare leaves bare patches all over
the paddock, they soon grow back :-)))

kate
Old 13-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Mark

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.222...
"Mike Lyle" wrote in
news:3c317vF6kup in :

Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Hi again.

The Boxer in question is called "Blue", is a male & has passed his puppy
foundation course & is now having the next stage of training at a local dog
training class. Blue has still not started "cocking his leg" yet and so
instead of peeing around the edge of the garden is still going on he grass.
We have got him to do his solids in a small area of dirt at the bottom of
the garden but will not go there to pee. Blue is very active, as are all
Boxers, and this has added to the grass being scrabbed up in places as well.
I was hoping I could get some hardy grass seed down & together with some
fertiliser maybe the grass would come back, especially if he starts to "cock
his leg" around the edge of the garden or better still in his toilet area.

Thanks for your replies.

Mark

Old 13-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Mike

, especially if he starts to "cock
his leg" around the edge of the garden or better still in his toilet area.

:-))

and give praise when 'he' ;-) does.

Dogs are "MUCH" better than humans :-)

Mike

Old 13-04-2005, 07:37 PM
Magwitch

Mark muttered:

Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

I've noticed when dogs start cocking their legs it's used as a scent marker
for their territory so they'll pick an upright object or grass hummock
(other dogs notice the scent more at nose hieght). Your dog will probably
stop peeing on the lawn quite soon anyway.

Old 14-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Victoria Clare

"Mark" wrote in
:

I was hoping I could get some hardy grass seed down & together with
some fertiliser maybe the grass would come back, especially if he
starts to "cock his leg" around the edge of the garden or better still
in his toilet area.

I would suggest, not fertilizer. Just keep it well watered.

The reason the grass is dying off is that it is being over-fertilised
because the urine is too strong for it.

If you add more fertiliser, it will just delay the recovery, whereas if you
water well, it will wash away some of the excess and leave you with a
particularly fertile area instead.

Re the tearing up thing - take a good look at the lawn and see if there are
one or two areas that are worst hit (eg by the gate, perhaps?) If you can
put down a paving slab or bark or something there, it will take the
pressure off and damage to the rest of the lawn will be less noticeable,
because you've got rid of the really bad bit.

Victoria
Old 14-04-2005, 12:44 PM
w.g.s.hamm

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Once he has started cocking his leg your lawn will be safe from his pee but
your plants, shrubs etc will die where he pees on them :-)