Old 22-04-2005, 08:42 PM

Default How do I...?

Can someone please tell me how to get sub-terranean termites out of my
veggie bed... they desimate my turnips, broccoli, cabbage and
brussels!! If I move the plants.. they follow!
How, oh HOW, do I get rid of my unwanted garden guests????!
TIA very much!

Erin

Old 22-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Bob Hobden

Erin wrote...
Can someone please tell me how to get sub-terranean termites out of my
veggie bed... they desimate my turnips, broccoli, cabbage and
brussels!! If I move the plants.. they follow!
How, oh HOW, do I get rid of my unwanted garden guests????!
TIA very much!

Termites? In the UK? Are you sure?
Or are you somewhere else in this small world?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 22-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Bob Hobden wrote:
Erin wrote...
Can someone please tell me how to get sub-terranean termites out of
my veggie bed... they desimate my turnips, broccoli, cabbage and
brussels!! If I move the plants.. they follow!
How, oh HOW, do I get rid of my unwanted garden guests????!
TIA very much!

Termites? In the UK? Are you sure?
Or are you somewhere else in this small world?

A quick check of her headers shows her to be somewhere in the US Mountain
Time region...

Old 22-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Alan Gabriel

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can someone please tell me how to get sub-terranean termites out of my
veggie bed... they desimate my turnips, broccoli, cabbage and
brussels!! If I move the plants.. they follow!
How, oh HOW, do I get rid of my unwanted garden guests????!
TIA very much!

Erin

Get some racoons.

--
Regards,
Alan

Preserve wildlife - pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Old 23-04-2005, 05:00 AM
[H]omer

Alan Gabriel wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Can someone please tell me how to get sub-terranean termites out of my
veggie bed... they desimate my turnips, broccoli, cabbage and
brussels!! If I move the plants.. they follow!
How, oh HOW, do I get rid of my unwanted garden guests????!
TIA very much!

Get some racoons.

"Coons? When raccoons try to get on our back porch, Momma just chase 'em
off with a broom."

Incidentally, although many dictionaries indicate that the common name
for “Procyon lotor“ may be spelled either “racoon” or “raccoon”, the
most commonly accepted spelling is “raccoon”; as per the official
classification of the species. The word raccoon is derived from the
Algonquin North American Indian word "aroughcoune", which means "he who
scratches with his hands". The great unwashed Pioneers could have
benefited from the linguistic insight provided by the likes of Samuel
Johnson, but unfortunately had to make do with Noah Webster, which
accounts for why Americans can’t spell. Not that the common Brit is much
better, but at least we have the authoritative reference in the form of
the Oxford English Dictionary. However, since being invaded by a Yank
(Jesse Sheidlower), the integrity of even *that* great reference work
must be called into question.

Seriously though, I can't resist the Netcop tendency to correct the
spelling of "sub-terranean" (subterranean) and "desimate" (decimate), or
my urge to immediately Google for "subterranean termite", otherwise
known as the Dictyoptera Isoptera Rhinotermitidae family, to use the
taxonomic classification:

http://tolweb.org/tree?group=Rhinote...group=Isoptera

Further research turned up a little beastie called Coptotermes
formosanus (Shiraki), or to give it the full classification; Eukaryotes
Metazoa Bilateria Arthropoda Hexapoda Insecta Pterygota Neoptera
Dictyoptera Isoptera Rhinotermitidae Coptotermes formosanus (Shiraki).

http://www.extento.hawaii.edu/kbase/...l/formterm.htm

As you can see from the Tolweb link, there are several species, but
dealing with any one of them should require similar tactics:

http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/b-6080.html

Apparently termites (Isoptera) are in same group (Dictyoptera) as
cockroaches (Blattaria), which we *do* get in the UK. All I can tell you
about cockroaches is, never squish 'em, 'cos you'll just help to
distribute their eggs.

Ain’t entomology fun, ‘n shit?

I would imagine there is a chemical treatment for termites similar to
the Vine Weevil (Otiorhynchus sulcatus) killer Armillatox®, but never
having been any further west than Oban, I really wouldn't know.

-
[H]omer

Old 23-04-2005, 01:13 PM

Well....
I'm not sure how to take Homer's (spelling correct?) message....
However, I'm currently located in the northeastern part of the US -
which is why I suppose I cannot spell. In any case, spelling or locale,
I wasn't aware that I couldn't ask a question from this list which I
had found to be loaded with very smart people! I guess perhaps I'll
Google rather than bother this list. Sorry for wasting time.

Regards,
Erin

Old 23-04-2005, 02:42 PM
Harold Walker

wrote in message
oups.com...
Well....
I'm not sure how to take Homer's (spelling correct?) message....
However, I'm currently located in the northeastern part of the US -
which is why I suppose I cannot spell. In any case, spelling or locale,
I wasn't aware that I couldn't ask a question from this list which I
had found to be loaded with very smart people! I guess perhaps I'll
Google rather than bother this list. Sorry for wasting time.

Regards,
Erin
In the North-East USA there are numerous Co-operative Extension
Services..these are divisions of the state universities
agricutlural/horticultural colleges...their advise if for free...believe me
they have an excellent answer for you.....every state has one and most
states have local offices spread around the state....HW

Old 23-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
Whilst termites aren't exactly public enemy no. 1 here in the UK, this
thread reminds me of the immense concern caused by termite
infestations in properties in north Devon a few years back. It
shouldn't happen here because of our relatively cool climate.
However, with each summer proving to be marginally warmer than the
previous and almost every winter showing an increase in mean minimum
temperatures, termites will become a problem sooner or later. And a
serious one at that.

I'm not sure how effective the control program was, but there's no
certainty that they haven't managed to spread quietly. No
conventional insecticides available to the general public are
effective and even though the original colonies may have been
eradicated, there's a fair chance that more colonies will develop.
So, for the milder coastal regions at least, termites aren't or
shouldn't be a laughing matter.

As to folks from the US or anywhere else joining in is concerned, I'm
all for it. But, gardening problems in other countries are generally
outside the area of expertise for folks here and for us, pests like
gophers and raccoons do not exist. Even the significant variation in
climate types mean that cultivation techniques often differ by a huge
degree. There are vague similarities with the Pacific North West,
Tasmania and South Island, New Zealand, but that's as far as it goes.
Anyone joining in needs to understand this ... and a tiny minority of
folks here need to understand that unwelcoming attitudes towards
others serve no-one any good at all.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2C. Summer max 34C.
Growing season: March - November

Happy to say the termites have been officially declared eradicated on our
local news a week or two back :~)
and as an aside I don't care where anyone is posting from so long as they
make it clear (makes any suggestions pointless otherwise)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 24-04-2005, 03:08 AM
Alan Gabriel

wrote in message
oups.com...
Well....
I'm not sure how to take Homer's (spelling correct?) message....
However, I'm currently located in the northeastern part of the US -
which is why I suppose I cannot spell.

Ah. Two Great Nations divided by a common language. However, after change
the HDD and operating systems, my spellchecker wasn't working until today.

Snip I wasn't aware that I couldn't ask a question from this list which I
had found to be loaded with very smart people!

We are, we are. My reply was intended tongue in cheek as it has been a
standing joke since an extremely long tread about raccoons in the corn some
time ago.

I guess perhaps I'll
Google rather than bother this list. Sorry for wasting time.

Arhh, we'd miss you. We're generally a very helpful group as Dave Poole's
very informative reply verifies.

Just don't mention Raccoons !!!! ;o)