Old 24-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:
Ted wrote:

::::: Its too heartbreaking for words

but it's just a pain in the arse reading stuff attriubted to you which you
haven't written.

YABDAICM£5

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 24-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Phil L

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
:: The message
:: from "Phil L" contains these words:
::: Ted wrote:
::
:::::::: Its too heartbreaking for words
::
::: but it's just a pain in the arse reading stuff attriubted to you
::: which you haven't written.
::
:: YABDAICM£5
::

Who's BD? and shouldn't that be FP?

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 24-06-2005, 02:40 PM
spakker

"The Reids" wrote in message
Following up to shazzbat

We've just had our first rain for a fortnight :-))

Five minutes worth :-))

more than that in south London, right after I watered the
allotment!
--
Mike Reid

It's been chucking it down since 10am. and still going strong- no thunder or
lightening-in Hull- usually most rain goes past us as we're barely above
sea-level

Old 24-06-2005, 04:07 PM
pammyT

"The Reids" wrote in message
Following up to Janet Baraclough

Does anyone else think Britain's north/south climates are more
different than they used to be? Whatever's going on in the middle bit?

they were when I was in Shetland, biggest gap ever, mother in law
on phone saying its 90F in London, car reading 3C.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can

email us@ this site
Eat-walk-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all, it's a

spamtrap
We have had about 3 hours of torrential rain here in North Cambs. still
warm and muggy though. Only just starting to thunder now though. My poor
parched garden must be very grateful for the drenching.

Old 24-06-2005, 04:52 PM
The Reids

Following up to pammyT

they were when I was in Shetland, biggest gap ever, mother in law
on phone saying its 90F in London, car reading 3C.

We have had about 3 hours of torrential rain here in North Cambs. still
warm and muggy though. Only just starting to thunder now though. My poor
parched garden must be very grateful for the drenching.

Trouble with these storms is they can be so local, wouldn't be
surprised if it missed our allotment!

Old 24-06-2005, 04:55 PM
June Hughes

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
Ted wrote:

::::: Its too heartbreaking for words

but it's just a pain in the arse reading stuff attriubted to you which you
haven't written.

YABDAICM£5

Who is BD? I thought it was LL.
--
June Hughes
Old 24-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Kay

In article , spakker december13@dec
ember13.karoo.co.uk writes

"The Reids" wrote in message
.. .
Following up to shazzbat

We've just had our first rain for a fortnight :-))

Five minutes worth :-))

more than that in south London, right after I watered the
allotment!
--
Mike Reid

It's been chucking it down since 10am. and still going strong- no thunder or
lightening-in Hull- usually most rain goes past us as we're barely above
sea-level

Sounds like you've got our rain then. We were forecast 3cm in Leeds, and
so far have had hardly a drop.

--
Kay

Old 24-06-2005, 04:56 PM
June Hughes

In message , Klara
writes
In message , JB
writes
more than that in south London, right after I watered the
allotment!

Nothing at all in Sussex. It's still hot dry and dusty and right now I
expect to have to water the allotment this evening.

Must be the North/South divide: rain in Watford, rain in south London,
but not a drop here...

Just a light shower here, 5m south of the M25 north.
--
June Hughes
Old 24-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "nambucca" contains these words:

Well theres no sign of rain down here and while last week my garden was

lush and green today its parched desert .......havent had any rain for at
least 5 weeks
Another year like the last 3 with these scorching weeks on dry sandy soil
and i will give up and sell up
Its too heartbreaking for words to see the way the climate has changed my
garden for the worst despite always piling on lashings of compost

Have you read Beth Chatto's book about her gravel garden? She
planted stuff adapted to the conditions and made a virtue of it.

I suspect a lot of UK gardeners are going to make some drastic
changes to what ornamental plants they grow, in coming years. Here,
it's been so wet that springs are coming up where they never did
before, because the volume of water has washed new courses underground
My neighbour got one under his house, which has caused some headaches.
We have one in a corner of the drive and I suspect another in the
middle of a lawn. More bog gardens beckon :-) But that's only an option
for ornamental plants; it's harder to see what veg and fruit will
endure cool cloudy summers with this level of rainfall and
nutrient-leaching.

Janet

Old 24-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

::: but it's just a pain in the arse reading stuff attriubted to you
::: which you haven't written.
::
:: YABDAICM£5
::

Who's BD? and shouldn't that be FP?

Benjamin Disraeli - "When I want to read a novel, I write one."

Old 24-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "spakker" contains these words:

It's been chucking it down since 10am. and still going strong- no thunder or
lightening-in Hull- usually most rain goes past us as we're barely above
sea-level

Barely enough to bedew the surface here in Norfolk.

Old 24-06-2005, 10:17 PM
June Hughes

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from "spakker" contains these words:

It's been chucking it down since 10am. and still going strong- no thunder or
lightening-in Hull- usually most rain goes past us as we're barely above
sea-level

Barely enough to bedew the surface here in Norfolk.

Oh! I didn't know, or had forgotten, that you are in Norfolk. M-in-L,
of whom I am very fond, lives in Wymondham.
--
June Hughes
Old 25-06-2005, 01:36 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

Oh! I didn't know, or had forgotten, that you are in Norfolk. M-in-L,
of whom I am very fond, lives in Wymondham.

Ah. There is as much as one bus a week from my village to Wymondham. I
have walked it, but it's around five miles so I don't do it when I feel
like some fish and chips...

Old 25-06-2005, 08:33 AM
June Hughes

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

Oh! I didn't know, or had forgotten, that you are in Norfolk. M-in-L,
of whom I am very fond, lives in Wymondham.

Ah. There is as much as one bus a week from my village to Wymondham. I
have walked it, but it's around five miles so I don't do it when I feel
like some fish and chips...

I shall be up there in July. I had intended to contact Judith (she of
the golden slippers) but have not yet got round to it.

After last night's downpour, we have many drooping plants in the garden
and I have to tackle our pond filter-cleaning today, which means
fighting my way through the sodden masses. Great stuff for a Saturday
morning.
--
June Hughes
Old 25-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

/slip/

After last night's downpour, we have many drooping plants in the garden
and I have to tackle our pond filter-cleaning today, which means
fighting my way through the sodden masses. Great stuff for a Saturday
morning.

A bit of light but steady rain last night. It put a couple of inches in
the water butt.

Butt it only put a couple of inches in the water?

We had two inches last night, but only in the butt?