Old 22-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

/snip/

If it has
appeared in other groups, fine. I don't agree with your judgment that
crossposting is better

There are various technical reasons why it is better. Also, multi-
posts tend to be answered seperately in each NG, so there's no
cross-over of replies. If someone else in uk.rec.gardening had
the same problem, for instance, and an excellent solution came
up in uk.d-i-y, then the URGler wouldn't know!

Unless the OP handled the job sensibly. But...

much spam and trolling is crossposted, which is
why I kill items which have been crossposted to more than one other
group.

That's true. However, with a more relaxed policy of KFing
items x-psoted to (say) three groups, I don't think you'll
have a problem. I'm actually surprised at how little spam
and trolling is x-postde.

You haven't met whisper closer! Closer still! - Emm Eye Five Mike -
/whisper then? Sometimes thirty or forty of his witterings fall into
my killfile - in a lump.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 22-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

Thank you all for your replies. My apologies if I upset anyone by
asking the same question here and on D-I-Y, in my ignorance I thought
that was preferable to cross posting.

Don't worry - the only rule in Usenet is that there are no rules - just
accepted practice, and you learn that as you go along.

Old 22-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:18:14 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

Zax wrote:
I think diatomeous earth is similar to Fuller's earth, found in some cat
litters, which may be worth a try to absorb it as it's easy to find and
cheap.

Most Fullers Earth is used in paper manufacture. I am not aware of
its use in cat litter in the UK.

Very little Fuller's Earth (aka bentonite) is used in paper making.
The colour's too dirty for a start. Are you're thinking of kaolin?
Large chunks of Surrey were dug up in the past to provide FE for cat
litter amongst other things, but I think the deposits are mostly
exhausted now.

I second the idea of trying FE on tarry railway sleepers!

--
Chris