Old 23-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Sacha

Default Bananas!

I'll now be told "Oh everyone knows that" but I've just read that bananas
aren't fruit, botanically they're berries! Well!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes

I'll now be told "Oh everyone knows that" but I've just read that bananas
aren't fruit, botanically they're berries! Well!

Isn't a berry botanically a fruit? Along with drupes, nuts and so on?

I wouldn't let it worry you. Different definitions apply according to
context. For culinary purposes, a banana can be either vegetable or
fruit.
--
Kay

Old 23-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Ford Prefect

On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:59:42 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

I'll now be told "Oh everyone knows that" but I've just read that bananas
aren't fruit, botanically they're berries! Well!

Isn't a berry botanically a fruit? Along with drupes, nuts and so on?

I wouldn't let it worry you. Different definitions apply according to
context. For culinary purposes, a banana can be either vegetable or
fruit.

I'd heard the banana was the largest herb.
Ford

Old 23-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Sacha

On 23/5/05 17:59, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

I'll now be told "Oh everyone knows that" but I've just read that bananas
aren't fruit, botanically they're berries! Well!

Isn't a berry botanically a fruit? Along with drupes, nuts and so on?

I wouldn't let it worry you. Different definitions apply according to
context. For culinary purposes, a banana can be either vegetable or
fruit.

It doesn't worry me but it did confuse me! Thanks to you and Dave.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I'll now be told "Oh everyone knows that" but I've just read that bananas
aren't fruit, botanically they're berries! Well!

Oh, everyone knows that!

All berries are fruit, but not all fruits are berries. Berries have the
seeds (viable or vestigial) enclosed in a succulent pericarp, so
(thinking about it) grapes and cucurbits should be berries, too.
thinks I wonder what a pomegranate is? /thinks

Plums, blackberries etc are not, they are drupes or aggregations
thereof, though the difference between a drupe (in the case of a plum)
and a berry escapes me, unless it's that the stone is more-or-less
attached to the stem.

function="dictionary"

"A fleshy fruit with a stone" - not a lot of help.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/