Old 19-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Colin Bearfield

You are all very kind people; a credit to any news group. Please keep
up the good work.

As for elucidating. I don't truly like gardening, too lazy, but I am
seduced by the admiration and compliments following my giant
decoratives. So, in the spirit of house work getting done I dive in
at Springtime and freshen up the borders. The locals swear that I know
what I'm doing but I just wait and see what happens.

Therefore the job was just turning over heavy soil and bashing it into
submission for planting. We are now committed for the season. Lots
and lots of colourful bedding plants that might, or not, do well.

Thanks again.

Colin

On Sat, 14 May 2005 17:18:56 GMT, Derryl wrote:

Hi Colin

If you have a heavy clay soil grit will turn it into concrete and be
very hard to work. Add Peat or compost. Get someone to rotovate it.

Derryl

I am newly retired and I am finding the soil in my back garden too
heavy to work. I am now racked with pain. Planting is ok, but working
the soil is too much.

One solution would be to get someone in to break up the soil each
Spring but I have just read that grit would be a solution but I wonder
where to get it. I think I would need too much for it to come in bags
at a reasonable price.

I live near South West Manchester. Could anyone advise me on how and
where to get grit and how much it costs?

Best wishes

Colin

What to do with heavy soil.. Ivan Gardening 8 21-08-2008 05:46 AM
[IBC] Making your own soil? (light vs heavy) Pat Patterson Bonsai 3 20-04-2004 09:02 AM
Vegetables in heavy soil Jonathan Culver United Kingdom 9 18-04-2004 02:29 AM
heavy clay soil aj United Kingdom 3 26-05-2003 09:44 PM
What can I do with heavy water logged soil? KW United Kingdom 9 12-03-2003 08:02 PM