Old 29-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Registered User

Default Tree problem

Could anyone tell me, if when cutting down a large tree, you can just cut it across the bottom at the root. Will this stop the tree from growing? Or do I have dig out the roots? Thanks Brendy
Old 29-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendy
Could anyone tell me, if when cutting down a large tree, you can just cut it across the bottom at the root. Will this stop the tree from growing? Or do I have dig out the roots? Thanks Brendy

Depends what kind of tree it is!!
Old 29-06-2005, 08:50 PM
Registered User

[quote=kate7][/QUOTE it's a spruce tree Kate]
Old 29-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Mike Lyle

Brendy wrote:
kate7 Wrote:
it's a spruce tree Kate

In that case, knock it off as soon as you like, please: it doesn't
fit our ecosystem or our aesthetic very well.. And no, it won't
regrow from the base. Or if it does, you've probably got an
interesting cultivar which may or may not be worth propagating.

--
Mike.

Old 30-06-2005, 01:13 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Brendy wrote:
kate7 Wrote:
it's a spruce tree Kate

In that case, knock it off as soon as you like, please: it doesn't
fit our ecosystem or our aesthetic very well.. And no, it won't
regrow from the base. Or if it does, you've probably got an
interesting cultivar which may or may not be worth propagating.

However, the roots may get in the way.

If you cut the tree down and *THEN* try to remove them, you're making a
lot of extra work for yourself.

If it's a big tree, my advice would be to cut off the lower branches so
you can work under it, attach a rope to a solid bit of trunk as high as
you can, then dig round and cut as many roots as you can find. A sharp
spade usually suffices, but a big tree might need a mattock to do the
job.

Then just pull the tree over and the roots will come out on the end of it...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 30-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendy
Could anyone tell me, if when cutting down a large tree, you can just cut it across the bottom at the root. Will this stop the tree from growing? Or do I have dig out the roots? Thanks Brendy
Make sure there's noone nesting in it first!
The council took a spruce down near me last year that had some doves nesting in it. Very sad...
Old 30-06-2005, 03:18 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

Brendy wrote:
kate7 Wrote:
it's a spruce tree Kate

In that case, knock it off as soon as you like, please: it doesn't
fit our ecosystem or our aesthetic very well.. And no, it won't
regrow from the base. Or if it does, you've probably got an
interesting cultivar which may or may not be worth propagating.

However, the roots may get in the way.

If you cut the tree down and *THEN* try to remove them, you're making a
lot of extra work for yourself.

If it's a big tree, my advice would be to cut off the lower branches so
you can work under it, attach a rope to a solid bit of trunk as high as
you can, then dig round and cut as many roots as you can find. A sharp
spade usually suffices, but a big tree might need a mattock to do the
job.

Then just pull the tree over and the roots will come out on the end of it...

Poor advice imho. As the roots are cut, they would no longer anchor
the weight of the (heavy) trunk branches and foliage, and the whole tree
might fall suddenly, in an unintended direction. You certainly don't
have enough oomph from a rope held from the ground, to influence that
direction. Trees weigh more than people.

Better to fell it leaving a stump 2 or 3 ft high. Then excavate round
the roots, severing them, and use the stump as a lever to get them out.

Janet.
Old 30-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

Then just pull the tree over and the roots will come out on the end
of it...

Poor advice imho.

I've been felling trees professionally for nearly fifty years, so i do
know what I'm talking about. We've never had an accident yet, and we've
taken down possbly the two tallest trees in London.

I can assure you that it's perfectly good advice. Of course, you
wouldn't do it in a high wind, but spruces tend to grow straight up, and
are not a heavy tree in relation to their height even when fully grown.

You can see one small job at:

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

It was in the back garden of a council house, BTW.

As the roots are cut, they would no longer anchor
the weight of the (heavy) trunk branches and foliage, and the whole tree
might fall suddenly, in an unintended direction. You certainly don't
have enough oomph from a rope held from the ground, to influence that
direction. Trees weigh more than people.

Spruce trees fall over slowly. Unless considerable effort is applied you
could cut the roots and wait until the next gale. And the trunks are not
heavy, neither is the foliage.

Better to fell it leaving a stump 2 or 3 ft high. Then excavate round
the roots, severing them, and use the stump as a lever to get them out.

Now that *IS* bad advice: it's just making extra work for yourself: the
longer the lever, the easier it will come out.

--
Rusty
Old 01-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Phil L

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
:: I can assure you that it's perfectly good advice. Of course, you
:: wouldn't do it in a high wind, but spruces tend to grow straight
:: up, and are not a heavy tree in relation to their height even when
:: fully grown.
::
:: You can see one small job at:
::
:: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
::

That's just a photo of a record player and half a dozen links to 'shed'
sites.

and a floating dartboard for some reason.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

:: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
::

That's just a photo of a record player and half a dozen links to 'shed'
sites.

and a floating dartboard for some reason.

Sorry, parked that and forgot I'd not added the pic - which I had to FTP
first, then forgot I'd parked the item...

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/temp/elm.jpg

--
Rusty

Dig up tree root from large Cedar tree without Killing Tree? Albert[_4_] Gardening 8 12-08-2008 01:37 PM
A Buxus Problem, and a Pelargonium problem :-( ZoeM United Kingdom 11 18-07-2008 09:08 AM
Pecan tree problem... Gene S Texas 2 23-04-2003 05:56 AM
Peach tree - too much (!) fruit ---- I too have this problem. Ace Edible Gardening 1 16-04-2003 04:44 PM
A problem with Pin Oak Tree galls... Help!! ABC Gardening 1 09-04-2003 12:56 AM