Old 20-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...

Personally, I would never freeze any vegetable without blanching: there
are some (food poisoning) bacteria which may be present in vegetables
which will multiply even at freezer temperatures.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Do commercial harvesters and freezers of say "Garden peas" blanche I wonder
?

Pete

Old 20-06-2005, 02:48 PM
pammyT

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in message

"Robert" wrote in message
Does anyone know if you can get away without blanching broad beans

please?
______________
I have always frozen my beans and have never blanched them. Give the

bag
a good shake after a few days and they will remain separated. I use the
dwarf varieties for flavour and volume~~ also freedom from blackfly.
Blanched vegetables I find quite unappetising~ Brussels~ horrible!!

Same here. Never blanched a thing in my life.

Old 20-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Peter Stockdale" contains these words:

Do commercial harvesters and freezers of say "Garden peas" blanche I wonder
?

Yes.

Old 20-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net contains these words:

I have always frozen my beans and have never blanched them. Give the
bag
a good shake after a few days and they will remain separated. I use the
dwarf varieties for flavour and volume~~ also freedom from blackfly.
Blanched vegetables I find quite unappetising~ Brussels~ horrible!!

Same here. Never blanched a thing in my life.

I don't blanch fruit, but all other veg get the treatment.

I generally fry mushrooms before freezing them: since most of the
flavour is fat-soluble, I can take them out, slice/dice/chop them and
add them straight to casseroles, etc.

Old 20-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Brian

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Peter Stockdale" contains these

words:

Do commercial harvesters and freezers of say "Garden peas" blanche I

wonder
?

Yes.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

________________
Many years ago I was at a conference where this question was asked.
Their answer was "We 'flash freeze' at much lower temperatures than you can
achieve and this avoids the need for other treatment".
They demonstrated that their methods could be used for strawberries and
keep them whole~ but actually broke when dropped!.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 20-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Robert

"Robert" wrote in message
: Does anyone know if you can get away without blanching broad beans please?
:
Thank you everybody, that's a job less to do by almost complete agreement

Old 20-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond contains these words:

Many years ago I was at a conference where this question was asked.
Their answer was "We 'flash freeze' at much lower temperatures than you can
achieve and this avoids the need for other treatment".
They demonstrated that their methods could be used for strawberries and
keep them whole~ but actually broke when dropped!.
Best Wishes Brian.

I did a fish handling course at Torrey Research Station and some
professor arrived with a big vacuum flask of liquid nitrogen and a small
cod.

Demonstrating that the cod was quite floppy, he dunked it in the liquid
nitrogen and left it on the desk for a bit. About five minutes later, if
that, he removed the cod and used it as a hammer to knock a six inch
nail into a block of wood.

Old 20-06-2005, 11:29 PM
pammyT

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in message
________________
Many years ago I was at a conference where this question was asked.
Their answer was "We 'flash freeze' at much lower temperatures than you

can
achieve and this avoids the need for other treatment".
They demonstrated that their methods could be used for strawberries

and
keep them whole~ but actually broke when dropped!.
Best Wishes Brian.

tsk typical macho display "oh look I can hammer a nail in with my cod piece"
;-)

Old 21-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Robert

"Robert" wrote in message
:
: "Robert" wrote in message
: ...
:: Does anyone know if you can get away without blanching broad beans
please?
::
: Thank you everybody, that's a job less to do by almost complete agreement
:
On second thoughts, I took notice of Peter and blanched them... better safe
than sorry

Old 21-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Robert" wrote in message

"Robert" wrote in message
:
: "Robert" wrote in message
: ...
:: Does anyone know if you can get away without blanching broad beans
please?
::
: Thank you everybody, that's a job less to do by almost complete
agreement
:
On second thoughts, I took notice of Peter and blanched them... better
safe
than sorry

Don't know where I have given "notice" of blanching.
I am actually on the fence on the issue.
Sorry that you got the wrong message.

Peter
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 21-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Robert

"Peter Stockdale" wrote in message
:
: "Robert" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Robert" wrote in message
: ...
: :
: : "Robert" wrote in message
: : ...
: :: Does anyone know if you can get away without blanching broad beans
: please?
: ::
: : Thank you everybody, that's a job less to do by almost complete
: agreement
: :
: On second thoughts, I took notice of Peter and blanched them... better
: safe
: than sorry
:
:
:
: Don't know where I have given "notice" of blanching.
: I am actually on the fence on the issue.
: Sorry that you got the wrong message.
:
: Peter
: www.thecanalshop.com
:
Sorry it was Jacques

Old 23-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Robert" wrote in message

Sorry it was Jacques

Accepted - confusion is not unlikely as J. dA signs as "Rusty" !

Pete

Old 23-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Tony Anson

"Robert" wrote in message

Sorry it was Jacques

Accepted - confusion is not unlikely as J. dA signs as "Rusty" !

And neither is my name...

--
Tony
Champagne certainly gives one werry gentlemanly ideas, but for a