Old 14-05-2005, 11:43 PM
Sacha

Default Shrub ID please?

Today we were brought a branch of a shrub none of us know. The stems are
brown and very slightly mottled; the leaves were about 2" - 3" long, oval, a
fresh green and the flowers were in racemes about 3" long but blunt, not
tapered. The racemes are thin. The flowers were 5 petalled, cream going to
a very, very pale pink near the stem and very small, probably no bigger than
e.g. A forget me not. When the flowers die the stamens remain and are quite
prominent.
I took a couple of photographs I've sent to possible helpers but would be
glad of all ideas.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-05-2005, 07:06 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Today we were brought a branch of a shrub none of us know. The stems are
brown and very slightly mottled; the leaves were about 2" - 3" long, oval,

fresh green and the flowers were in racemes about 3" long but blunt, not
tapered. The racemes are thin. The flowers were 5 petalled, cream going

a very, very pale pink near the stem and very small, probably no bigger

than
e.g. A forget me not. When the flowers die the stamens remain and are

quite
prominent.
I took a couple of photographs I've sent to possible helpers but would be
glad of all ideas.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Are the leaves entire or pinnate?

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 15-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Sacha

On 15/5/05 7:06, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Today we were brought a branch of a shrub none of us know. The stems are
brown and very slightly mottled; the leaves were about 2" - 3" long, oval,

fresh green and the flowers were in racemes about 3" long but blunt, not
tapered. The racemes are thin. The flowers were 5 petalled, cream going

a very, very pale pink near the stem and very small, probably no bigger

than
e.g. A forget me not. When the flowers die the stamens remain and are

quite
prominent.
I took a couple of photographs I've sent to possible helpers but would be
glad of all ideas.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Are the leaves entire or pinnate?

Entire and serrated. I'll email you the pic.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I took a couple of photographs I've sent to possible helpers but would be
glad of all ideas.

If you haven't got a scanner, send me one and I'll scan it for you, and
either put it on my wibble, or e-mail it to you so you can put it on
yours.

--
Rusty
horrid dot squeak snailything zetnet point co stop uk
Old 16-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha
Today we were brought a branch of a shrub none of us know.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)
leaves alternate or opposite ?
if alternate sounds like Rosacea family
Old 16-05-2005, 01:30 AM
CK

Hi,
Could you send a picture to me please?
Regards,
CK
note: email address will need 'editing'

. uk...

Old 16-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Sacha

On 16/5/05 21:31, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 15/5/05 19:14, in article
, "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

It looks like a bird cherry, prunus padus ? there are several cultivars

Yes, the general consensus seems to be this is it. David Poole emailed me
with that answer today, too. I can't understand how it's unknown to all of
us but I don't think any of us is going to rush to plant it, either!

An interesting point. There seems to be almost a divide between
'gardeners' and 'wild flower lovers'. As a wild flower person, I am
often surprised by the lack of recognition of wild flowers by gardeners,
but I imagine all you gardeners in urg are equally astonished by my lack
of knowledge of garden flowers. Prunus padus is very much on the wild
flower side of the divide, so it is very possible that it has slipped
past your attention in the past.

That sounds like a good explanation, Kay. I expect to recognise some/most
wild plants but it's certainly possible that if something isn't of virtue
(apparently) to the gardener it won't be sold here and gardening types might
not have encountered it before elsewhere. However, urg has come up trumps
again and helped someone to identify yet another plant. Thank you and I'll
pass it on.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Dave Poole contains these words:

/bird cherry/

I can't understand how it's unknown to all of
us but I don't think any of us is going to rush to plant it, either!

I don't blame you - its a lot of space to devote to such a 'squinny'
thing. OK in a wildwood, but not in the garden.

I had one growing in one of my hedgerows when I had the smallholding,
and it began to show signs of dying. As it had a fine curved shape, and
I was restoring a flintlock plains rifle, I carefully dug it out and
sealed the cut roots and top, and stored it for several years in the
cart store. (New England guns were often stocked with cherry.)

When I judged it seasoned enough to cut it, I put it on the sawing horse
and cut it parallel with the axis with a ripsaw. __
(| )
¯¯
When the side separated, the reason why it was dying was revealed -
there was a big area of rot - and it wasn't possible to get a stock from
it, though it provided some nice wood for carving.

Anyone who's disposing of a fruit tree, especially one with a bend in
its trunk, please bear me in mind...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/