Old 19-01-2010, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Home made pot compost.

I have a good supply of well rotted compost and leaf mould. what is the
best formulae for potting compost, and it is desirable to add any
fertilisers?
--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 19-01-2010, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have a good supply of well rotted compost and leaf mould. what is the
best formulae for potting compost, and it is desirable to add any
fertilisers?
--

I have a blue book in which I note "useful things", you know, the sort of
things you knew you read somewhere and now need to know.

Tina

Old 19-01-2010, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 17:39:36 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have a good supply of well rotted compost and leaf mould. what is the
best formulae for potting compost, and it is desirable to add any
fertilisers?
--

I have a blue book in which I note "useful things", you know, the sort of
things you knew you read somewhere and now need to know.
Somewhere in there is how to replicate various types of John Innes
compost,
would you like me to get the blue book out and post the recipe?

There are websites with all the necessary information. Maybe easier to use
one
than to type your note book? :-)

http://www.the-organic-gardener.com/making-compost.html

That would be "no" then.
Ah well.
Just wait until you want something from my blue book...
Maybe only I know it ;-)

Tina

Old 19-01-2010, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have a good supply of well rotted compost and leaf mould. what is the
best formulae for potting compost, and it is desirable to add any
fertilisers?
--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

It surely depends on what you're intending to grow or plant in it. For
seeds, you may have to sterilise it - I remember my father doing that. For
bulbs you need to add some sharp sand or grit for drainage and some charcoal
to keep the compost sweet, especially if planting in containers. Bulbs
(full-sized flowering-size bulbs, that is) carry their own food supply for
that flowering season. After flowering, you would need to feed to help
build up the bulb again. For large plants (ie small trees and shrubs), you
will need to add loam/top soil for stability. It would also be a good idea
to do a ph test, particularly if you want to grow ericaceous or calcareous
plants (acid-lovers and lime-lovers, respectively) in it. Subject to ph
value, I should think most woodland plants would love it. It would also be
excellent for mulching.

For seed compost, you should leave fertiliser out. Many vegetable crops
require heavy feeding. In your position, I would give priority to the
structure of the compost, taking into consideration the requirement of each
plant type. When I blend composts, the feed is the last - though
important - consideration.

Spider

Old 20-01-2010, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
I have a good supply of well rotted compost and leaf mould. what is the
best formulae for potting compost, and it is desirable to add any
fertilisers?
--

I have a blue book in which I note "useful things", you know, the sort of
things you knew you read somewhere and now need to know.
Somewhere in there is how to replicate various types of John Innes compost,
would you like me to get the blue book out and post the recipe?

Tina

Thanks for your kind offer Tina, however I have gone to the web site
recommended by Martin, so got all the info I need.

Old 21-01-2010, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 19:47:48 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

I was trying to save you work. If your recipe is different by all means go
ahead
and post it. :-)
--

No. Shan't!
Get it on the internet

Old 24-01-2010, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-19 19:47:48 +0000, "Christina Websell"

wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

Isn't that what people usedd to call a 'commonplace book'? I think it was
usually to write down snips of poetry and such things but why not compost
recipes, considering the beautiful results they produce! ;-)
--

All sorts of things are in my blue book, old recipes, tips about chickens,
gardening and more. Not everything is on the internet.

Old 24-01-2010, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-24 15:43:30 +0000, "Christina Websell"

On 2010-01-19 19:47:48 +0000, "Christina Websell"

wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

Especially not the little tips friends or older family members pass down.
What an interesting book to have. You should think about publishing that,
Tina - there seems to be a market for that sort of thing now.
--

Nah. I gathered it together myself and it's still ongoing. I expect when I
die my brothers will throw it away.

Old 29-01-2010, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...

lots of things are in my blue book, old recipes, tips about
chickens,
gardening and more. Not everything is on the internet.
Tina

Especially not the little tips friends or older family members pass
down.
What an interesting book to have. You should think about publishing
that,
Tina - there seems to be a market for that sort of thing now.
--

Nah. I gathered it together myself and it's still ongoing. I expect
when I
die my brothers will throw it away.
They don't need to know about grafting apples, or indeed most of the
things
that are in my blue book. They are mostly old-fashioned, but there is a
good refried beans recipe, elderberry & runner bean wine recipe..

I think it sounds like one of those books people will dig out a century
hence and treasure. Don't let them throw it away - leave it to a much
younger somebody or even a local museum. All those tips are going to be
lost you know!
--

I know. Nobody in my family will want it. It seems such a shame that all I
know will disappear.

Old 29-01-2010, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jennifer Sparkes" wrote in message
The message
from "Christina Websell" contains these
words:

lots of things are in my blue book, old recipes, tips about

big snip
I know. Nobody in my family will want it. It seems such a shame that all
know will disappear.
All about how to settle a broody hen on her eggs, how to get a cade lamb
feed. What seeds need to be frozen to be viable. All in my blue book.

Sounds like you need to try and get it published Tina, far too
much useful info to just get thrown away.

I never even thought about that, it was just for my own use, really and is
still ongoing.
Here's a tip from it about turkey chicks. They are notoriously difficult to
start feeding on turkey crumbs and lots of mortality. All you do is chop up
the green part of spring onions, add it to the crumbs and they will feed.
For some reason turkey babies *love* oniony things.
Now I bet you didn't know that but my blue book does ;-)

Tina
P.S.Turkeys are one of the few poultry species I've never kept but hey, one
day I might and I now know how to get day olds to eat.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

snip

I am going to a Day School at Bristol Uni next Saturday:-
"The Path to Publication"

If I get any useful advice/tips would you be interested?

... and no I am not a writer but am interested in getting my late
husband's
'mumbles' about the time during WW2 when he was 'on loan' to the Indian
Airforce published.

It's probably not ready yet, but thanks for the offer. I may get back to
you. I sort of like the idea, but there probably should be a lot more to
make it viable.
Tina