Old 03-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Graeme

Default Mixing tomatoes with other plants

Hi,

I have a small garden so I am looking for ways to fit as many plants
together, but still want to give each plant what it needs. I have grown a
few tomato plants this year (Money Maker) and I am looking to now plant them
out. I have purchased 2 raised beds for 6 tomato plants, giving each plant
30cm of space as suggested.

I am wondering if it would do any harm to them if I also plant some
"Petunia - Easy Wave" plants in the same beds under the tomatoes. These are
trailing flowers so won't become tall or block light from the tomatoes. I
know they won't complement each like tomatoes and say carrots would but I
just want to make sure they won't do each other any harm.

Best Wishes,

Graeme

Old 03-05-2005, 05:21 PM
Derryl

On Tue, 3 May 2005 16:21:16 +0100, "Graeme"
wrote:

Hi Graeme

Plant your petunias with your tomatoes. The tomatoes will grow with
no problems.

Derryl

Old 03-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Graeme" contains these words:

I have a small garden so I am looking for ways to fit as many plants
together, but still want to give each plant what it needs. I have grown a
few tomato plants this year (Money Maker) and I am looking to now
plant them
out. I have purchased 2 raised beds for 6 tomato plants, giving each plant
30cm of space as suggested.

I am wondering if it would do any harm to them if I also plant some
"Petunia - Easy Wave" plants in the same beds under the tomatoes.
These are
trailing flowers so won't become tall or block light from the tomatoes. I
know they won't complement each like tomatoes and say carrots would but I
just want to make sure they won't do each other any harm.

No idea about petunias. I used to grow radishes and strawberries under
my tomatoes.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 03-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Graeme
writes
Hi,

I have a small garden so I am looking for ways to fit as many plants
together, but still want to give each plant what it needs. I have grown a
few tomato plants this year (Money Maker) and I am looking to now plant them
out. I have purchased 2 raised beds for 6 tomato plants, giving each plant
30cm of space as suggested.

I am wondering if it would do any harm to them if I also plant some
"Petunia - Easy Wave" plants in the same beds under the tomatoes. These are
trailing flowers so won't become tall or block light from the tomatoes. I
know they won't complement each like tomatoes and say carrots would but I
just want to make sure they won't do each other any harm.

They are not likely to cross-pollinate, but few plants like being
crowded too closely, especially heavy producers like tomatoes, so give
them whatever space you can.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Spider

Graeme wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Hi Graeme,

I don't know for sure that there would be a problem with Petunias, but I
believe Petunias are in the same family as tomatoes, i.e. Solanacea. They
would both, therefore, be competing for the same nutrients, so you would
have to keep up with feeding. It is possible that they share some of the
same diseases, but having never grown the two together I can't be certain.
I've never heard of Petunias getting blight though, which would be the main
worry. I wonder if another urgler could answer this?

Spider