Old 09-06-2003, 10:44 PM
MOO112

Default sickly looking habanero

Hello,

I have written in the past about my back porch habanero pepper plant.
It has quite a bit of powdery mildew, and about 10 days ago I bought
some fungus control spray that is supposed to control future attacks.
It's hard to tell if the stuff has been effective, with only two
treatments in 8 days (every seven days it gets treated). Anyway, the
whole plant has seemed lethargic for several months now. Maybe it's
the mildew or something else. The leaves are less profuse than last
year, with the majority of the tips turning brown. And right now,
there are no peppers, and my neighbor's is loaded. The 2 and 1/2 year
old plant is about 2 feet tall, and rests in a huge pot thats about
16" deep, full of regular potting mix. It sits on the back porch,
where it gets to about 90 degrees in the day, and around 70 at night.
It gets direct sunlight in the afternoon hours, probably about 4 hours
or so total a day. I water it every couple of days, and I'm wondering
if the root system is too shallow to grab the water, as the soil is
16" deep. It gets some Miracle Grow once a month. I haven't churned up
the soil or otherwise aeriated it since it's been in the big pot,
probably about a year. Any doctoring ideas will be welcome.

Thanks,

Moo
Old 09-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Adam Schwartz

"MOO112" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I was under the impression that Habaneros are annuals. Where do you live?
I don't know, but they may only be productive for one or to years, if they
survive that long.

-Adam

Old 10-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Dave Fouchey

If he is far enough south they can be a tender perennial. I had
various chilies that grew year after year in a protected spot in
Jacksonville, Florida. Stems got over an Inch in diameter and produced
prolifically. Piquins in particular.

Dave

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 22:55:21 GMT, "Adam Schwartz"
wrote:

"MOO112" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR
http://photos.yahoo.com/davefouchey
Southeastern Lower Michigan
42° 35' 20'' N,
82° 58' 37'' W
GMT Offset: -5
Time Zone: Eastern
Old 10-06-2003, 02:44 AM
--Bill--

Dave Fouchey wrote:
If he is far enough south they can be a tender perennial. I had
various chilies that grew year after year in a protected spot in
Jacksonville, Florida. Stems got over an Inch in diameter and produced
prolifically. Piquins in particular.

Dave

Ditto on that. Here in PR the piquins grow into nice little permanent
shrubs.
I had a habanero plant that kept growing and got quite large. However,
the habanero peppers (not the piquins) lost all of their fire and the
plant looked really scraggly anyway so I reclaimed its space. Its rare
here to find 'hot' habaneros because most of the locals selling to the
supermarket are harvesting off of such plants.
-Bill

Old 10-06-2003, 12:32 PM
MOO112

I reside in Central Florida about a block west of the Atlantic. Any
ideas on how to revitalize ol' Habby? Maybe some of Granny's
"rhumitiz" medicine.

Moo

Old 11-06-2003, 01:20 AM
MOO112

More info: this evening I discovered that about 500 or so ants have
moved into the habenero pot. This is probably not the ideal situation.
Is it time for a good old fashioned re-pot?
Old 11-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Gary Flynn

MOO112 wrote:
More info: this evening I discovered that about 500 or so ants have
moved into the habenero pot. This is probably not the ideal situation.
Is it time for a good old fashioned re-pot?

I think its time to get a new plant.

Old 11-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Old 12-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Dave Fouchey

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 21:36:51 -0400, --Bill--
wrote:

Dave Fouchey wrote:
If he is far enough south they can be a tender perennial. I had
various chilies that grew year after year in a protected spot in
Jacksonville, Florida. Stems got over an Inch in diameter and produced
prolifically. Piquins in particular.

Dave

Ditto on that. Here in PR the piquins grow into nice little permanent
shrubs.
I had a habanero plant that kept growing and got quite large. However,
the habanero peppers (not the piquins) lost all of their fire and the
plant looked really scraggly anyway so I reclaimed its space. Its rare
here to find 'hot' habaneros because most of the locals selling to the
supermarket are harvesting off of such plants.
-Bill

Hmm haven't had that happen but then I don't live in Florida any more
so can't quite experiment! G

Dave
Old 12-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Dave Fouchey

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 18:58:18 -0400, --- Bill --- wrote:

Gary Flynn wrote:
MOO112 wrote:

More info: this evening I discovered that about 500 or so ants have
moved into the habenero pot. This is probably not the ideal situation.
Is it time for a good old fashioned re-pot?

I think its time to get a new plant.

As per a previous post I don't like "old" hab plants so I'd tend to do
away with it unless its actually performing.

If it is that sickly I too would chuck it and start over.

However, here in PR where we are plagued with fire ants, a bit of
pancake syrup+boric acid mix nearby or even on the pot soil will usually
take care of the ant farm within a few days.
-Bill

Oh if only that worked in the yard.......

Old 12-06-2003, 12:56 AM
--Bill--

Dave Fouchey wrote:

Oh if only that worked in the yard.......

It does...to a degree.
But to rid your own yard of fire ants isn't a permanent solution...you
have to rid the whole COMMUNITY of them!
There have been some very successful tests done in various cities but
its an ongoing control thing rather than a magic bullet.

-Bill

Old 12-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Dave Fouchey

Unfortunately Bill I am all TOO familiar with the problems attendant
fire ant control...

Just glad they don't like OUR cold weather HERE in Michigan!

(Moved back here three years ago from Jax. FL)

Dave

Old 12-06-2003, 02:44 PM
MOO112

Under normal circumstances, I would have transplanted the habenero
into the yard somewhere, and let nature run it's course, good or bad.
However, the plant was a gift and has great sentimental value. This is
the reason I am trying to revive it. Unless this is the natural path
this species takes, I am going to try to restore it's previous health.
On a side note, the ants didn't like the watering the other day, and
packed up. Where they went is another question.

Thanks,

Moo
Old 12-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Gary Flynn

MOO112 wrote:
Under normal circumstances, I would have transplanted the habenero
into the yard somewhere, and let nature run it's course, good or bad.
However, the plant was a gift and has great sentimental value. This is
the reason I am trying to revive it.

Ah. How about planting one or more of its seeds? The "children and
decendants" can keep the memory alive.