Old 14-05-2005, 04:37 PM
datsy

Default mint

Last year I posted a message about my beautiful, non-invasive clump of mint
which attracted dozens of butterflies. Since then I have moved and now find
bits of mint growing all over the garden - I see what everybody meant about
it taking over the garden!!

Old 14-05-2005, 09:57 PM
davek

"datsy" wrote in message

Last year I posted a message about my beautiful, non-invasive clump of
mint which attracted dozens of butterflies. Since then I have moved and
now find bits of mint growing all over the garden - I see what everybody
meant about it taking over the garden!!

So it does. Incidentally, if you raise various varieties of mint in a pot or
planter they all end up with the scent and flavour of the strongest. (Not a
lot of people know that)
;-)
DaveK.

Old 16-05-2005, 11:07 AM
mike. buckley

In message , davek
writes

"datsy" wrote in message

Last year I posted a message about my beautiful, non-invasive clump of
mint which attracted dozens of butterflies. Since then I have moved and
now find bits of mint growing all over the garden - I see what everybody
meant about it taking over the garden!!

So it does. Incidentally, if you raise various varieties of mint in a pot or
planter they all end up with the scent and flavour of the strongest. (Not a
lot of people know that)
;-)
DaveK.

Anybody got any use for Spearmint? I know that regular mint tastes great
on lamb :-), but I have loads of spearmint (kept for the scent) and
can't find any uses for it?

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
Old 16-05-2005, 12:18 PM
pammyT

mike. buckley wrote:
In message , davek
writes

"datsy" wrote in message

Last year I posted a message about my beautiful, non-invasive clump
of mint which attracted dozens of butterflies. Since then I have
moved and now find bits of mint growing all over the garden - I see
what everybody meant about it taking over the garden!!

So it does. Incidentally, if you raise various varieties of mint in
a pot or planter they all end up with the scent and flavour of the
strongest. (Not a lot of people know that)
;-)
DaveK.

Anybody got any use for Spearmint? I know that regular mint tastes
great on lamb :-), but I have loads of spearmint (kept for the scent)
and can't find any uses for it?

hang bunches in the home to deter flies. Put into your knicker drawer.
According to one of my herb books " spearmint is THE mint which is known to
every cook and housewife. Chopped leaves of spearmint are added to new
potatoes, green peas; put in summer wine cups;made into mint sauce and jelly
to eat with lamb. Fresh leaves can be mixed into potato salads, and added to
stuffings for poultry and rolled lamb. Spearmint added to mayonnaise for
seafoods adds a fresh summery taste".
Ordinary peppermint
"peppermint is NOT a culinary herb but one of the finest natural digestives
in existance.An infusion of peppermint tea will relieve indegestion and
digestive pains,is useful for morning sickness. Peppermint tea makes a
soothing bed time drink.
Other virtues, an infusion of peppermint and elderflowers and yarrow is
useful in cases of 'flu' and colds"
So there you have it. You have been using the wrong mint for your sauce.

--
purebred poultry
www.geocities.com/fenlandfowl

Old 16-05-2005, 02:38 PM
mike. buckley

In message , pammyT
writes
mike. buckley wrote:
[...]

Heresy! there is only one true mint sauce!

Ta for the other info though :-)

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2

Doug's mint - dougs-mint.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 06-08-2007 05:44 PM
Distilling Mint Nicholas Gardening 4 18-04-2003 04:44 PM
LINK-INDIA: Menthol mint... Frederick Noronha \(FN\) sci.agriculture 1 17-04-2003 12:56 AM
Purchasing Mint for garden. Texas Garden Edible Gardening 2 17-03-2003 11:56 PM
Penny Royal Mint dying off Michael Singmin Gardening 0 21-02-2003 08:27 AM