Old 24-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Registered User

Question perfect lawn?

I mow the back lawn and wife does front. I believe in cutting to 1/2 inch length. She believes in cutting as low as possible.

I think I will change the lawn and slowly get rid of moss and weeds. Cutting it too short surely allows flat growing daisies too much of an advantage (and the moss)

Who is right (or more right)
Old 24-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Mike Lyle

JohnOGroats wrote:
I mow the back lawn and wife does front. I believe in cutting to

1/2
inch length. She believes in cutting as low as possible.

I think I will change the lawn and slowly get rid of moss and

weeds.
Cutting it too short surely allows flat growing daisies too much of

an
advantage (and the moss)

Who is right (or more right)

You are. Half an inch is quite short enough -- for some varieties,
it's too short. You need to leave the grasses with enough green leaf
to photosynthesize; otherwise moss gets an advantage. I won't
adjudicate about the daisies, as I prefer a lawn to have them; but,
yes, ground-hugging rosette-forming weeds won't be damaged by mowing,
however short.

--
Mike.