Old 19-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Robert

Default Broad beans - freezing

Does anyone know if you can get away without blanching broad beans please?

Old 19-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Brian

"Robert" wrote in message
Does anyone know if you can get away without blanching broad beans please?

______________
I have always frozen my beans and have never blanched them. Give the bag
a good shake after a few days and they will remain separated. I use the
dwarf varieties for flavour and volume~~ also freedom from blackfly.
Blanched vegetables I find quite unappetising~ Brussels~ horrible!!
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 19-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Robert
writes
Does anyone know if you can get away without blanching broad beans please?

Yes, we never freeze them. Take them young while their skins are still
tender and freeze them asap after picking.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 19-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Robert
writes
Does anyone know if you can get away without blanching broad beans please?

Yes, we never freeze them. Take them young while their skins are still
tender and freeze them asap after picking.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Sorry, but this reply makes no sense .

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 19-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:40:27 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Stockdale"
wrote:

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Robert
writes
Does anyone know if you can get away without blanching broad beans please?

Yes, we never freeze them. Take them young while their skins are still
tender and freeze them asap after picking.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Sorry, but this reply makes no sense .

It makes perfect sense to me!

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Pam in Bristol

Old 19-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Yes, we never freeze them. Take them young while their skins are still
tender and freeze them asap after picking.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Sorry, but this reply makes no sense .

It makes perfect sense to me!

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Pam in Bristol

Your incorrect cutting of the message just makes it more senseless !!

Pete at Nanneys Bridge

Old 19-06-2005, 09:05 PM
CK

"Peter Stockdale" wrote in message

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Yes, we never freeze them. Take them young while their skins are still
tender and freeze them asap after picking.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Sorry, but this reply makes no sense .

It makes perfect sense to me!

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Pam in Bristol

Your incorrect cutting of the message just makes it more senseless !!

Pete at Nanneys Bridge

I think Alan and Joan's reply probably should have read " we never BLANCH
them " ???

Chris in Somerset

Old 19-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:53:38 +0100, "Peter Stockdale"
wrote:

Your incorrect cutting of the message just makes it more senseless !!

Pete at Nanneys Bridge

Oops! Blame the eyes. Yes, on second readiing, Alan did say" we never
freeze" but I did not notice it. Blane the eyes for that also.
Ignore my mistakes!

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Peter Stockdale

I think Alan and Joan's reply probably should have read " we never BLANCH
them " ???

Chris in Somerset

I sort of guessed that - CK. !!

People should take care to say what they mean.

Incidentally - what is the purpose of blanching ?

Pete in Cheshire

Old 19-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Kay

In article , Peter Stockdale
writes

I think Alan and Joan's reply probably should have read " we never BLANCH
them " ???

Chris in Somerset

I sort of guessed that - CK. !!

People should take care to say what they mean.

Incidentally - what is the purpose of blanching ?

Sterilisation. It used to be thought that unblanched veg would still
manage to go off even when frozen
--
Kay

Old 19-06-2005, 11:45 PM
CK

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Peter Stockdale
writes

I think Alan and Joan's reply probably should have read " we never BLANCH
them " ???

Chris in Somerset

I sort of guessed that - CK. !!

People should take care to say what they mean.

Incidentally - what is the purpose of blanching ?

Sterilisation. It used to be thought that unblanched veg would still
manage to go off even when frozen
--
Kay

No ~ not sterilization.
What blanching does is destroy some of the natural enzymes in the material
that can produce 'off' tastes after long storage in the freezer.

I don't blanch any of my produce for freezing, but try not to keep it too
long, and to use it in rotation.
Cheers,
Chris in Somerset

Old 20-06-2005, 05:35 AM
Alan Gould

In article , CK king@takeawaythenumb
eryoufirstthoughtof.pilton80.wanadoo.co.uk writes
I think Alan and Joan's reply probably should have read " we never BLANCH
them " ???

Correct. My thanks and apologies.

--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 20-06-2005, 09:06 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:40:27 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Stockdale"
wrote:
"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Robert
writes
Does anyone know if you can get away without blanching broad beans
please?

Yes, we never freeze them. Take them young while their skins are still
tender and freeze them asap after picking.

Sorry, but this reply makes no sense .

It makes perfect sense to me!

It makes no sense - full stop. However, if you allow for a senior
moment, just substitute 'blanch' for the first 'freeze'.

Personally, I would never freeze any vegetable without blanching: there
are some (food poisoning) bacteria which may be present in vegetables
which will multiply even at freezer temperatures.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 20-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Peter Stockdale" contains these words:

Incidentally - what is the purpose of blanching ?

Certain food-poisoning bacteria are present in some vegetables (I don't
know which, or whether it's a lottery whether they're there generally),
and the bugs you blanch to kill will multiply in very cold conditions -
not very fast, but the potential is there if the food isn't eaten fairly
quickly.

Old 20-06-2005, 09:12 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

Incidentally - what is the purpose of blanching ?

Sterilisation. It used to be thought that unblanched veg would still
manage to go off even when frozen

They can - but it doesn't mean to say that they will.