Old 24-04-2005, 03:06 PM
WRabbit

Default Vine Weevils?

On digging over a border yesterday I unearthed some white grubs with brown
heads. I thought they looked like nasties but wasn't sure, but after a
little work with Google vine weevils were high on the list of suspects. The
one doubt I had was that the grubs were longer (about 1" - 1.25" than the
stuff I was reading suggested.

I've just gone back to the bed and found what I suspect are the eggs - I'm
now convinced it is vine weevils. They are round 4-5mm balls with a brown
hard case and a soft white inside - and there are LOTS of them. I'm pretty
certain how they got in the bed as previously we've just used containers and
I emptied some old compost from containers into that bed to fill it up.

I've read about nematodes but it seems the wrong time of year to use them
anyway. I've got a bed that I had big plans for this year, and don't know
what to do now. Do I abandon it for the year and use the nematodes in
autumn?

The strange thing is all my containers seem pretty healthy. Although
thinking back on it last summer some of my fushias and busy lizzies were
eaten through just where the plants meet the soil. I blamed the slugs -
could it have been vine weevils?

I'm also worried about my fledgling compost heap as I put the old bedding
plants from last summer into it.

Someone tell me to get a sense of perspective please and that I'm over
reacting! I've got a load of bedding plants about to arrive and a cold
frame full of dahlias, and I'm in a bit of a panic.

--
WRabbit
Follow spamtrap instructions to reply

Old 24-04-2005, 06:36 PM
Kay

In article , WRabbit thewrabbit@replace
invalidwithcomgmail.invalid writes

The strange thing is all my containers seem pretty healthy. Although
thinking back on it last summer some of my fushias and busy lizzies were
eaten through just where the plants meet the soil. I blamed the slugs -
could it have been vine weevils?

If the roots have been eaten at soil level, it's vine weevils, if the
top growth has been eaten at soil level, it's slugs.

--
Kay

Old 24-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Paul Luton

In message
"WRabbit" wrote:

On digging over a border yesterday I unearthed some white grubs with brown
heads. I thought they looked like nasties but wasn't sure, but after a
little work with Google vine weevils were high on the list of suspects. The
one doubt I had was that the grubs were longer (about 1" - 1.25" than the
stuff I was reading suggested.

This does sound too long. Anyway vine weevils don't seem to cause nearly as
much damage in the garden as they do in pots.

I've just gone back to the bed and found what I suspect are the eggs - I'm
now convinced it is vine weevils. They are round 4-5mm balls with a brown
hard case and a soft white inside - and there are LOTS of them.

Probably slow release fertiliser.

Don't panic.

Regards Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames
Old 24-04-2005, 11:32 PM
nambucca

"WRabbit" wrote in message
[...]

Water the entire plot with a solution of Armillotox every 10 days that will
deal with the problem
Dig and remove the majority first

Old 24-04-2005, 11:37 PM
nambucca

"WRabbit" wrote in message
[...]

Actually if the grubs are 1" to 1.25" long they are more likely to be chafer
grubs nasty too ..............or the larvae of stag beetles which are
beneficial

Old 25-04-2005, 12:53 PM
WRabbit

"Kay" wrote in message
If the roots have been eaten at soil level, it's vine weevils, if the
top growth has been eaten at soil level, it's slugs.

TBH I can't remember how it was, but I'll be keeping a watch this year.

Old 25-04-2005, 12:56 PM
WRabbit

"Paul Luton" wrote in message
In message
"WRabbit" wrote:

On digging over a border yesterday I unearthed some white grubs with

brown
heads. I thought they looked like nasties but wasn't sure, but after a
little work with Google vine weevils were high on the list of suspects.

The
one doubt I had was that the grubs were longer (about 1" - 1.25" than

the
stuff I was reading suggested.

This does sound too long. Anyway vine weevils don't seem to cause nearly

as
much damage in the garden as they do in pots.

That's what I thought. I guess the only answer is to go out and hunt for
them and take a photo. I can't believe I'm going to go bug hunting with a
digital camera. I must be mad

I've just gone back to the bed and found what I suspect are the eggs -

I'm
now convinced it is vine weevils. They are round 4-5mm balls with a

brown
hard case and a soft white inside - and there are LOTS of them.

Probably slow release fertiliser.

Not used any myself. That's not to say I didn't buy a plant that had some
in it. Again photos to follow.

Don't panic.

I did see Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy yesterday...

Old 25-04-2005, 01:02 PM
WRabbit

"nambucca" wrote in message
Actually if the grubs are 1" to 1.25" long they are more likely to be

chafer
grubs nasty too ..............or the larvae of stag beetles which are
beneficial

Yes - photos will follow. I'm going bug hunting this evening. Here's
hoping it's stag beetles (in that case I'll feel guilty about feeding them
to the birds), but they didn't look as fat as that, or as yellowy.

As for Armillotox - I'm going to pick some up just in case. Will garden
centres/DIY sheds carry it? I read on their website that it isn't
'officially' a pesticide in Europe, but I presume you can still pick it up
easily enough at the usual places.

This gardening lark is much more complicated than I thought. Got to be a
botanist/entomologist/chemist.

Old 25-04-2005, 08:02 PM
WRabbit

Have now been out and taken photos of my mystery insects - little blighter
wouldn't stay still!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/Insect01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/Insect02.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/Insect03.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/Insect04.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/Insect05.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/Insect06.jpg

Thanks for all the thoughts so far.

Old 25-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Kay

In article , WRabbit thewrabbit@replace
invalidwithcomgmail.invalid writes
Have now been out and taken photos of my mystery insects - little blighter
wouldn't stay still!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/Insect01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/Insect02.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/Insect03.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/Insect04.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/Insect05.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/Insect06.jpg

Thanks for all the thoughts so far.

That's not a vine weevil!
--
Kay

Old 26-04-2005, 01:28 AM
nambucca

"WRabbit" wrote in message
Have now been out and taken photos of my mystery insects - little blighter
wouldn't stay still!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/Insect01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/Insect02.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/Insect03.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/Insect04.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/Insect05.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t/Insect06.jpg

Thanks for all the thoughts so far.

--
WRabbit
Follow spamtrap instructions to reply

Definitely not vine weevils ........more like caterpillars

Old 26-04-2005, 07:15 PM
nambucca

"WRabbit" wrote in message
Kay wrote:
In article , WRabbit
thewrabbit@replace invalidwithcomgmail.invalid writes
Have now been out and taken photos of my mystery insects - little
blighter wouldn't stay still!

snip

Thanks for all the thoughts so far.

That's not a vine weevil!

Well that's good (I'd sort of sussed that after looking at it closely and
taking photos).

Question is what is it?

Do you get caterpillars in the soil - I've only seem them on plants

before?
Is it good or bad - do I squish or leave?

--
WRabbit
Follow spamtrap instructions to reply

the Chrysalis of moths or butterflies are often found in the soil and the
caterpillar is simply the first step to becoming a moth or a buterfly
Dont squish it /////////plant Buddleas instead and watch the beauty flap

its wings later in the year

Old 28-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Mike Lyle

Warwick wrote:
[...]
My one from last year is more evil looking than yours.

http://www.affordable-afpers.co.uk/g...iew_photo.php?
set_albumName=erm&id=bug002

Sadly, I couldn't ID that one either.

The site denied me access.