Old 26-01-2003, 08:31 PM
pronoun

Default Tomato Grafting

Hi,

Does anyone have any tips re Grafting Tomatoes. I'm giving it a try with
Marshals Rootstock, Red Alert, and Alicante etc. Will the resulting plant
(if successful) be a hybrid?

H Fear UK

Old 27-01-2003, 06:52 AM
Alan Gould

In article MpXY9.4890$pS2.282439@stones, pronoun fearhoward@fearhowar
d.plus.com writes
Hi,

Does anyone have any tips re Grafting Tomatoes. I'm giving it a try with
Marshals Rootstock, Red Alert, and Alicante etc. Will the resulting plant
(if successful) be a hybrid?

It's worth a try. Marshalls say that they give full instructions.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 27-01-2003, 07:55 AM
Tumbleweed

In article MpXY9.4890$pS2.282439@stones, pronoun fearhoward@fearhowar
d.plus.com writes
Hi,

Does anyone have any tips re Grafting Tomatoes. I'm giving it a try with
Marshals Rootstock, Red Alert, and Alicante etc. Will the resulting

plant
(if successful) be a hybrid?

No it will be a plant with one variety as rootstock, the other (whatever you
have grafted on) as the actual tomato.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Old 27-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Pete The Gardener

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 20:31:21 -0000, "pronoun"
wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have any tips re Grafting Tomatoes. I'm giving it a try with
Marshals Rootstock, Red Alert, and Alicante etc.

I've not tried it so can't comment on whether it's worth it.

Will the resulting plant
(if successful) be a hybrid?

No, a hybrid is a sexual cross between 2 diferent species (or
occassionally genera)you will have one variety of rootstock and a
different variety of scion that have been joined together, they will
still both be different genetically.
--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

Old 28-01-2003, 06:58 AM
pronoun

Hi All,

Thank you for your replies. I have sown the seeds, and if I understand, I
will get the equivalent of a heart transplant--rather than a hybrid (If it
all works out). What will the offspring of such a plant be? My guess: half
the genes of the top bit (scion) and half of whatever pollinates it.

H Fear

Old 28-01-2003, 07:13 AM
Martin Sykes

"pronoun" wrote in message
Hi All,

Thank you for your replies. I have sown the seeds, and if I understand, I
will get the equivalent of a heart transplant--rather than a hybrid (If it
all works out). What will the offspring of such a plant be? My guess:

half
the genes of the top bit (scion) and half of whatever pollinates it.

You can sometimes get hybrid shoots arising from the grafting point which
are a mix of the scion and the root stock. I don't know how common they are
and I've never seen one on sale but when grown on they are described as
Something + Something instead of Something x Something.

Martin

Tomato Grafting Jim Marrs Texas 4 07-02-2006 01:09 AM
Grafting books? Gary Woods Edible Gardening 1 18-03-2003 08:08 PM
Grafting books? Gary Woods Edible Gardening 0 17-03-2003 10:42 PM
grafting japanese maples Karen United Kingdom 1 10-03-2003 08:09 PM
[IBC] Practicing Grafting Brent Walston Bonsai 0 27-02-2003 04:55 PM