Old 14-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Joyce of Pendle

Default Bird's nest

A pair of blackbirds abandoned their nest in my garden during this
week's cold spell. Are they likely to come back to it? (I still see
them in the garden.) Should I remove the eggs?

Joyce of Pendle.

--
"The spear in the Other's heart is in your own: you are he." -- Surak
pendle atte boulsworth dotco_dotuk
Old 14-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Joyce of Pendle wrote:
A pair of blackbirds abandoned their nest in my garden during this
week's cold spell. Are they likely to come back to it? (I still see
them in the garden.) Should I remove the eggs?

Joyce of Pendle.

I doubt the cold snap was the reason, do you have any neighbouring cats?
Blackbirds are dedicated mothers and a cold snap would make her extra
careful about her brood. It is far more likely that something scared her
off - so much so, she may not return.

I would seek advice from a local expert (there is an RSPB reserve at
Southport (Marshside) which appears to be the closest to you - you could try
contacting them (01704 536378) - I wouldn't contact the RSPCA, I really
don't have any time for them at all; not since I worked there and they
euthanased three perfectly healthy dogs because they were "too old and
no-one would want them". There was absolutely nothing else wrong with them,
phyically they were in the peak of condition. I didn't find out until I
returned from holiday and a colleague told me what had happened - we /both/
quit that same day.)

Anyway, seek advice; my gut instincts tell me that, after a week, the eggs
would be dead. There is one other reason she could have abandoned them -
they could have been infertile. Very occasionally, for some reason, the
female isn't fertilised properly and she lays a clutch of infertile eggs. It
could be that this was one such occasion.

Just my 2p (ex VAT)'s worth... ;o)

Sarah

Old 17-05-2005, 02:34 PM
D Russell

Joyce of Pendle wrote:

A pair of blackbirds abandoned their nest in my garden during this
week's cold spell. Are they likely to come back to it? (I still see
them in the garden.) Should I remove the eggs?

Joyce of Pendle.

Isn't there a law protecting the eggs and nests of all wild birds in the
UK ? A law which I believe doesn't really allow you to do anything even if
it is perceived to be in the best interests of the nest, without some form
of authorisation or an authorised person.

Duncan

p.s. Having said that of course it didn't stop a local garden centre
applying for permission to destroy a robins nest because there was a risk
it, or it's chicks might fly over the cafe area and cause problems with the
food
We try not to shop in that GC anymore, dumb stupid people.