Old 26-04-2005, 04:19 PM
Tumbleweed

Default Spiders

"ForeverArsenal" wrote in message
Hi
Wonder if someone can advise please.
Lean -to greenhouse in full flow at the moment.

Up one corner I have a sieve which I've just discovered is home
to a few hundred tiny-tiny mustard coloured spiders ,is this
the norm for babies spiders or do I have a greenhouse nasty
that needs sorting.

That is the norm for spiders, eggs laid in one place, babies hatch then
disperse.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 26-04-2005, 08:29 PM
Kay

In article ,
ForeverArsenal writes
Thanks for that ,never seen them like that before.
Are they normally mustard colour when very young ?

There's lots of different species of spider!
--
Kay

Old 27-04-2005, 01:12 AM
Tumbleweed

"Kay" wrote in message
In article ,
ForeverArsenal writes
Thanks for that ,never seen them like that before.
Are they normally mustard colour when very young ?

There's lots of different species of spider!

your common garden spider that has a thick body and short legs,and builds
'classic' webs, is mustard coloured but as the lady says, there must be
thousands of species.

And its very common for all the baby spiders to hatch out together, if they
are quite newly hatched and you knock the nest or near them they will scurry
back together to form a tight ball.

Old 27-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Spider

ForeverArsenal wrote in message
Hi
Wonder if someone can advise please.
Lean -to greenhouse in full flow at the moment.

Up one corner I have a sieve which I've just discovered is home
to a few hundred tiny-tiny mustard coloured spiders ,is this
the norm for babies spiders or do I have a greenhouse nasty
that needs sorting.

Many thanks.
--
Barry.
If it ain't broke-don't fix it.

Hi Barry,

The spiderlings of Araneus diadematus (aka the Garden Cross Spider) are
yellow with a black triangular marking on the rear third of its abdomen.
They generally hatch and disperse around April.

Another spider which likes high corners in outbuildings is Pholcus
phalangioides. However, I think their season is a bit later - although that
could vary in a warmish greenhouse. Their abdomen is more tubular than A.
diadematus and usually brown or grey, but I think there are regional
variations.

Another spider of human habitation is zygiella x-notata, but it isn't
mustard-coloured.

Another possibility might be Tegenaria gigantea (or its close relation), but
'mustard' would not be my description. It can be grey/brown or
golden-brown, both with a darker 'chevron' pattern.

A. diadematus and Z x-notata are both orb web weavers.
P. phalangiodes builds a large, random web in high corners.
T. gigantea (et al) build sheet webs across corners (or other structures)
with a tubular retreat.
However, they all construct balls or occasionally tethered mounds of silk
for egg sac protection, which is obviously what you've seen.

Please, please don't use chemicals and risk harming them. Let's face it,
you've got a great biological control for insect pests already. Enjoy them.

Spider

Old 27-04-2005, 06:21 PM
ForeverArsenal

Spider" wrote in message
ForeverArsenal wrote in message
Hi
Wonder if someone can advise please.
Lean -to greenhouse in full flow at the moment.

Up one corner I have a sieve which I've just discovered is home
to a few hundred tiny-tiny mustard coloured spiders ,is this
the norm for babies spiders or do I have a greenhouse nasty
that needs sorting.

Many thanks.
--
Barry.
If it ain't broke-don't fix it.

Hi Barry,

The spiderlings of Araneus diadematus (aka the Garden Cross Spider) are
yellow with a black triangular marking on the rear third of its abdomen.
They generally hatch and disperse around April.

Hi Spider and all others who replied thank you all.

Many thanks for the info,spiders to small to see any markings.
Lots of them tho.

Barry.
If it ain't broke-don't fix it.
"

Old 28-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Registered User

I saw the biggest spider I've ever seen in the UK in the garden on Saturday. It was just enormous - great fat body and thick legs, I could practically see the blood lust glinting in his/her eye....

It was about the size of a large wooden spoon head and was hiding under a pot. A pot I rather quickly put back down....

Spiders Tom Kirkpatrick Lawns 2 28-03-2003 04:44 AM
[IBC] scales (was:Killing little white spiders?) Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 15 31-01-2003 10:58 PM
[IBC] Killing little white spiders? Dave Stegink Bonsai 3 31-01-2003 05:49 PM
[IBC] **** [IBC] scales (was:Killing little white spiders?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 31-01-2003 04:43 PM
Gardening & Spiders subbykins{Chrd} United Kingdom 14 15-11-2002 09:59 PM