Old 20-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Registered User

Location: Manchester
Default Rejunvating straggly/floppy weigla

my weigla in the front garden has started to flower but problem is all growth is near the top and its flopping over and looking a bit of a mess. when the flowers are finished whats the best way to make it more of an upright shrub

cheers
Old 21-05-2005, 12:09 PM
Spider

--
Tiger303

Hi Tiger,

I've always just cut mine back *rather firmly*! They've always resprouted
well. If this sounds too drastic, just cut out a third of the older wood,
repeating each year until you've rejuvenated the whole bush. After pruning,
remember to feed and water well.

Spider

Old 23-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Registered User

I cut mine back hard and it grew back even more straggly and floppy. It looks such a mess (and the flowers are a horrible pinky-white, opening from clashing red buds) that I'm going to hoik it out and shred it.
__________________
Ornata, gardening in South London, UK
Old 31-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider
I've always just cut mine back *rather firmly*! They've always resprouted
well. If this sounds too drastic, just cut out a third of the older wood,
repeating each year until you've rejuvenated the whole bush. After pruning,
remember to feed and water well.
thanks spider just back off holiday and when u say rather firmly, do u mean cut to the lowest stem with leaves on (as on some woody stems this is more than half way up the branch), or a few inches from the ground? will cutting it right down just stimulate it to grow from base?

also excusing my igorance is bonemeal a high potash fertiliser as i gave it some back in April. is it best to feed it that again or something else

Straggly pansies - Dorset fimonkey United Kingdom 1 08-04-2010 11:09 AM
Floppy Crocus? Jim Lesurf United Kingdom 1 23-02-2005 11:29 AM
Floppy Mexican Sage Fleemo Gardening 0 19-11-2003 10:32 AM
Floppy Elephant Ears Leanne Australia 0 21-08-2003 01:32 PM
Iceberg and Fabulous are floppy JimS. Roses 5 23-06-2003 10:20 PM