Old 24-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Chris Bacon

Default My funny foxglove.

A foxglove growing close to the stem of an old Wisteria has developed
a pecuiliar characteristic that I have not seen before. The leaves
and flower spike are normal with the exception that the flower spike
doesn't just get thinner and end in a point, it's got a rosette
sort of structure on top! Is this common? What is it for?
Old 24-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 24 May 2005 10:19:22 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

A foxglove growing close to the stem of an old Wisteria has developed
a pecuiliar characteristic that I have not seen before. The leaves
and flower spike are normal with the exception that the flower spike
doesn't just get thinner and end in a point, it's got a rosette
sort of structure on top! Is this common? What is it for?

I once had a similar thing happen some years ago. A normal foxglove
stem with normal flowers all the way up, but the top one was a round
flower (as you say, rosette) at the top. I learned that it is called
"fasciation" (as in the RHS link).
Looking at it a friend said "It's fascinated"! LOL

Pam in Bristol
Old 24-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

A foxglove growing close to the stem of an old Wisteria has developed
a pecuiliar characteristic that I have not seen before. The leaves
and flower spike are normal with the exception that the flower spike
doesn't just get thinner and end in a point, it's got a rosette
sort of structure on top! Is this common? What is it for?

I once had a similar thing happen some years ago. A normal foxglove
stem with normal flowers all the way up, but the top one was a round
flower (as you say, rosette) at the top. I learned that it is called
"fasciation" (as in the RHS link).
Looking at it a friend said "It's fascinated"! LOL

Pam in Bristol

A round flower on a foxglove is called a peloric flower. This is not
the same as fasciation.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 25-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Kay

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes

A round flower on a foxglove is called a peloric flower. This is not
the same as fasciation.

What causes it?
--
Kay

Old 25-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Kay
writes
In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes

A round flower on a foxglove is called a peloric flower. This is not
the same as fasciation.

What causes it?

It's a mutation - hence the ability to purchase seed of peloric strains
of foxgloves.

I don't know the details, but I believe it's a mutation in a floral
development gene. Googling finds a statement that the peloric phenotype
in Antirrhinum is caused by loss of function mutations in the CYCLOIDEA
and DICHOTOMA genes. Given that peloric flowers in foxgloves are often
terminal, rather than universal, I guess that the situtation in
foxgloves is morre complicated.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 25-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Brian

In message , Kay
writes
In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes

A round flower on a foxglove is called a peloric flower. This is not
the same as fasciation.

What causes it?

It's a mutation - hence the ability to purchase seed of peloric strains
of foxgloves.

I don't know the details, but I believe it's a mutation in a floral
development gene. Googling finds a statement that the peloric phenotype
in Antirrhinum is caused by loss of function mutations in the CYCLOIDEA
and DICHOTOMA genes. Given that peloric flowers in foxgloves are often
terminal, rather than universal, I guess that the situtation in
foxgloves is morre complicated.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

~~~~~~~~~~~#
Damage to the meristem from any one of numerous agents can be the primary
cause. In some instances this has been shown to be able to be inherited.
Stripes in tulips are viral in origin but thence inherited.
Best Wishes Brian

Old 29-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Chris Bacon

Brian wrote:
"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote...
Kay writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
A round flower on a foxglove is called a peloric flower. This is not
the same as fasciation.

What causes it?

It's a mutation - hence the ability to purchase seed of peloric strains
of foxgloves.

Damage to the meristem from any one of numerous agents can be the primary
cause. In some instances this has been shown to be able to be inherited.

This is all very interesting, and the plant itself is becoming more
interesting, too - I shall try and photograph it today. The original
sci-fi "head" has developed - but not into a single flower. The
"rosette" form *looked* like a slice through a wasps nest (if you
know what that's like!), a concave cup affair with "dead" arcs of
(?) showing. It looked most unlikely to flower, but now has - it's
a mass of light pink petals, like those of a dahlia, all coming out
mainly "forwards". The main stem looks normal enough, perhaps the
flowers are more closely spaced than normal - but there are several
more spikes developing, each with another funny looking thing on top!

I wonder, if I save some seed, whether any plants from it might be
the same?
Old 29-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Chris Bacon
writes
Brian wrote:
[...]

As all the spikes are behaving the same it seems likely that it's
genetic rather than environment, and therefore there's a fair chance
that if you sow seed from the plant at least some of the seedlings will
show the same trait.

This is not the regular form of peloric foxglove, where the terminal
flower is single. It might be a form of fasciation, or a form of double
flower.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 29-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

I wonder, if I save some seed, whether any plants from it might be
the same?

It's worth tryung. If the next generation is true too, there's a company
(I can't unforget which one, but someone here will know) which will take
on the marketing of anything new.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/