Old 03-02-2003, 05:38 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Ginger?

I have some pieces of ginger which are beginning to sprout.

Can I plant them in the ground and expect them to grow?

How, when, and in what should I plant them?

Alan

Old 03-02-2003, 05:55 PM

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 17:38:47 -0000, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

I have some pieces of ginger which are beginning to sprout.

Can I plant them in the ground and expect them to grow?

How, when, and in what should I plant them?

Alan

Don't think you could expect them to grow outside in the UK. Some
people grow pot plants from pieces of ginger but I seem to remember
folks saying its a boring plant. Diana

Old 03-02-2003, 06:53 PM
Alan Holmes

wrote:

I have some pieces of ginger which are beginning to sprout.

Can I plant them in the ground and expect them to grow?

How, when, and in what should I plant them?

Don't think you could expect them to grow outside in the UK. Some
people grow pot plants from pieces of ginger but I seem to remember
folks saying its a boring plant. Diana

Blimy that was quick, I'd just posted it and downloaded the newsgroup
and there was this!

Haven't you got anything better to do with your time?(:-)

Alan

Old 03-02-2003, 08:23 PM
Martin Sykes

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I have some pieces of ginger which are beginning to sprout.

Can I plant them in the ground and expect them to grow?

I had some planted outside as a test last year. They sprouted but were a bit
slow. I moved them into a pot in the greenhouse and they grew much faster as
you'ld expect. They are very boring to look at - just stems with grass-like
leaves. Apparently the flowers aren't much to look at either. I'm keeping
mine in the greehouse though so I can harvest it.

Martin.

Old 04-02-2003, 01:07 AM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 22:13:57 -0000, "cpemma"
wrote:

That said, it seems a good way to store it, buried in moist compost, if
you don't use it often

Cool tip - I'm always ending up with dried up bits of ginger hanging
about the larder, and am rarely organised enough to go buy fresh
supplies when I need it.
I'll give it a try.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Ginger bucket Stephen Wolstenholme United Kingdom 6 02-05-2009 11:48 PM
Ginger, glorious ginger Zemedelec Gardening 3 17-11-2003 01:02 AM
Ginger Variations augie Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
ginger IC_Gardener Edible Gardening 4 14-03-2003 01:56 PM
Ginger? Al Gardening 9 06-02-2003 03:39 AM