Old 21-04-2005, 05:45 AM
[H]omer

Default Heat my Greenhouse?

Just bought one of those Paraffin heaters (the one that lasts two
weeks), for my newly assembled mini-greenhouse.

All I need now is the Paraffin, but ... er ... where do you buy it?

Sorry, but I've never bought Paraffin before

Thanks,

-
[H]omer
Old 21-04-2005, 07:14 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , "[H]omer"
writes
Just bought one of those Paraffin heaters (the one that lasts two
weeks), for my newly assembled mini-greenhouse.

All I need now is the Paraffin, but ... er ... where do you buy it?

DIY sheds, garden centres, hardware shops, garages (not on the pump
nowadays) etc. - not all but at least some will sell paraffin in
plastic 5L containers.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 21-04-2005, 09:41 AM
JB

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 05:45:12 +0100, "[H]omer" wrote:

Just bought one of those Paraffin heaters (the one that lasts two
weeks), for my newly assembled mini-greenhouse.

All I need now is the Paraffin, but ... er ... where do you buy it?

Sorry, but I've never bought Paraffin before

Thanks,

-
[H]omer

Avoid buying paraffin from DIY stores they will charge far more than
everywhere else. My local DIY store charges £1/litre (£1.25/litre at
the store near my office!). On the other hand the corner hardware
store (yes we still haved one!) charges 70p/litre.

Best options are to look for old fashioned hardware stores or garages
in semi-rural locations.

Isn't a bit late in the year to be starting to heat your greenhouse?

JB

Old 21-04-2005, 03:03 PM
[H]omer

JB wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 05:45:12 +0100, "[H]omer" wrote:

Just bought one of those Paraffin heaters (the one that lasts two
weeks), for my newly assembled mini-greenhouse.

All I need now is the Paraffin, but ... er ... where do you buy it?

Best options are to look for old fashioned hardware stores or garages
in semi-rural locations.

Thanks. When the heater arrives, I'll nip along to the garage and ask.

Isn't a bit late in the year to be starting to heat your greenhouse?

Not in Cruden Bay; the wind off the North Sea is freezing right up to
mid-summer. I only erected the Greenhouse 3 days ago, hence the heating
requirement at this time.

The thermometer in the Greenhouse recorded 10/oC as the lowest temp last
night, with averages of around 20/oC during the day (on cloudy days) -
is that too cold for young plants like Begonia, Portulaca etc.?

-
[H]omer
Old 21-04-2005, 03:35 PM
[H]omer

Chris French and Helen Johnson wrote:
In message , "[H]omer"
writes

Just bought one of those Paraffin heaters (the one that lasts two
weeks), for my newly assembled mini-greenhouse.

All I need now is the Paraffin, but ... er ... where do you buy it?

DIY sheds, garden centres, hardware shops, garages (not on the pump
nowadays) etc. - not all but at least some will sell paraffin in
plastic 5L containers.

Thanks. I've never actually seen the stuff for sale anywhere, although
until now I haven't really been looking.

I don't have a car (never have) and all the 'local' DIY/Garden suppliers
are miles away, in places that aren't on a direct bus route (the wilds
of Scotland). So getting anything other than bread and milk round here
is a major ordeal, and even the bread is stale most of the time.

99% of everything I buy is off the .Net, but Paraffin is one of those
'dangerous goods' items that probably can't be posted, right?

Anyway, if the local garage doesn't stock it, I suppose I'll just have
to take a taxi into town.

BTW - I had a look at your Website - great source of info, thanks. There
is one problem though; the anchor links #seeds, #equip, #organic and
#websites don't work because they link to
"file:///H|/WEBSTUFF/familyfrench/garden/urgfaq/index.html#anchor-link"
rather than the website. Great page otherwise though.

Thanks again,

-
[H]omer

Old 21-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Sue Begg

In message , "[H]omer"
writes
JB wrote:
[...]

Probably a bit far out of the way for you but if all else fails
Cameron's Garage in Cuminestown have it at about half the price of B&Q.
But you have to take your own container.
--
Sue Begg
Remove my clothes to reply.

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Old 21-04-2005, 04:18 PM
spakker

"[H]omer" wrote in message
Just bought one of those Paraffin heaters (the one that lasts two
weeks), for my newly assembled mini-greenhouse.

All I need now is the Paraffin, but ... er ... where do you buy it?

Wouldn't red diesel do?

Old 21-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , "[H]omer"
writes
Chris French and Helen Johnson wrote:

BTW - I had a look at your Website - great source of info, thanks. There
is one problem though; the anchor links #seeds, #equip, #organic and
#websites don't work because they link to
"file:///H|/WEBSTUFF/familyfrench/garden/urgfaq/index.html#anchor-link"
rather than the website.

Yeah I know..........

Great page otherwise though.

Thanks, but actually it's days are numbered, it's very out of date, and
I've not the time/motivation right now to update it. No one else was
interested in taking it on, so when I sort out our web pages I'll
probably take it down.
Old 21-04-2005, 11:48 PM
[H]omer

Sue Begg wrote:

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 05:45:12 +0100, "[H]omer" wrote:

Just bought one of those Paraffin heaters (the one that lasts two
weeks), for my newly assembled mini-greenhouse.

All I need now is the Paraffin, but ... er ... where do you buy it?

Probably a bit far out of the way for you but if all else fails
Cameron's Garage in Cuminestown have it at about half the price of B&Q.
But you have to take your own container.

Hmmm, 27 miles is a bit far.

I discovered there is a *great* store in Ellon (11 miles) called 'J.R.D.
Equipment'. Bigger than most B&Q's and *much* better quality. Their
range of plants is stunning - and so healthy too. Not as many plants,
but much nicer and more interesting. They have a Weeping Cherry and
Japanese Maple that I've decided to buy, and a shrub (forgot the name,
sorry) but it was gorgeous - little yellow flowers and apparently a
favourite of ladybirds. Their garden furniture and ornaments are
fantastic too.

Oh I can see I'm going to be skint by the end of the month ... again

Yes I did remember to buy what I actually went there for

-
[H]omer

Natural solar heat gain v controlled heat gain? keith kent Orchids 3 27-11-2007 05:56 PM
Greenhouse oil heat math question Al Orchids 17 21-12-2005 11:28 AM
Greenhouse Heat Chuckie Gardening 11 01-04-2005 02:51 AM
Most econimical way to heat 10x 8 greenhouse to 15c/59f min? keith ;-\) United Kingdom 3 13-02-2005 11:50 AM
heat stroke and heat exhaustion [email protected] Ponds 29 31-05-2003 03:56 AM