Old 12-05-2005, 01:32 PM
BAC

"bigboard" wrote in message
BAC wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in

message
k...
The message
from Jupiter contains these words:

Assuming he meant The Netherlands and not East Anglia?

Is Lincolnshire (Lindsey, Kesteven and Holland) in East Anglia?

Dunno, but there's a Holland in Essex, between Clacton and Frinton.

Next question, is all of Essex classed as East Anglia?

I think it was historically. Parts of it are now part of Greater London.

However, I have disowned all of Essex south of Chelmsford, and am

currently
fighting as part of a revolutionary cell to win independence for North
Essex. Most of us in the North of the county usually reply rather vaguely
when asked where we are from as being from "the Essex/Suffolk borders".
North and south Essex are as alike as Glasgow and Kuala Lumpur.

So to stop ranting and answer your question: No, but part of it is!

What about the 'Holland' area - I haven't looked it up, but, from memory,
isn't it a little on the south side?

Old 12-05-2005, 02:21 PM
bigboard

BAC wrote:

What about the 'Holland' area - I haven't looked it up, but, from memory,
isn't it a little on the south side?

No, it's north of Chelmsford. Don't know it personally, but I spent many
happy childhood days on that bit of coast.

--
Alimony is a system by which, when two people make a mistake, one of
them keeps paying for it.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:51 PM
BAC

"bigboard" wrote in message
BAC wrote:

What about the 'Holland' area - I haven't looked it up, but, from

memory,
isn't it a little on the south side?

No, it's north of Chelmsford. Don't know it personally, but I spent many
happy childhood days on that bit of coast.

Right, I must have been mistaking Frinton with Clacton, or something :-)

Old 12-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Derek Turner somewhat@odds contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

I believe you are correct - you have to be able to show that you've
tried to discourage them until you're at your wit's end, now you come to
mention it.

quite incorrect. general licence to shoot any time of year as an
agricultural pest. health hazzaed irrelevant. you don't personally have
to show that you've tried everything else: everything else has been
tried - and failed - for very many years.

The local Head Keeper was commenting on this quite recently.

typical 'they are all out to get us' mentality and quite untrue (and I'm
an active beater and game-shot)

I was referring to 'driving the bureaucracy properly' rather than a
health-hazard - should have made that plain.

Nor do I expect many pigeon shooters to take too much notice of the
ludicrous new regulations - but that doesn't mean they're not there.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 12-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "BAC" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from Jupiter contains these words:

Assuming he meant The Netherlands and not East Anglia?

Is Lincolnshire (Lindsey, Kesteven and Holland) in East Anglia?

Dunno, but there's a Holland in Essex, between Clacton and Frinton.

Next question, is all of Essex classed as East Anglia?

Depends on whom you ask...

Old 12-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

What about the 'Holland' area - I haven't looked it up, but, from memory,
isn't it a little on the south side?

Nah. Swim up the coast a bit and you're in Suffolk.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:44 PM
bigboard

BAC wrote:

"bigboard" wrote in message
BAC wrote:

What about the 'Holland' area - I haven't looked it up, but, from

memory,
isn't it a little on the south side?

No, it's north of Chelmsford. Don't know it personally, but I spent many
happy childhood days on that bit of coast.

Right, I must have been mistaking Frinton with Clacton, or something :-)

Easily done! If the average age of those around you is greater than 80, then
you're in Frinton.

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.
-- E. Rutherford

Old 12-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Harold Walker

"Tone" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 May 2005 04:04:37 -0400, "Harold Walker"
wrote:

"Derek Turner" somewhat@odds wrote in message
batgirl wrote:
I think you are the verminous one. How utterly vile. What are the
creatures doing to deserve death? What kind of a world do we live in
where we blast something we don't like into smithereens? You are the
keeper of a small part of this beautiful earth, please treat everything
in it with respect.

but clare, we DO like them! they are very tasty, blasting them to
smithereens would make them inedible so we don't do it (and air weapons
must have come on a long way if they are capable of it anyway). Do grow
up, there's a good girl.

My .177 pellet air gun does a fine job at 1000feet per second
velocity....

1000Fps ???

At 12ft/lbs ???
What airgun is that then ?????

A Gammo...made in Spain....does a super job....accurate as all can be...HW

Just livin the Vida Sofa

Old 12-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Harold Walker

"ZoeM" wrote in message

Derek Turner Wrote:
batgirl wrote:-
I think you are the verminous one. How utterly vile. What are the
creatures
doing to deserve death? What kind of a world do we live in where we
blast
something we don't like into smithereens? You are the keeper of a
small part
of this beautiful earth, please treat everything in it with respect.-

but clare, we DO like them! they are very tasty, blasting them to
smithereens would make them inedible so we don't do it (and air
weapons
must have come on a long way if they are capable of it anyway). Do
grow
up, there's a good girl.

I agree with Clare entirely. There is absolutely no need to shoot
squirrels and wood pigeons for the sake of garden plants. I'm not a
tree-hugging, knit your own muesli, animal activist - but I think you
need to get a sense of perspective here.

Zoe

Is there any need to kill off hens and pigs and cows etc. just to satisfy
the bellies of humans...why not go vegetarian?..HW --
ZoeM

Old 12-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
ZoeM wrote:

I agree with Clare entirely. There is absolutely no need to shoot
squirrels and wood pigeons for the sake of garden plants. I'm not a
tree-hugging, knit your own muesli, animal activist - but I think you
need to get a sense of perspective here.

Well, I am into all three - and there is. Of course, I am happy to
accept the viewpoint is that we should be reintroducing and encouraging
more predators, avian and mammalian, to control our pest species.
Unfortunately, I can't think of anything that preys on motorists, but
a good use of genetic modification would be to develop something.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Harold Walker wrote:

My .177 pellet air gun does a fine job at 1000feet per second
velocity....

1000Fps ???

At 12ft/lbs ???
What airgun is that then ?????

A Gammo...made in Spain....does a super job....accurate as all can be...HW

I think that you should rerear your own post, and recheck both your
facts and the speed of sound at sea level. Our Tone seems to be a
bit more on the ball than the other Tone we keep hearing about - and
from :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Harold Walker

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

What about the 'Holland' area - I haven't looked it up, but, from memory,
isn't it a little on the south side?

Nah. Swim up the coast a bit and you're in Suffolk.

Swim up a bit further and you are in God's country.....Yorkshire

Old 12-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Harold Walker

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Harold Walker wrote:

My .177 pellet air gun does a fine job at 1000feet per second
velocity....

1000Fps ???

At 12ft/lbs ???
What airgun is that then ?????

A Gammo...made in Spain....does a super job....accurate as all can be...HW

I think that you should rerear your own post, and recheck both your
facts and the speed of sound at sea level. Our Tone seems to be a
bit more on the ball than the other Tone we keep hearing about - and
from :-(

1000 fps is correct

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Harold Walker

ZoeM wrote:

I agree with Clare entirely. There is absolutely no need to shoot
squirrels and wood pigeons for the sake of garden plants. I'm not a
tree-hugging, knit your own muesli, animal activist - but I think you
need to get a sense of perspective here.

Well, I am into all three - and there is. Of course, I am happy to
accept the viewpoint is that we should be reintroducing and encouraging
more predators, avian and mammalian, to control our pest species.
Unfortunately, I can't think of anything that preys on motorists, but
a good use of genetic modification would be to develop something.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Salt in the gasoline tank...HW