Old 06-03-2003, 07:10 PM
Martin Sykes

Default Poppies from Seed

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in
message ...
On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 00:55:20 -0000, "Mike Hunter"
wrote:

Like Martin, I grew oriental poppies in the greenhouse last year because

friend with only a small garden had asked me to start some off for her.
Germination was reasonable for most varieties (we had about 8 different)

and
transplanting them was not a problem.

Tell us more. What size containers did you use for the sowing?
How did you manage to sow the seeds thinly enough?

I just used standard seed trays. I sprinkled the seed all over the surface
of the compost and they germinated by the hundred if not thousand. A few
months later and the whole lot was completely tray-bound, I just ripped
clumps off and planted them as they were. No thinning or anything. That's
probably a terrible way to treat them but so far they haven't complained and
are growing fine. I suspect I may have to do a bit of thining later when
they start getting crowded. I also transplanted a few as single plants into
cellular trays in the greenhouse and they are also still growing fine.
Martin

Old 08-03-2003, 12:44 AM
Emrys Davies

'Lorraine',

I have lots of Welsh poppy seeds which I will arrange to send you if you
'phone me on 0121 743 0840.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Newbie Gardener" wrote in message
Thankyou for all the replies! It was really interesting reading them.

I think
I'll start some indoors and the rest I'll sow in situ. BTW if anyone

happens to
have any poppy seeds they don't want *hint, hint* ;o)

Lorraine (aka poor student)

Old 08-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Emrys Davies

'Lorraine',

This site shows quite a good photograph of a poppy seedling and
hopefully it will be of some help to you when weeding.

http://davesgarden.com/t/247953/

If you want a brightish yellow poppy which has a long season of
flowering, get 'Welsh Poppy'. But, be warned, it spreads all over the
place.

http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/m...ambrica_WP.htm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Newbie Gardener" wrote in message
All the seed packets seem to say poppies should be sowed where the are

flower. Is there anyone who has had success sowing them indoors and
transplanting them? I'm scared I wont be able to tell them apart from

any
annual weeds that spring up.

Thanks for any help
Lorraine