Old 03-03-2003, 07:52 PM
Margaret Paige

Default pachyphragus macrophylla

Help please,

This weekend I bought a smaal plant with tiny white flowers good for ground
cover if I remember correctly in the shade. I've searched my books and the
net, but can't find it. I discovered that macrophylla means "large leafed"
but what about the rest?
can anyone help
Margaret

PS I may have misspelt the name - I only have it handwritten by someone at
the garden centre.

Old 03-03-2003, 08:40 PM
Sue

"Margaret Paige" wrote
This weekend I bought a smaal plant with tiny white flowers good for
ground cover if I remember correctly in the shade. I've searched my books
and the net, but can't find it. I discovered that macrophylla means
"large leafed" but what about the rest?

Must be Pachyphragma macrophyllum (also known as Thlaspi macrophyllum). RHS
Plants and Flowers says it's a creeping, mat-forming perennial with glossy
bright green leaves, racemes of tiny white flowers in spring, and needs a
moist soil in sun or partial shade. H to 30cm, spread indefinite.

Sue

Old 04-03-2003, 04:45 AM
Hussein M.

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 20:40:50 -0000, "Sue"
wrote:

Must be Pachyphragma macrophyllum (also known as Thlaspi macrophyllum). RHS
Plants and Flowers says it's a creeping, mat-forming perennial with glossy
bright green leaves, racemes of tiny white flowers in spring, and needs a
moist soil in sun or partial shade. H to 30cm, spread indefinite.

Yes, the misspelling has probably caused the OP difficulty in
finding info on it.

Google images only finds one graphic - a plant portrait produced by
that doyen of British Horticulture - Beth Chatto (doesn't she write
well?)

http://www.bethchatto.co.uk/plant%20...crophylla.html

It's not actually as good as one I found with Google WWW :-

http://www.nuthatchgarden.supanet.com/plants25/

Funnily enough I have only just sown some seeds of it myself.

Hussein
"For of all gainful professions, nothing
is better, nothing more pleasing,
nothing more delightful, nothing better
becomes a well-bred man than
agriculture"

$$$$$$ Cicero $$$$$$
Old 04-03-2003, 04:50 AM
Hussein M.

wrote:

Must be Pachyphragma macrophyllum

Oh and if you want to know more about it:

this is from PAF:

Cultivation:
An excellent weed-smothering ground cover plant for shady areas[200].
The plants have persistent basal rosettes but only achieve full ground
cover from mid or late spring until early winter each year[200].

Propagation:
An excellent weed-smothering ground cover plant for shady areas[200].
The plants have persistent basal rosettes but only achieve full ground
cover from mid or late spring until early winter each year[200].

Uses:

Old 04-03-2003, 07:37 AM
Martin Sykes

"Hussein M." wrote in message
It's not actually as good as one I found with Google WWW :-

http://www.nuthatchgarden.supanet.com/plants25/

Found this one as well with altavista. Links to a larger picture.

http://www.hardy-plant.org.uk/pomarc...00pomapril.htm

Martin

Old 04-03-2003, 09:59 AM
papa

apparently also known at one stage as Cardamine asarifolia. sounds like a
rather confused little plant to me.. :-)

" "Margaret Paige" wrote

Old 04-03-2003, 10:06 AM
papa

This Beth Chatto picture gallery is very nice! Another excuse to dream and
not get anything useful done. :-)

Google images only finds one graphic - a plant portrait produced by
that doyen of British Horticulture - Beth Chatto (doesn't she write
well?)

http://www.bethchatto.co.uk/plant%20...%20macrophylla
..html

Old 04-03-2003, 08:41 PM
Margaret Paige

Thank you everybody for your reactions. Just shows you how "bad "handwriting
can lead to problems.
The descriptions and photos show me that this is definitely MY plant.

Thanks again,

Margaret

Old 06-03-2003, 11:35 PM
Hussein M.

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 21:41:27 +0100, "Margaret Paige"
wrotc:

Thank you everybody for your reactions. Just shows you how "bad "handwriting
can lead to problems.
The descriptions and photos show me that this is definitely MY plant.

Well we can start a fan club. I'm sorry about messing up my last
message. (Forgot to press the "button" on my clipboard utility).

Anyway edible uses should have read:
It would be worthwhile trying out the leaves of this species for
edibility. They are almost certainly not poisonous[K].

Cultivation should have read:
Requires a leafy soil and a damp shady position[187, 200]. Another
report says that it succeeds in dry soils and, once established,
tolerates drought[190]. Succeeds in heavy clays[200]. Very shade
tolerant[200]. Succeeds in full sun or partial shade[188].
Possibly hardy to about -15°c[187, 200].
Plants have persistent basal rosettes[200].

Propagation should have read:
Seed - sow autumn in a greenhouse[200]. When they are large enough to
handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and plant them
out in the summer.
Division in spring[200]. Very easy, larger divisions can be planted
out direct into their permanent positions. We have found that it is
better to pot up the smaller divisions and grow them on in light shade
in a cold frame until they are well established before planting them
out in late spring or early summer.
Basal cuttings in late spring[200]. Harvest the shoots with plenty of
underground stem when they are about 8 - 10cm above the ground. Pot
them up into individual pots and keep them in light shade in a cold
frame or greenhouse until they are rooting well. Plant them out in the
summer.
Thanks again,

Margaret